Michelin CrossClimate2 Tread Life

I also just put a set of 4 on a new VENZA Friday,, with 4,000 miles on it. Hope they hold up good,,,,

Yes, I drove an XLE for 30k that came with basic B bridgestone ecopia tires that were just awful. so much cabin noise on the highways

i was going to replace with CC2s, but changed cars instead

the venza has a lot of great qualities to it though, with the notable exception of the tiny gas tank

We have 2 sets in our family. Both are wearing far better than their excellent traction suggests they should. I prefer softer tires for their feel and traction characteristics. They grip in the wet similar to how a soft compound tire would, but they are not wearing quickly at all. One vehicle is a CRV, which my wife isn’t afraid to get a little peppy in. The other is our Lexus, which gets driven a bit Jekyll and Hyde - I’m usually very conservative with speed but enjoy the heck out of digging that RWD around a corner with a lot of power in the loop. as they age, the lateral grip, which is their weakest attribute in an otherwise superb tire, seems to be solidifying some. Frankly, most will not notice the deficiency, and I don’t mind it because it allows me to drift the vehicle at in-city speeds, similarly to how folks enjoyed VW beetles in the 70s. That said, as the rubber wears or hardens or whatever it’s doing, the lateral grip seems to be tightening up a little.
We have a set on our 2005 CR-V and absolutely love them. Wet traction was the most important attribute for me and that has been superb. They did well on a bit of light snow and ice over the winter and handle well in all scenarios we throw at them.

No visible wear and they still feel quite soft (got them last summer). To top it off they are fairly quiet in our application...

How is the noise on these tires?
We will need new tires for my wife's 17 CRV and likely my 19 Accord soon.
My wife isn't concerned about noise, but I need quiet tires.

Bob

Bob
They are quiet on pavement overall but a little noisy over bumps - they almost make a dodgeball bouncing off someone's head noise.

22K on the CC2s on my Camry. They really are great in the rain and quite good in the snow. I was putting a lot more highway miles on when I bought them, but now it's more of a short tripper with some weekend trips to the coast, about 185 miles round trip and some work travel. I rotate around 7K. I don't have the measurements but treadwear appears to be great so far. The only downside is my gas mileage dropped considerably compared to the OEMs. I used to get 53 mpg, now getting about 10 mpg less.

Just over a year and 10K miles on the set on the Highlander. Still look brand new. Getting about 18mpg city and 28 highway. They do great in light snow. So far, overall I would buy them again. Our 2017 Escape is going to need new tires next spring and I am leaning towards the CC2's for that as well.

Bob
I really like quiet tires. I have had quieter tires, but I’d put these in the top 25%. They are not noisy by any means and are better than average. Accept under hard braking, they don’t growl. You would think that tread would make a ruckus; it is does not. the noise increase is very small for all the wet traction it provides, and again, it’s not a loud tire by any means, just sounds “tightly inflated.”

Yes, I drove an XLE for 30k that came with basic B bridgestone ecopia tires that were just awful. so much cabin noise on the highways

i was going to replace with CC2s, but changed cars instead

the venza has a lot of great qualities to it though, with the notable exception of the tiny gas tank
I have OEM Toyo Open Country on my wife's 2022 XLE Highlander. Those things are loud and complete garbage. Just FYI.

Reactions: jcy

Bob
Ours were loud for about 40km and then quieted right down. I find them very reasonable and unlike the post above I haven’t noticed any additional noise going over bumps.

We’re using this on our Mercedes metris in our fleet. Only getting about 7-10k (if that) miles out of them. Factory continentals and hankooks only got us about 3-5k miles, though…so I guess you could look at that as doubling what we could be getting if we didn’t change tires?
Burnouts on every start? Full ABS active on every stop? Constant running at 12psi or 73psi? How do you get only 5k from a set of tires?

A friend got these on his 17 CR-V and hates them. Said they feel squishy. Drove from MD to NJ and back and said he was exhausted from the drive. I have 2 sets of these. An 18 Legacy and the other a 14 CRV and I have NOT had that experience. Though, we did say they are starting to feel better after some miles he does NOT like them. I told him to check the inflation. Not sure if he did. I also suggested that he maybe increase a few psi and see if it feels better. I don't think he is going to do it. Said the car doesn't drive like he knows it can. I have to remind him that it is a CRV not a 328i.
The fact he said he was exhausted on a long drive points to an alignment issue and probably an added dose of too low of tire pressure. I find if the front toe is set to zero, you can get some hunting and on a long drive it can wear you out with micro constant steering corrections. Most cars have a slight “toe in“ setting to load the steering linkage for a more stable hwy driving experience. I myself use “toe out“ for a performance alignment that is a bit darty/sensitive, but still loading of the steering linking like the common toe in does.

My sister put them on her RAV4 Hybrid based on my recommending from here and other places. She has them on a couple months now and really likes them. Her husband is planning to put them on his Tiquan R-line when his current tires wear out (I think PS4's). He runs winter tires, she hasn't for many years.

Not often mentioned is how much road noise a car allows into the cabin. This makes a huge impact on the perception of tire noise.

Probably any tire will sound ok with a super quiet car.

My Accord is notorious for road noise, so quiet tires are critical.
I live in SE Michigan, which sees a fair amount of snow, and I drive about 90 minutes round trip daily, so decent snow performance is preferred.

That said, I grew up driving rear wheel drives with crap tires and no ABS in the snow, so I'm confident in my skills.
BUT, my 15 year old is driving now...

Bob

Burnouts on every start? Full ABS active on every stop? Constant running at 12psi or 73psi? How do you get only 5k from a set of tires?
No idea, I only fix them. I don’t see how the idiots drive, but they tear everything up and are never held accountable.

No idea, I only fix them. I don’t see how the idiots drive, but they tear everything up and are never held accountable.
My dad was a doctor. He supplied the original Bic stick pens. The employees were always coming asking for another pen, almost daily. He got tired of it and one day called a meeting. He handed everyone a new pen and told them that's your pen. When it runs out of ink bring it to me and I'll give you another. If I need you to write something and you don't have a pen you're fired. Suddenly there were no pen issues. Maybe your guys need to be told those are your tires. Come to us any time after 20k minimum miles and we'll replace them. Use them up before then and you buy your own replacements. If you can't drive due to worn out tires you're fired.

Back