Mercedes, What's the Deal ??

The "A, B and C" class are lower end cars unless its a special model like AMG, real MB car don't begin until you get to E class.
Some parts for the C are too bad and they are not all that difficult to repair. General rule of thumb the bigger the MB car the bigger the repair bill.
There are some VW/Audi cars I would choose over the C class. The "Star" has a big price tag itself.

I’m not a fan of the C Class. Lots of cars in that price range will be more reliable. I’d look elsewhere.

Mercedes (along with BMW and Porsche) are not something you want maintained by average technicians. You can ignore factory service information on, say, a Jeep, or a Ford, even a Toyota, and probably get away with it, but that ignorance will bite you, and badly, on a Mercedes.

I’ve spent plenty of time under the hood of various Mercedes undoing the “repairs” from poorly trained, inexperienced clowns who think they’re “mechanics” working for a “shop”. They take shortcuts because they think they know better, use cheap parts that don’t last because they’re “too smart” to pay for quality, and they blow off doing proper work because they’re lazy, uninformed, or both.

Properly maintained, a Mercedes can be a great car.

My W123 and W124 cars are some of the best built cars in the world, period. My W220 is unique. When that chassis was introduced, the Car and Driver review ended with the line, “Is this the best car in the world? We think it is.” They were talking about the S500, with a V-8. Mine happens to have the V-12.

Now, the W220 chassis is complex. The suspension is hydraulic. The computers are networked on both a CANBUS and fiber optic ring. On mine, the Twin turbo V-12 doesn’t really fit in the engine bay, and leaves zero room in which to do any maintenance. There are a ton of interior features that make troubleshooting and repair a challenge. It’s not a car that I want just anyone touching.

It’s an incredible, wonderful, car. Smooth, fast, luxurious, with great handling. You can’t even feel that V-12 idling. It’s that good. Nobody makes a car like that except the true luxury makes, like Mercedes.

If you want a Mercedes, I recommend that you either lease relatively new one, or get the full-up Mercedes computer (not a generic, but a laptop running the DAS/XENTRY system), learn about the car and do the work yourself. Keep the amateurs away from it.

The other part that broke is usually related somehow, you have to know these cars before doing anything on them.
They are not bad at all to work on, they are different that is true but people blame the car many times because they don't understand what makes them tick.

You must use MB Star or the whole car can go catywumpus. add a simple part and it may need programming or added to the system if not done all sorts of stuff may not work at all or not properly. This common to many vehicles not just MB.
Funny thing is in Europe hundreds of thousands of these cars have been running around for many decades and are very reliable.
Once the module set up is understood and how it interacts with the rest of the vehicle it is straightforward. Mechanically they are just like any other car, little differences but nothing earth moving.

Astro posted while I was writing. +1 to what he said.

I've really enjoyed both of my Mercedes. The SL550 required a lot of work, but none of it stopped me from using the car as a daily driver. they were all little things that kept the car nice. My E350 is similar. I've fixed a few things, but nothing that has to do with reliability. Most of the repair I've done had to do with lack of care by the previous owner, and nit picky things that I want just right.

Do you plan on doing your own maintenance? If yes, and you are not afraid to do some research, I'd say go for it. With exceptions, they are really a joy to work on. For me at least, I can see the quality of engineering that went into them, the SL550 more so than the E350. I would recommend finding a well respected independent Mercedes shop for any work that is beyond your skills. Taking the car to a MB dealership for maintenance can drain the pocketbook.

Also, frequent parts sites like FCP Euro and AutohausAZ for parts. You can save a lot of money by buying OEM manufactured parts instead of MB parts.

Personally, I would recommend you consider getting an E class instead of a C class. The E class tends to be quite a bit more reliable. And a lot nicer of a car. But if you are set on the C300, research it and become familiar with what the weak points are.

Visit MBWorld and ask some questions on the model you are looking at. Members are pretty helpful there, and can point out the trouble spots to watch for.

The other part that broke is usually related somehow, you have to know these cars before doing anything on them.
Ya like doing an AC recharge. Once done the car will not start because the fuel pump decided to call it quits while in my shop. The MB owners are the worst when stuff like this happens.

Always the shops fault. This is why we refuse them.

They are a shadow of their former selves

the clk in my sig is decent and has been reliable and easy to fix/maintain, but it’s old and well understood now. Even then, it’s not even half the car an old w116/123/126/124 were in terms of quality. New Mercedes seem pretty “throwaway” as well, much like everything else

Ya like doing an AC recharge. Once done the car will not start because the fuel pump decided to call it quits while in my shop. The MB owners are the worst when stuff like this happens.

Always the shops fault. This is why we refuse them.

A coincidence like that can happen to any make or model and customers can be good or bad regardless of what they own. I don't do a lot of Japanese cars, it has nothing to do with the cars or the people that own them.

MB cars are just awful. Fix 1 thing and something else unrelated breaks and the owner blames you. They require special scanners and tools not many shops have.

The more expensive the Benz the less the owner wants to spend on it. We are 100% done with MB cars and their owners.

Too much headache.

That pretty much sums it up!

I don't know that I'd ever own any German based vehicle. My FIL used to own several MB dealerships in the Northeast. He always asks why we don't want one or own one. I tell him that I don't want something overpriced that carries 3-4 times the cost of maintenance that I'm used to with Toyotas or Hondas.

I don't want to afford a $1500 set of tires every 20k miles. I don't want to pay $150 for an oil change. I don't want to pay $100 for wiper blades. Nor HAVE to take a vehicle to ANY dealer because everything is tied to a computer.

No thanks.

Reactions: JC1
I don't know that I'd ever own any German based vehicle. My FIL used to own several MB dealerships in the Northeast. He always asks why we don't want one or own one. I tell him that I don't want something overpriced that carries 3-4 times the cost of maintenance that I'm used to with Toyotas or Hondas.

I don't want to afford a $1500 set of tires every 20k miles. I don't want to pay $150 for an oil change. I don't want to pay $100 for wiper blades. Nor HAVE to take a vehicle to ANY dealer because everything is tied to a computer.

No thanks.

So I guess you drive a 60's era car? Any modern car, yes even Toyota and Honda at some point will probably need to be hooked to "a computer".

No thanks.

I agree with you. I would say to your FIL I need to put my kids through college not your kids or kids of people at the dealership!

I'm on my second E class and have not had an issue with either of them. I do my own oil changes, so no big deal there. Just like any other car in my opinion. Even Jiffy Lube wanted to charge $150.00 for an oil change, no thanks.
There are many safety feature on these cars that others are just now starting to catch up with. Pre-safe is one. Automatic Braking! If a crash is detected as possible, the seat belts will tighten around you, pulling you tightly into the seat, the headrest will pop forward too, on mine, the seat will move about an inch or so inboard to get people in the front away from the doors! It's quiet, solid and very well made. No Lexus that I've ever been in has impressed me at all.
And I've yet to see another car built with THREE hood latches!
I don't plan on doing any real "maintenance" work on my cars. Like, I'm not going to flush the brake fluid, nor am I EVER going to change transmission fluid! With two trans filters and three fluid pumps, I'd be a fool to even try!
You get what you pay for.

Not a big fan of the C class. It's ok, but just not me.

Slacktide_bitog " All the luxury and prestige of Mercedes but with Toyota quality "

Only to a point. When Toyota can build something even close to this V12 S600 Maybach you may have a point. MB build the best cars in the world with the exception of RR even then its a toss up.

mercedes-maybach-s600.jpg

Lexus :)

All the luxury and prestige of Mercedes but with Toyota quality :cool:
Sort of. No real AMG models. Nothing close to the V-12. No active suspension.

But it’s more than that

Mercedes has parts available for every car they’ve ever built. No other manufacture has that kind of support.

I can get every single part for the 1975 450SL I’m helping a friend with. Every part. Toyota, and lots of others, start dropping production of replacement parts about 10 years after production.

Good luck going to any other marque dealer and asking the parts guys for parts on a 45 year old car. Mercedes can even cut you a key for that car, based on their records.

If you don’t like Mercedes, that’s fine, you’ve probably been exposed to the hacked on examples that abound. A properly maintained Mercedes is a great car.

You don’t need a single malt Scotch to get inebriated. For those who never had a good Scotch, and who are looking only for alcohol content, the cost of the Scotch may seem “not worth it”. For those folks, I’d suggest any cheap bourbon.

So it is with cars. If you can’t see the performance, engineering, or driving differences of a more expensive car that has great engineering behind it, best you stick with the cheap stuff.

You’ll be happier.

Back