Milk Smelling & Tasting Wormy from Wal-Mart !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go through almost 2 Gallons of milk in about a week!

99% of my milk purchases have been from Wal-Mart for many years since it costs so much less, but ----->>
37.gif

I will not buy milk from Wal-Mart anymore now that I tasted a small dairy farm's milk from glass. Oberweis's slogan "Simple the Best".
20.gif

Snip:
thumbsup2.gif
"We measure somatic cell counts (SCC) and pay our farmers a substantial premium to achieve low somatic cell counts. This is a true measure of the quality of raw milk. Somatic cells are essentially the "dead" cells present in milk. They are a measure of the health of the cow. State law allows 750,000 SCC/ml in raw milk. Our milk can only have a maximum of 250,000 SCC/ml and most producers are in the 100,000-150,000 range. It is the presence of somatic cells in raw milk that adds to the "off" flavor of milk."

Oberweis Milk ---->> http://www.oberweisdairy.com/web/milk.asp

Why it tastes so good ---->> http://www.oberweisdairy.com/web/tastessogood.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
You drink two gallons of milk all by your lonesome? In a week!

Wow....I drink maybe a glass or two, usually 50/50 with soy milk.

That dairy looks to be what I'm yapping about above. Kewl.

Quote:
..our milk is NOT organic, but it is close to being organic milk.

Funny, but truth is it pretty much covers our eating habits....

Yep!

Just wow. --->> "Somatic cells are essentially the "dead" cells present in milk. They are a measure of the health of the cow."

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

99% of my milk purchases have been from Wal-Mart for many years since it costs so much less, but ----->>
37.gif

well, you get what you pay for.
doesn't anyone EVER wonder why WM prices are (sometimes, not always) cheaper? it isn't all about volume, you know. they HAVE to cut quality somewhere, somehow.
Lehigh Valley dairy has very good milk, IMO, and we go through maybe 1 1/2gal a week (what else are you going to have w/ cereal?). there is also a local dairy w/ a PA raw milk permit, good stuff.
I've never had any issue w/ store brand milk from Giant or Wegman's either.

Our Wal-Mart milk is local.

How do I know? Because one time (about 2 months ago) the milk had a different cap (name brand) from a local dairy. The bottle was the same, the label was the normal wal-mart one but all the caps were the $2 a gallon more caps.

One I found this out, I happen to have a friend that works at the processing plant and asked him and they bottle mike for quite a few brands because their name brand does not sell well due to cost.

Same cows, same processing, same bottles different label for Wal-Mart.

Never had a issue with any milk here. We go through 2-3 gallons weekly.

Bill

PS: Should this not be in food? (unless this is the daily Wal-Mart bashing thread
grin2.gif
)

Oberweis dairy & retail stores in Illinois (hey, a GOOD story about Illinois this week!...amazing, eh?) has fresh tasting milk sold in glass jars. Sure, it's more expenseive, but it's tastes real good.

Doesn't milk in the US have ingredients? In Canada it has vitamins added but I think that's all. We haven't bought milk since June as we have a dairy goat, Wendy, that we milk twice a day. She can produce almost a gallon a day but in the winter that drops to around 2L. We freeze what we don't use. It tastes different depending on what she's been eating but never real strong. Also we make butter milk and cheese with it.

We also have free range hens and get nothing but rave reviews from our egg customers. The orange yolks show they haven't been eating [censored] feed like those poor caged chickens. Its quite amazing to see the difference in yolk colour and how it "stands" up vs most store bought eggs.
Ian

It's the "somatic cell counts (SCC)" that counts for milk quality the way it looks.....

DEAD Cell count. Hmph.

Yup, depending on the brand the milk found at my local Wal-Mart has been very strange tasting. My 2-year-old doesn't mind, but it's getting tough to stomach a bowl of cereal or some dessert lately. We buy the gallons of whole milk for Katherine, and my wife and I just use the half-gallons of 1%....two different brands, always pick the ones with the longest time 'til expiration.

Buying more today, I'll report.

BTW-- when you open the freezer door at my WM, it stinks like spoiled/rotten milk and food...maybe not a good sign?? :)

how many times do you need to taste bad milk before you decide to shop somewhere else?!?
there wouldn't be 2nd time for me; I'd return the bad one and go somewhere else. done.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Yup, depending on the brand the milk found at my local Wal-Mart has been very strange tasting. My 2-year-old doesn't mind, but it's getting tough to stomach a bowl of cereal or some dessert lately. We buy the gallons of whole milk for Katherine, and my wife and I just use the half-gallons of 1%....two different brands, always pick the ones with the longest time 'til expiration.

Buying more today, I'll report.

BTW-- when you open the freezer door at my WM, it stinks like spoiled/rotten milk and food...maybe not a good sign?? :)

I don't have kids yet but I always wonder why parents feed their kids stuff they wouldn't eat themselves? Not trying to personally offend you Solo2 but you should drink the bad milk and give the good stuff to your kid. Growing bodies aren't so picky in rejecting harmful chemicals, where as yours is.
Hot dogs and aerosol or processed "cheese", and "chicken" nuggets are full of [censored] that no one should eat least of all kids...
I'm not some greeny wack job either that has to have organic everything, but I do like products made with care, not churned out by the lowest bidder... I imagine the milk at WM is choosen by the same criteria that brings you lead painted toys, may not be but I'll never bother to find out.
Ian

Originally Posted By: NJC
Fortunately rBGH or rBGS is not sold in Canada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

We go through 4L ~5 days but only for tea, baking et al.

It is interesting that folks want to complain about Wal*Mart, yet they don't sell milk that is made with these manufactured horomones if I understand the article.

I suspect our local Wal*Mart gets stuff from the local dairy in town. They just have it packaged with their label.

The local Prairie Farms plant has Prairie Farms, Dean Foods and maybe even Wal*Mart trailers on the property. I'm not as sure about the last one, but I know I've seen Dean Foods trailers at the local Wal*Mart. Of course, they carry both Prairie Farms as well as Great Value milk here.

Dude.

It's not a Wal-Mart bash so you can get off that one.

A gal I know also noticed their milk did not smell right for a long time either.

Waiting for the milk smell & taste reports guys...

I wouldn't call it "bad" or "spoiled"....I haven't really been a milk drinker for the last 10 years or so because I haven't really found a brand that has a flavor that I like. Just like bottled water, each brand (and each Source from each brand) just tastes differently.

WM in our area carries a few brands, the two cheapest ones are the ones we buy. One brand has a flavor that I don't like, but my daughter drinks it fine. The other brand is better tasting to me and my wife, but still not "my taste". Bad milk? Nope, just not my flavor.

My sister bought us some organic milk (Horizon, I think) when we were in California, I thought it was PERFECT, and had a great flavor and scent. My wife HATED IT, she said it reminded her of the milk they had on her parents' farm...fresh, I guess? I know that the premium/organic milks use a different pasteurization process that changes the flavor as well, due to the fact that most are not delivered locally (ie, they must be trucked a further distance, so they need longer expiration dates). I love it, wife hates it, daughter is indifferent. Cost difference is about $2-$2.50/gallon, which is enough for me not to buy it if I'm the only one drinking it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Like milk I guess.

But we buy it by the litre, and use maybe one of those a week for a family of 4...what would you do with a gallon of the stuff before it went off ?

dunno, we buy it by the 3 L , thats close to a gallon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back