Mercedes-AMG S-version M139 Officially Most Powerful Production 4 Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next most powerful production four cylinder engine I can think of is a 341 bhp turbo Subie and aside from the gap in power relative to this little Benz stove the Subaru also has half a liter more displacement.
I suspect that Mercedes designed and developed this engine with a life not too far shy of 200K (miles, not klicks) in mind.
This goal is also helped by the fact that this engine will rarely see 414 bph in road use. It'll spend most of its time way down the power curve, as is true for most street driven engines excepting those that make no power to begin with.

I'd like one of those hand held torque drivers but assume they cost a couple thou. And the setup that torques all the main bearing and head bolts at once is pretty neat. What's with all the photos of the head at 14:10?

It looks like that engine features ISG. Integrated starter/generator, maybe electric supercharger and electric a/c compressor and electric coolant pump running off a 48 Volt system just like the MB M256 inline-6? I'm very interested in the M256 engine but would like to see it in a smaller MB than the CLS.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
It looks like that engine features ISG. Integrated starter/generator, maybe electric supercharger and electric a/c compressor and electric coolant pump running off a 48 Volt system just like the MB M256 inline-6? I'm very interested in the M256 engine but would like to see it in a smaller MB than the CLS.

The ISG seems like an awesome idea. Would love to know more about it and the corresponding 48v battery. I wonder when we'll see that in other cars.

Ray

I recently read that Volvo showed off the concept of ISG back in 2001. Apparently, implementation has become feasible only recently. If it's a reliable system, I see no drawbacks.

In contrast to ‘Murica(half way threw the random characters shown a guy building AMC engines with cigar and another few smoking butts):

That was normal in those days even in Euro factories and no one bothered about it. People were different back then, go back even further and Coke had cocaine in it and opium dens were legal (strangely enough they want to make them legal again in some US states in the form of legal shooting galleries).

Originally Posted by atikovi
I remember back in the 80's when Italy had a 2.0L cap on engines before a major tax would kick in how they were squeezing around 200 h.p. out of them. A lot has changed.

I worked with a couple of guys from Italy who transferred temporarily to the US around that time and they brought up the Italian displacement taxation.
One guy bought a big American SUV right away, had tons of fun with it for two years, and then sold it when he went back home.
The other guy obsessed about what 2.0l to buy in the US for months and months so he could ship it home after his two years. I don't remember what he ended up with, but he never moved back to Italy in the end...
They were both great guys! Met up with one in Milano and the other in Chicago after our time working together, but I have now lost touch with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back