Mercon V ATF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to flush and refill the atf on my 88 Bronco II with 45k. The fluid is still pink and it shifts fine but I don't know when it has been changed last. It calls for Mercon ATF but I was wondering if I could use Mercon V in it? Is it backwards compatible? What brands of tranny fluid are good? Also what is the deal with lubegard? Is it a good additive? If it is then I will probabley add some to my tranny. I hope you don't mind answering all of these questions

I'd stick with regular Mercon if I were you. The ExxonMobil 'AAMCO' brand is a good fluid which you can get at Autozone. Forget the Lubegard.

i am rather fond of the valvoline MERCON V. i am fairly certain this used to be valoline's durablend dexron iii. i use this in my gm 4L60E which requires dexron. seems to shift better at low temps.

are their any real advantages to using a synthetic atf fluid other than maybe longer drains? If i use a synthetic atf what brand would you recommend then. I've heard some bad things about Mobil 1 ATF from some people on this board

Definitely use the Mobil1 ATF. Its a DexronIII and has served me well for 15 years.
RoyalPurple and Torco also have Dexron III synths.

You can use MerconV in your tranny. But, since tranny is circa 1988 and in unmentioned condition, the smooooooth shifting of MerconV might turn into excessive slipping. If its a rebuild or VB modded in any way, MerconV is an excellent choice. If not, stick with a DexronIII.

If I run arx or something similar through the tranny would I be able to safely switch to Mercon V then? What do you think about that lubegard stuff? I've been thinking of using the red. Is the lubegard that changes your atf to a different formulation any good?

bigwillie quote:
"If I run arx or something similar through the tranny would I be able to safely switch to Mercon V then? "

what type of auto trans do you have, the AOD?

Merc V is for 4R70W transmissions.

Merc V is not for AOD and AODE's.

I would not flush, like you stated in the 1st post. I would drop and clean pan, install new filter, and refill with Valvoline MaxLife ATF or Castrol Dexron/Mercon.

The Lubeguard products are good, but not for your application.

Lubeguard Red is for GM vehicles.

Lubeguard Black is for Japanese vehicles.

Lubeguard Blue is for converting Dexron/Mercon into a Mercon V type fluid.

Lubeguard Platnium is for any transmission I think.

They make good stuff with synthetic esters, but I would not use in your older Ford.

Good Luck.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
bigwillie quote:
"If I run arx or something similar through the tranny would I be able to safely switch to Mercon V then? "

what type of auto trans do you have, the AOD?

I would not flush, like you stated in the 1st post. I would drop and clean pan, install new filter, and refill with Valvoline MaxLife ATF or Castrol Dexron/Mercon.

The Lubeguard products are good, but not for your application.

Lubeguard Red is for GM vehicles.

Lubeguard Black is for Japanese vehicles.

Lubeguard Blue is for converting Dexron/Mercon into a Mercon V type fluid.

Lubeguard Platnium is for any transmission I think.

They make good stuff with synthetic esters, but I would not use in your older Ford.

Good Luck.

Bigwillie,ive got an uncle back in Louisiana who is a Ford tech and he recommended I switch from Mercon to MerconV (97 F150,4R70W).He says the 4R70W is an updated AOD - AODE,and you can use MerconV in it.And the Lubegard,you can use the Red cap version.AAMCO uses it in all there rebuilt trannys and even recommends using it.It is NOT just for GM vehicles.Call any AAMCO,they will tell you the same thing.BTW,a good MerconV is Castrol,AAMCO,or Motorcraft brand.Good luck!
patriot.gif

quote:

Jerry Wroblewski (the "J" of J-mod fame) has repeatedly said that Mercon V IS in fact recommended for all AOD/AODE/4R70W transmissions, but NOT to use it in any other transmission or transaxle that didn't originally call for it. Check out this link from the TTCoA site, and this one from Motorcraft's own site. In both cases, scroll down to near the bottom.

To be more precise, Lubegard "red" is a liquid wax ester synthesized from bio-lube seed oils (rape-seed oil, canola oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, etc.) and is intended to stabilize conventional dino-based ATFs. (Sperm whale oil was once added, roughly at the rate of a thimble-full per quart, by ATF blenders for just this purpose until the whaling ban prevented its continued use. GM's first response to compensate, was to specify the addition of common lard (which, not surprisingly, didn't work very well). Lubegard claims that their synthetic liquid wax technology is actually superior to sperm whale oil for this purpose. As such, Lubegard "red" contains no friction modifier content of its own. When additional friction modifier content over and above that already present (if any*) in the manufacturer's recommended ATF isn't needed, Lubegard "red" can be added for claimed longer ATF life and enhanced heat stability. As Islandvic pointed out, when "correction" to proprietary ATF quality is desired when using Dexron III ATF, such as the case of Japanese trannies, Lubegard "black" allegedly supplies both enhanced stability and the necessary FM content to maintain OEM fluid shift quality. (I used Lubegard "black" with Castrol Dexron III in a '96 Accord after eight drains, refills, and ten-mile drives at ~28,000 miles. The immediate results were silky, yet fast upshifts, and immediate but smooth downshifts under load - better than that box had ever attained with the Honda factory-fill ATF [These are NOT shift qualities prior generation Honda automatics were particularly noted for]. Totaled the car 3,000 miles later, so I have no personal data what the long term effects might've been.)

*Even an old Ford AT that calls for "Type F" ATF could also benefit from Lubegard "red".

quote:

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter:
AAMCO uses it in all there rebuilt trannys and even recommends using it.It is NOT just for GM vehicles.Call any AAMCO,they will tell you the same thing.

Oh yeah...if ScAAMCO recommends using it, I'll run right out and buy some.
rolleyes.gif

Aw G-Man,did you get ripped by AAMCO? Myself,ide never let AAMCO work on my tranny.....too expensive.But,i'll take there advice on certain things,such as Lubegard.I use it,but not because they recommend it,but because ive had good results with it.
grin.gif

The MoCraft site contradicts itself.

"For use in all 4R70W transmissions.

For use only where Merc V is spec'd."

How can it be for all 4R70W's when many were made when MV was not invented yet, thus did not spec it?

I have seen a TSB over on crownvic.net from Ford stating how far back MercV can be used.

My '96 CV did not spec MercV b/c it was not invented yet.

Yet the TSB from Ford had my '96CV listed as an application for MERC V.

I used MERC V back in '00 and '04 and I have zero shudder or other problems w/ my '96CV.

quote:

The MoCraft site contradicts itself.

"For use in all 4R70W transmissions.

For use only where Merc V is spec'd."

How can it be for all 4R70W's when many were made when MV was not invented yet, thus did not spec it?

You're right, the Motorcraft site is not well worded. I think they mean the same thing that Jerry said: you can use Mercon V in ALL 4R70W transmissions, but DON'T use it in anything else where it's not spec'd...I used it in my '94 Thunderbird SC and it worked perfectly...cured the shudder almost immediately, and I ran that car for over 150,000 miles.

I have been using Mercon V in my 1995 Mustang GT AODE since it had 41k miles on it. I am currently at 111k miles, and the trans is working great. This trans also has a high stall Tq converter and aux cooler. I change fluid every 15k-20k miles (pan drain and filter, not total flush).

You can Purchase Lubegard additive suitable for all Automatic Transmissions at Autozone.

It is packaged and labeled as AAMCO transmission additive, so yes, I beleive the AAMCO does like it!

I have a 2001 Nissan and have Been using Dextron. I am planning to use the Mercon V bc I think it may be a step up from the Dextron. Ant thoughts??

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I am planning to use the Mercon V bc I think it may be a step up from the Dextron.

I wouldn't do it...Mercon V is only a "step up" from Mercon when used in a Ford 4R70W transmission. And yes, I know most regular ATFs are dual-rated for both Dexron(not Dextron)III and Mercon, but Mercon V is a different animal and should only be used where specified (except for the above-mentioned case). It may or may not react well in your vehicle...I'd use what Nissan specifies.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I have a 2001 Nissan and have Been using Dextron. I am planning to use the Mercon V bc I think it may be a step up from the Dextron. Ant thoughts??

Done it. Noticeably better cold shifts. Hot shifts a little smoother. IMO, its a step up!

Thanks to both of you. I'll do a bit more research before going ahead. My thought was that Mercon V came into being to help get Ford over the waranty period. So I figured it might be a tad better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back