microsoft silverlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
any good? worth d/ling?

Silverlight is a direct competitor to Adobe's Flash. Embedded Silverlight files on a web page require the Silverlight plug in to view them, so it's not really a matter of good or bad, but rather one of necessity.

*As far as I am aware*, Silverlight is centered more on animations and other eye candy, similar to earlier incarnations of Flash. I do a lot of Flash programming, and in the last several years it has made quantum leaps forward in it's ability to do to all sorts of stuff: database, PHP, CSS, heck, *video*... I don't know squat about the Silverlight authoring environment, so I cannot say whether or not Silverlight can do all of the things that a modern Flash can.

It's always a pain to have to install yet another plug in to play yet another proprietary file format; especially one as ubiquitous as Flash has become, but the first respondent probably has an excellent point, in that it may force Adobe to step up a bit...

Is there even a Silverlight for Linux?
crazy2.gif

Silverlight is in its infancy but has come a long way already.

If you want to see it in action to the fullest (video included), log onto http://www.reportstorms.com where people can submit storm reports from a computer or mobile device. It is an example of it modifying a database, uploading pictures and movies, sending notifications to TV stations and the National Weather Service, and cool IMHO to see what is going on elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back