Meet the cheapest US states to buy a house (and the priciest states)

At the same time, I can get a decent home, in a safe community, with a solid public school system in Southern Illinois, for well under $200k.

These studies do matter, and actually for some, matter a lot.

True they do matter but they leave a lot of the more 'intimate' levels as well. The article makes it seem like $280k for a house in Chicago is the norm but they don't tell you the only houses you'll get in Chicago with that price is in gang territory with Chicago Public Schools.

When I was working on a master's degree in 2007, I researched why so many heroin deaths in affluent suburbs. The results were clear. The dealers' figured out that heroin could get "well off" kids to steal everything from their family, friends, and neighbors- to support the addiction. The dealers were giving the stuff away in the affluent areas- and regrettably it worked all too well. Many teenage deaths from heroin overdoses in affluent suburbs.

That makes sense. Heroin, Cocaine, and lot of the hard drugs is easier to sell to a wealthy person who won't make a fuss about the price because he's 1) scared of the dealer and/or 2) doesn't have any other hook-up for the drug and doesn't want to look like a drug addict if they ask around for a new dealer.

I find it no surprise that NY has inexpensive homes. Values were up for quite some time in the big metro areas, people cashed-out by selling and moving elsewhere. Now there are empty homes in some towns. By the way, upstate NY is stunningly beautiful, an amazing place to visit, and stands in stark contrast to the entire greater NYC metro/Long Island and Buffalo areas.

When I travel to NY, I try hard to go to the nice locations. The 330 foot cliffs at "The Gunks" are closest for me, and I venture North from there. Unfortunately, like everything NY, "it ain't cheap" would be an understatement. I've paid $7/gal for gas, $50 fees to hike for an hour, and been forced to pay for 2 hotel nights when I only needed one. Not to mention, frequently paying for premium fuel and receiving regular and an attempted carjacking. Something is really rotten there...

Gunks+climbing+guide

Last edited:
If you landed in a plane at 4 p.m. at LAX on any given weekday afternoon-and immediately left, when you get in your car it would take over 3 hours ( 40 to 50 miles) to go to a nice Suburb in either Orange County or due east to San Bernardino County.

I drove over a million miles on those roads-welcome to California.

I find it no surprise that NY has inexpensive homes. Values were up for quite some time in the big metro areas, people cashed-out by selling and moving elsewhere. Now there are empty homes in some towns. By the way, upstate NY is stunningly beautiful, an amazing place to visit, and stands in stark contrast to the entire greater NYC metro/Long Island and Buffalo areas.
CUJ,

I think you can say the same for places like Southern Illinois. Safe, beautiful, Americana at its finest. I have worked in Southern NJ and also found the area to be charming.

Issue is, when you live in Northen NY, Southern IL, one does not get a vote on expenditures, entitlements, and polices. Every man, woman, and child, even babies born this morning, that have a domicile of Illinois, owe the state over 100k USD individually on just state entitlement obligations. I speculate if the people in Southern Illinois had a vote, there would not be a liability of 100k per resident of Illinois, just for state pension entitlements.

Looking at the weather map in the paper every day, there is only one city I see with nice weather year round. San Fran. In the middle of winter, high of 64. In the middle of summer, high of 65.
Which part of San Francisco? It has a micro climate and east/west of it has a different climate on the same day.

JK,

I temporarily worked in the reported sorry area of "Vallejo",and was blown away about how nice the weather and terrain were. I bought a car door that I picked up in a densely populated Vietnamese community in the greater LA area- again, wow is all I can say for the weather.
Vallejo is a nice part of the North Bay. We have a home in Petaluma, just west of Vallejo a few miles from the rocky coast.
I imagine you know Petaluma; a truly tranquil place. Parts of American Graffiti were filmed there. In fact, there is an annual May "Salute to American Graffiti". About the only car show I attend anyore. Fun for all!

The temperature differences between the Pacific side and the Bay side can be quite a bit. Travel over the bridges to the East Bay and it’s even more extreme.
All it take is to cross the Divisidero tunnel in the middle of San Francisco and it goes from a cloudy 60F day to a sunny 75F day. The tunnel is only like 1000' long.

All it take is to cross the Divisidero tunnel in the middle of San Francisco and it goes from a cloudy 60F day to a sunny 75F day. The tunnel is only like 1000' long.

Yep. We traveled there about 25 years ago and the weather at Fisherman’s Wharf was really hot. I wore shorts and a T shirt. Then we went over to the Presidio and I was shivering. It was drastic.

Vallejo is a nice part of the North Bay. We have a home in Petaluma, just west of Vallejo a few miles from the rocky coast.
I imagine you know Petaluma; a truly tranquil place. Parts of American Graffiti were filmed there. In fact, there is an annual May "Salute to American Graffiti". About the only car show I attend anyore. Fun for all!

Vallejo is NOT nice. It has so much potential in terms of location but it's overrun by angry, uneducated criminals and the police are non-existent. It's very sad. I lived and worked there for a year.

GON, you're scaring me.

I understand the allure of the CA weather, etc., but soon, electricity in CA will be rationed and when you are able to consume it, it will be $.60-80/kWh

In 5 more years, there won't be many small gas engines on the consumer level. Those that are still running will be traded on the black market for some high-dollar stuff. Those that maintain the things will be posting on forums across the country begging people for $15 in parts and willing to pay $500 to get them somehow, someway.

Do you know that a good many things aren't shipped from a business in CA to a private individual in another (free) state? There's been a few threads on this very forum where people are asking why they can't get a dealer parts department to ship a much-needed part to them in an eastern state.

It's going to go on and on. More people that have a brain will be leaving. These people that have stayed in CA, IL, MA, CT, NY, NJ, etc their whole lives because of family, that generation is getting old and the new generations don't sit still. They have no ties to anywhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
GON, you're scaring me.

I understand the allure of the CA weather, etc., but soon, electricity in CA will be rationed and when you are able to consume it, it will be $.60-80/kWh

In 5 more years, there won't be many small gas engines on the consumer level. Those that are still running will be traded on the black market for some high-dollar stuff. Those that maintain the things will be posting on forums across the country begging people for $15 in parts and willing to pay $500 to get them somehow, someway.

Do you know that a good many things aren't shipped from a business in CA to a private individual in another (free) state? There's been a few threads on this very forum where people are asking why they can't get a dealer parts department to ship a much-needed part to them in an eastern state.

It's going to go on and on. More people that have a brain will be leaving. These people that have stayed in CA, IL, MA, CT, NY, NJ, etc their whole lives because of family, that generation is getting old and the new generations don't sit still. They have no ties to anywhere.

FYI, your state went for B in 2020.

Back