"Michigan left"

Traffic designs in some areas are atrocious, and intersections in particular are generally the most dangerous place to hang-out. Intersections invite fast cross traffic which often runs red-lights. Left hand turns are notoriously dangerous. Add left turns with intersections and that's quite likely the most dangerous.

I OFTEN do this type of left turn as listed in the OP. There are several heavy intersections here that stack up cars in the left lane which requires sometimes 3 iterations of light changes for people to make it thru. I've found, to no surprise, going straight thru is more time efficient and safer. As the OP suggests, go straight thru, make a safer U-turn up ahead, come back and make a right turn. Anyone who has driven for a while and not figured this out lacks some driving skills IMO.

Likewise, it is OFTEN safer to cross the street in the middle of a city block (with traffic going in 2 directions) instead of intersections with traffic going in 4 directions, plus the right and left turn threats. Two threats, which can be bisected one at a time, is far safer than threats coming from all directions at all times, such as intersections.

I'm a big fan of European style round-abouts which are far better for traffic flow and safer for turns and eliminate fast straight "cross" traffic. Cross traffic is responsible for probably the most accidents and serious injuries/fatalities.

One of the things that really impresses me about Virginia is the awesome planning ability they have here. I mean, they really run this place like a Swiss watch.

One demonstration of that is this TRIPLE left-turn at the intersection of VA123 and Old Bridge Rd in Woodbridge, VA:

1690584282539.jpg

Back