Mismatched Struts on the Same Axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
That's unbelievable, what are they doing? Selling high dollar parts for a failed piece of rubber I guess.
That's almost as bad as GM/Opel that welded the U joints cups in and you had to buy a complete 2 piece drive shaft with center carrier bearing or so they thought, they didn't count on mechanics using Ford joints with inner C clips.

No other Toyota model uses the same bushings?

Toyota does not sell any bushings separately.

However, I did some research today and learning something new.

Moog sells part #K200912 as a "problem solver" bushing for the 10-17 RX350/450, 01-15 Highlander, 09-15 Venza, 04-10 Sienna, 09-15 Venza and 02-12 Camry Front LCA Applications. This is a ball-and-socket design which replaces the traditional rubber bushing:

http://fme-cat.com/LiveDocs/Control Arm Bushings_Sheet.pdf
http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail....0CAMRY&vin=

I checked multiple aftermarket catalogs and confirmed that the 2004 Highlander V6 uses the exact same control arm as the 2004 RX330. In fact, Moog specs the same RK620334/RK620333 LCA's for both vehicles. But for some unknown reason, the K200912 bushing is only listed for the Highlanders; the RX is missing from the supported applications list. I think it is an error.

So, I am going to order a few sets of these K200912 bushings and try them out. They are only $20/bushing and they are something different (hopefully improved) than the generic offshore bushings which are otherwise available.

Last edited:
Yes I use them on some GM FWD cars, you know the ones that tear when you just lift the car when they are a few years old, its like a sealed heim joint. They work well and are an improvement over the rubber, Ride and handling is unaffected.

I proceed with the revised plan, and used a Genuine Lexus strut on the passenger front corner and KYB in the rear. The passenger front strut mount bearing and dust boot were replaced with OE. The rear struts received new Monroe Mounts. I also installed new Genuine Lexus front lower control arms. The rear tires were replaced with Yokohama YK740 GTX tires and the front axle has one Yokohama YK580 (6/32) and one YK740GTX (8/32). An initial alignment was done, but it looks like the driver front corner (prior accident) will need a camber bolt to bring the camber back into spec.

The car drives and rides great now and the landlady is incredibly happy. She noticed the improvements right away, and she is far from a car person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back