Mobil 1 0W/20 Annual Protection Virgin Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Raidin
I'm able to run Mobil 1's 0W20 EP to 26k miles. The TBN holds up and I could go further (currently on my first 28k OCI).

I'm not sure what the draw is with this new AP type, since EP's TBN is higher, unless like some have said, the additive package lasts longer. If the price of the oil drops, I'd be up for testing it.

If Mobil is telling the truth, and all those PhD's they employ who have ExxonMobil-owned patents regarding anti-oxidant additives & other areas are paying off for them, then Mobil1 Annual Protection is worth the $5 price premium (per 5-quart jug, or about 1 sump) over M1 EP.

I generally like to use the best technology available if it doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg extra over yesterday's tech, and this stuff is really not that much more expensive. Kind of like spending $1 extra for the privilege of running a superior Fram Ultra oil filter; the logic is the same; spend a little more, you have quality.

Dude, you should start a thread on that 2014 Lexus ct200h with 330k miles you own. Should seriously contact Toyota to see if they want to buy it back for durability studies thats so many miles which is rare. Sometimes a car maker will buy them from you and tear them down.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Thanks DuckRyder. This confirms that the analysis won't tell us anything about this oil. It's all in components that don't show on a VOA.

And you can bet your next paycheck on that statement.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I'm able to run Mobil 1's 0W20 EP to 26k miles. The TBN holds up and I could go further (currently on my first 28k OCI).

I'm not sure what the draw is with this new AP type, since EP's TBN is higher, unless like some have said, the additive package lasts longer. If the price of the oil drops, I'd be up for testing it.

If Mobil is telling the truth, and all those PhD's they employ who have ExxonMobil-owned patents regarding anti-oxidant additives & other areas are paying off for them, then Mobil1 Annual Protection is worth the $5 price premium (per 5-quart jug, or about 1 sump) over M1 EP.

I generally like to use the best technology available if it doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg extra over yesterday's tech, and this stuff is really not that much more expensive. Kind of like spending $1 extra for the privilege of running a superior Fram Ultra oil filter; the logic is the same; spend a little more, you have quality.

Dude, you should start a thread on that 2014 Lexus ct200h with 330k miles you own. Should seriously contact Toyota to see if they want to buy it back for durability studies thats so many miles which is rare. Sometimes a car maker will buy them from you and tear them down.

Where I am, the 5qt jug of EP is $25, while the same size jug for AP is $40 (was $50). Doesn't feel worth it to me. You also have to consider that if the oil filter can't last as long as the oil, then the longer possible OCI loses its convenience and any cost-benefit it may offer. I'm currently testing a 28k OCI to see if the filter can keep up, as Blackstone Labs feels the oil can.

As far as a thread is concerned, I keep my fellow CT owners up to date on my car over at CT forums on other sites. Never thought about doing a thread here. About the closest thing is a long thread over at the bypass filtration system, since I once considered getting one, but was unable to find space anywhere in my car to fit one.

Where I am, the 5qt jug of EP is $25, while the same size jug for AP is $40 (was $50). Doesn't feel worth it to me. You also have to consider that if the oil filter can't last as long as the oil, then the longer possible OCI loses its convenience and any cost-benefit it may offer. I'm currently testing a 28k OCI to see if the filter can keep up, as Blackstone Labs feels the oil can.

If the Walmart $10 e-Gift Card is still available (I think it is), then it is actually $40 - $10 = $30 at Walmart only, putting M1 Annual Protection within just $5 of M1 EP in the 5-quart jug.

On the oil filter, you can use a Fram Ultra XG10358 for the most dirt-holding capacity available on the market (depth filtering synthetic media). Fram claims 20k miles using that one.

Last edited:

If the Walmart $10 e-Gift Card is still available (I think it is), then it is actually $40 - $10 = $30 at Walmart only, putting M1 Annual Protection within just $5 of M1 EP in the 5-quart jug.

On the oil filter, you can use a Fram Ultra XG10358 for the most dirt-holding capacity available on the market (depth filtering synthetic media). Fram claims 20k miles using that one.

I'm not sure how to see about that gift card. Walmart.com just shows it at $39.84 (save $10) and that's it.

As for the filter. I choose Wix because at the time, Fram did not offer an ultra model for my car at all. I looked just now, and you're right, the same one you quoted is right there listed. I am going to have to try it.

I'm not sure how to see about that gift card. Walmart.com just shows it at $39.84 (save $10) and that's it.
OK, that might be in-store Walmart purchases, to get the $10 e-GiftCard thingie. AFAIK

About oil filters, what you're doing is similar to what MicroGreen touts for their oil filters. They say change oil filters at 10k miles, and do complete oil change at 30k miles. Knowing an Ultra can do 20k miles all day long, you could change oil filters every 20k and oil every 30k. (???) Just my thoughts. (Side note: If somebody reads the 20k/30k plan here 10 years from now, they will laugh and say "Thats what we do in 2027.")

Last edited:
The inconvenience of doing this, plus the labor cost and the oil that I would have to replace, would make it not worth doing. This was an issue with the bypass filter system I thought about getting, which made it a harder sell.

Interesting to compare the Ca and Mg amounts from PQIA's http://www.pqiadata.org/Mobil1_0W20_dexos.html to this M1 Ann Prot (NAPA oil analysis we'll take). The amounts are about the same, yet one is a 10k mile oil and the other is a 20k mile oil !!! Also compare M1 AFE to this M1 Ann Prot in moly & boron, and they again match up. I'm guessing magical antioxidants and better base oil might be the only diff between M1 AFE and M1 Ann Prot, who knows(?).

I'm guessing it's essentially the same oil in a different wrapper, with the 60% price increase to cover any claims that occur from failures at <20k. However, considering there are already several oils robust enough to make 20k under the right conditions, their risk is likely very low. Risk analysis + big balls = money in shareholders' pockets. It's simple capitalism.

OK, that might be in-store Walmart purchases, to get the $10 e-GiftCard thingie. AFAIK

About oil filters, what you're doing is similar to what MicroGreen touts for their oil filters. They say change oil filters at 10k miles, and do complete oil change at 30k miles. Knowing an Ultra can do 20k miles all day long, you could change oil filters every 20k and oil every 30k. (???) Just my thoughts. (Side note: If somebody reads the 20k/30k plan here 10 years from now, they will laugh and say "Thats what we do in 2027.")

I got the WM gift card with an in-store purchase, but I think that offer ended on 9/7.
Probably wouldn't have spent $40 for the 5W30 jug without the gift card and rebate.

when i pay xtra $$$ i want to know why!! may as well use Redline IMO, but being retired + having several rides bikes included the Mobil xtended protect is yearly + under 10,000 miles + changing a filter is quite easy as i do it @ 6 months using a quality filter, not fram for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back