Michelin CrossClimate2 Tread Life

Installed a set of these on one of the cars I maintain. The owner puts a lot of highway miles on his car, which is a 2016 MB E350 RWD.

After 41K miles, the tires have between 8/32” to 9/32” remaining.

They have only been rotated 3 times (at each service visit) - 11k/11k/18K. Treadwear seems to remain fairly equal despite the long interval between rotations.

I have been seeing similarly positive treadwear from these tires in every application. Every driver is impressed with their wet traction and ride quality.

IMG_3932.jpeg

IMG_3933.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there still a shortage of these? None in our size were to be found when I put new shoes on the wife's Edge.

My wife has a crv and she accelerates briskly when she’s solo. I rotated ours somewhere around roughly 10k. There was no real difference in F/R tread, and not even the slightest hint of a sawtooth pattern from my delayed attention. How do they do it? There seem to be a lot of achievements in this tire.

I have these tires on 3 vehicles in my family. All of them are wearing very well. Even on the Sienna, which has destroyed every set of tires so far.

We’re using this on our Mercedes metris in our fleet. Only getting about 7-10k (if that) miles out of them. Factory continentals and hankooks only got us about 3-5k miles, though…so I guess you could look at that as doubling what we could be getting if we didn’t change tires?

We have 2 sets in our family. Both are wearing far better than their excellent traction suggests they should. I prefer softer tires for their feel and traction characteristics. They grip in the wet similar to how a soft compound tire would, but they are not wearing quickly at all. One vehicle is a CRV, which my wife isn’t afraid to get a little peppy in. The other is our Lexus, which gets driven a bit Jekyll and Hyde - I’m usually very conservative with speed but enjoy the heck out of digging that RWD around a corner with a lot of power in the loop. as they age, the lateral grip, which is their weakest attribute in an otherwise superb tire, seems to be solidifying some. Frankly, most will not notice the deficiency, and I don’t mind it because it allows me to drift the vehicle at in-city speeds, similarly to how folks enjoyed VW beetles in the 70s. That said, as the rubber wears or hardens or whatever it’s doing, the lateral grip seems to be tightening up a little.

A friend got these on his 17 CR-V and hates them. Said they feel squishy. Drove from MD to NJ and back and said he was exhausted from the drive. I have 2 sets of these. An 18 Legacy and the other a 14 CRV and I have NOT had that experience. Though, we did say they are starting to feel better after some miles he does NOT like them. I told him to check the inflation. Not sure if he did. I also suggested that he maybe increase a few psi and see if it feels better. I don't think he is going to do it. Said the car doesn't drive like he knows it can. I have to remind him that it is a CRV not a 328i.

Just changed the oil in my son's 2016 Ford Escape and saw that his Cross Climate 2 tires are about ready for replacement. He had them put on in January of 2021 and managed a little over 73000 miles out of them so far. He does a lot of rural and highway driving along with city driving. Rotated them about every oil change (5000 miles) and never had to rebalance them. I will be picking up another set of them for him but the price has gone up about $200.00-$250.00 all in since his original purchase (BJ's). 235/50/18

A friend got these on his 17 CR-V and hates them. Said they feel squishy. Drove from MD to NJ and back and said he was exhausted from the drive. I have 2 sets of these. An 18 Legacy and the other a 14 CRV and I have NOT had that experience. Though, we did say they are starting to feel better after some miles he does NOT like them. I told him to check the inflation. Not sure if he did. I also suggested that he maybe increase a few psi and see if it feels better. I don't think he is going to do it. Said the car doesn't drive like he knows it can. I have to remind him that it is a CRV not a 328i.
Perhaps offer them to bump up the psi to help with the squishy feeling?

Agree. Up the psi. When new, they ARE soft, and yet tenacious grip for the road. But that lasted only a week or 2. with some miles on them, they are not squishy, but I do keep both our sets around 35psi or a couple more. Road traction has not diminished.

Back