Mixing Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am looking for a bit of advice as far as mixing some left over 0W-20 oil I have. A while back I picked up Rural King quarts for $2 or so, and stocked up. I currently have 6 remaining, along with 6 quarts of left over 0W-20 oils, specifically, 2 quarts of M1 AFE, 2 Pennzoil Platinum quarts, and 2 Castrol in the black bottle. Would mixing the 6 quarts of Rural King with 2 quarts of the others be fine? I know they all meet spec, so I know it wouldn’t void my warranty, but if you all could chime in with your .02... my ‘17 Silverado takes 8 quarts.

Go ahead. Keep the OCI on the short side. I don’t like mixing oils to try to make some custom super blend, but to use up a bunch of odd quarts sure. Just keep the oci to 5k. When you mix oils you don’t know exactly what you end up with or how the additives will work together. The biggest concern is cold cranking performance may no longer meet spec.

Originally Posted By: Chevy17
Hello all. I am looking for a bit of advice as far as mixing some left over 0W-20 oil I have. A while back I picked up Rural King quarts for $2 or so, and stocked up. I currently have 6 remaining, along with 6 quarts of left over 0W-20 oils, specifically, 2 quarts of M1 AFE, 2 Pennzoil Platinum quarts, and 2 Castrol in the black bottle. Would mixing the 6 quarts of Rural King with 2 quarts of the others be fine? I know they all meet spec, so I know it wouldn’t void my warranty, but if you all could chime in with your .02... my ‘17 Silverado takes 8 quarts.

You are good-to-go.... blend away. Won't hurt a thing and all compatible.

There's little evidence that doing much of anything will void your warranty in regards to oil, but at the same time your resulting mixture has no guarantee meeting any spec whatsoever. The individual oils with their specific additive packages meet the listed specs, but now you are the blender, not them.

You will get answers both ways on this subject.

Another option; pick one brand and purchase the remainder to make 8 quarts. Then continue with that idea for your next couple of oil changes. That way you would have the same brand in the sump.

Don't need the same brand in that engine. Don't need to shorten OCI either.
It's all good. I've been blending oils for over 25 years. First & last owner of my vehicles.
I just don;t run the snot out of my oils. Just keep the OCI 8K or under.

I would, unfortunately for me I am 100+ miles from the nearest store that sells Rural King, and with Pennzoil rebates I am only paying $13 for 5 quarts, so it makes sense to just stick with Pennzoil.

I’ve heard that before. At the end of the day, I’m sure I’ll be okay using 6/2. The worst that will happen is I may not be confident running 5k miles.

What’s the worst clash the additives could have?

They could neutralize one another, or interfere with tribofilm build-up. Different amounts and types of VII can affect the viscosity in unexpected ways.

It won’t blow up, but you don’t know what the properties of your mix are. Lots of R&D goes into formulating an PCMO. It’s better to stick with one oil when possible so you have a known tested formula.

It’s not gonna blow up, but the properties of your mix will be unknown. I would keep the oci on the short side

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There's little evidence that doing much of anything will void your warranty in regards to oil, but at the same time your resulting mixture has no guarantee meeting any spec whatsoever. The individual oils with their specific additive packages meet the listed specs, but now you are the blender, not them.

This is false. Mixing oils you will still achieve the minimum spec that either oil has. "Guarantee" has no basis here, no manufacturer will guarantee anything that is not 100% their product. Guarantee has no basis in real world either, can you wait till an engine fails and make a claim that any brand will reimburse you for? Usually no.

So, don't mix generic junk with high quality oil and expect high quality oil specs. Mix high quality oil with high quality oil and expect high quality oil specs, of whatever viscosity is determined by the ratio of the two mixed together.

There is nothing wrong with mixing oils and ironically, it is foolish human limitations that results in our rounding off viscosities to 5 or 10 number increments. The difference is slight, perhaps not enough to bother thinking about, but the truth is that in any season with any vehicle, the absolute ideal viscosity will seldom be one that falls on a particular 5 or 10 rounded off number.

Granted that is more effort than will bear fruit for the average consumer in a climate with variable weather, but for a fixed industrial use, it can be calculated what the ideal viscosity is and it's got a decimal point, isn't at all a number rounded off to a 5 or 10.

No, what you write is not true. The specs listed for the oil are based on the formulation as purchased. Change it, and once again there is no guarantee it still meets those same specs. The manufacturer absolutely does guarantee it carries the specs listed, but by changing the formulation that is no longer the case. You even say so in your post.

Why do you think oils have to be recertified due to formulation changes? Have you ever heard of post-Katrina Mobil 1 when it lost the starburst? Why do you think that happened?

Originally Posted By: Dave9
This is false. Mixing oils you will still achieve the minimum spec that either oil has. "Guarantee" has no basis here, no manufacturer will guarantee anything that is not 100% their product. Guarantee has no basis in real world either, can you wait till an engine fails and make a claim that any brand will reimburse you for? Usually no.

So, don't mix generic junk with high quality oil and expect high quality oil specs. Mix high quality oil with high quality oil and expect high quality oil specs, of whatever viscosity is determined by the ratio of the two mixed together.

There is nothing wrong with mixing oils and ironically, it is foolish human limitations that results in our rounding off viscosities to 5 or 10 number increments. The difference is slight, perhaps not enough to bother thinking about, but the truth is that in any season with any vehicle, the absolute ideal viscosity will seldom be one that falls on a particular 5 or 10 rounded off number.

Granted that is more effort than will bear fruit for the average consumer in a climate with variable weather, but for a fixed industrial use, it can be calculated what the ideal viscosity is and it's got a decimal point, isn't at all a number rounded off to a 5 or 10.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
No, what you write is not true. The specs listed for the oil are based on the formulation as purchased. Change it, and once again there is no guarantee it still meets those same specs. The manufacturer absolutely does guarantee it carries the specs listed, but by changing the formulation that is no longer the case. You even say so in your post.

Why do you think oils have to be recertified due to formulation changes? Have you ever heard of post-Katrina Mobil 1 when it lost the starburst? Why do you think that happened?

Originally Posted By: Dave9

Very Good post kschachn.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3503628/Re:_The_oft_quoted_ASTM_D6922

Discussion on what the miscibility standard actually offers the casual mixer.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3503628/Re:_The_oft_quoted_ASTM_D6922

Discussion on what the miscibility standard actually offers the casual mixer.

That was one of the shortest thread I've seen in bitog!

So what happens to people who are a quart low (4 to 5 qt. Sump) and grab some oil from gas station?
Do you have to top up with same oil and how much can you mix in with no issues? Is %5-10 ok?

You've got to do what you've got to do...I carry spare.

However back in the day, there was a particularly prevalent poster who maintained.
* Mixing TGMO 0W20 with M1 0W40 would "of course" be a 0W
* The mix of oils would by definition meet all of the engine tests that the parent oils met

When all the test offers is what it offers, none of the above, and the "nothing will blow up" standard of performance.

(next attempt at justifying mixing (calling it blending) was that the Base oil interchange guidelines give a read across for certain tests, and that mixing fully formulated engine oils, and claiming that the mix met specs because of Appendix E was justified).

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3660366/Re:_API_Base_oil_interchange_g

Massive leaps of Bovine grass byproducts to baffle the observer with what sounds like science.

Bovine grass byproducts
lol.gif

Phrase of the month winner
smile.gif

I carry spare also when we are travelling ... However we have one annoying car (5.27 qt.) and last time I was changing oil, added some conventional to 5 qt. of synthetic. I didn't want to navigate to the corner of the garage through bunch of junk and get more syn ... the dino was nearby
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back