"Michigan left"

New England sure is a funny place to drive. The level of aggression, you'd think everyone were driving for a trap full of king crab.

But, it's no way like it is in Phila. It's like an "intelligent" agression, whereas down here, it's mindless....

Aided by the New England traffic engineers who think it is hilarious changing up which lane suddenly becomes a dedicated turning lane with no rhyme or reason.

They do that crap in Virginia *all the time*. I know of one road where you have to change lanes 3 times in 1/2 mile just to stay in a lane that's a continuous through lane.

Guess it's an "east coast" thing.

The issue I see with this is after you make your turn, you need to cut across two lanes of traffic in a very short distance.
You make the u-turn after your light turns green, so you are not competing with any traffic appproaching in those lanes . It's usually pretty safe.

I'll wait for the traffic light to go green. Chances are you'll get into an accident making a u-turn onto in-coming traffic. I'm basing it on the description (picture) you provided.

At an intersection that compels a "Michigan left" there is normally no left turn allowed at the actual intersection.
Oh, I see what you mean, I didn't catch the no left turn, no right turn signs. But, if I am new to the area it would be a complete mess. Is this a trick of some sort by the officials who designed this? It looks way too DUMB, IMHO

Last edited:
Glad you made it out of Pontiac and are still around to tell about it.

Yea it looked like we were on the nice side of the train tracks. The actual wedding was further North past Auburn Hills; there's some crazy big houses up there!

We do something similar called a J-turn. Basically no straight cross traffic is allowed on the lower traveled road. The main road can still turn left, but the cross road must turn right. Concrete medians enforce the required directions.

We do something similar called a J-turn. Basically no straight cross traffic is allowed on the lower traveled road. The main road can still turn left, but the cross road must turn right. Concrete medians enforce the required directions.

J turn looks pretty cool :ROFLMAO:

1685985540841.jpg

Oh, I see what you mean, I didn't catch the no left turn, no right turn signs. But, if I am new to the area it would be a complete mess. Is this a trick of some sort by the officials who designed this? It looks way too DUMB, IMHO
The no turn signs are usually quite prominent.
1685986459152.png

Off topic - what I find a bit unnerving are the multi lane 4 ways stops in NW Indiana. During rush hours, you can have 4 to 6 vehicles arrive at the intersection at the same time. Even with the "vehicle to right has right away", I proceed very old-man-like.

Off topic - what I find a bit unnerving are the multi lane 4 ways stops in NW Indiana. During rush hours, you can have 4 to 6 vehicles arrive at the intersection at the same time. Even with the "vehicle to right has right away", I proceed very old-man-like.

These are pretty common around here. This is a 4-way stop.

1685987467572.jpg

Yea it looked like we were on the nice side of the train tracks. The actual wedding was further North past Auburn Hills; there's some crazy big houses up there!
Yes, you want to see some homes, look into neighboring bloomfield hills.. That's where all the executives are from the automakers, auburn hills, bloomfield hills, rochester, etc. Oakland County (where you were) is one of the richest areas in the country! Crazy but true. Makes a normal 1400-2000sq ft house look like the "servants quarters"!

I've always felt there was an element of spite about this design. :)

I am Canadian and only have to deal with these when I cross the border. You get used to it. We started putting roundabouts on my side of the border a few years ago; and they need some getting-used-to as well.

Once you get South of the tracks and especially South of Square lk rd.

The concept of a 4 way stop is a lot for some folks around here, even 3 way stops require more brain power than many people can muster.

They put some of those "Michigan lefts" on us 30 near me a couple years ago, along with cutting off some cross roads, after a few bad accidents, involving software routing folks onto roads and intersections never designed for larger vehicles like RVs and Semis.

The one time I went to use the left side turn lane, as I'm in the left lane, left signal on, look in my mirror, there's a van inches off my bumper with an angry look on the driver's face...

Back