Meet the cheapest US states to buy a house (and the priciest states)

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Cheapest states to buy a home (rank ordered):
Illinois (very understandable- state had had ten consecutive year over year population declines)
Ohio (a bit surprised to see Ohio as number two)
Oklahoma (I speculate Oklahoma might be a decent investment in times of skyrocketing single family home prices

Most expensive states to buy a home (rank ordered):
Hawaii
Colorado (unbelievable-this I can't understand whatsoever)
California

Surprised California isn't 2nd. Must be all the California people moving to Colorado. This is already making a big difference to many states. Dear fellow Californians, yes I hate this state too and I understand why you are leaving, I am hoping to leave too, but don't move somewhere else then turn it into the next California :)

Illinois (very understandable- state had had ten consecutive year over year population declines)
Oklahoma (I speculate Oklahoma might be a decent investment in times of skyrocketing single family home prices

Hawaii
California

Not surprised. Plenty of Californians moved to Colorado and supply is low really low in areas where people want to live. California is just so much bigger so the size of that market only pulled it down to number 3.

Nobody really wants to live in Illinois and Ohio. Weather isn't all that great. Taxes are high and wages aren't keeping up. Oklahoma, well there isn't a whole lot going on outside OK City. Poor, rural, few jobs outside Oil/Gas and "Government", plus bad weather

Interesting article, not sure I'd believe it. The $280k in Chicago gets you a one/two floor house in the very dangerous parts while the uppity north side parts are over half a mil for a 1-floor apartment. Most homes built 10 years or less in the Chicago suburbs are going for upper $300k; $133k mentioned in the article here gets you an empty half-acre lot. For comparison my 1-floor 1,300sqft 2bd/2bth/2 car garage townhouse that I rent from a friend is worth $220k. A hardwood floor version of mine across the street is $260k.

Last edited:
Note to Californians fixin' to relocate. Yes NC is relatively inexpensive but you won't like the food here at all. Everybody eats hog jowels, fried chicken gizzards, grits, collards and corn bread. We don't have sophisticated west coast cookin' tastes. And we get hurricanes every year because of always changing weather. Better to look in Colorado for a new palace. They got Rocky Mountain Oysters there. Ya'll like them better. ;)

Last edited:
Surprised California isn't 2nd. Must be all the California people moving to Colorado. This is already making a big difference to many states. Dear fellow Californians, yes I hate this state too and I understand why you are leaving, I am hoping to leave too, but don't move somewhere else then turn it into the next California :)
Too late for Colorado unfortunately.

Hawaii
California

Who cares, a house is to live in not live off of!

How useful are these "by state" comparisons anyway? I would expect property prices to vary greatly from one town to another depending on a number of factors.
Its a macro study. Of course, individual markets can have huge swings. But overall, the study tells a story that I think is good to have awareness of.

Note to Californians looking to relocate. Yes GA is relatively inexpensive but you won't like the food here at all. Everybody eats hog jowels, fried chicken giblets, grits, collards and corn bread. We don't have sophisticated west coast culinary tastes. And we get hurricanes, tornadoes, 105 degree days in August, flooding, and snow that shuts the entire state down every year because of always changing weather. Better to look in Colorado for a new palace. They got Rocky Mountain Oysters there. You'll like them better.

"Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Arkansas, West Virginia and New York all logged median sale prices under $200,000 — and the median sale price in Alabama was exactly at that price point."

Please tell me where I can find a house for $200k, are they including trailers and motor homes in this valuation?

I wonder how many working-aged people decide where to live based on housing prices? I expect the vast majority of us end up somewhere because of job or marriage. I know retirees have the option, but don't they all go to hot places like Florida or Arizona?

Exactly. I see row houses in Baltimore being sold for $10,000 while a few miles away you can find nice houses for over a million.

You can see this in Metro Atlanta. Last week, my wife and I were driving to a doctor's appointment in Atlanta. We drove down a major, 4-6 lane undivided road and these businesses would repeat every 100'-

Chicken Wing Shack
Wigs, Skin and Nail care
Liquor store
Weed/Bong/Smoke shop
Used Tire Store
Small, POS convenience store
Pawn Shop
Barber Shop
Salon
Funeral Home

Most all of these businesses had sublet "businesses" out in the parking lot with pop-up tents selling stuff.

Then BAM!!! Road closes down to a 2-lane residential road and there's the mighty re-gentrification going on with all those highly educated, high-income earners buying homes on lots and scraping and building a 4,000 sf rest haven for their family or they're remodeling a home of character and putting $1.5M in it.

I can't reconcile all of that.

I was surprised to see Montana on the list of most expensive. I wonder if that's because many of the rural 'houses' sold are really ranches that also come with a huge chunk of land?

Note to Californians fixin' to relocate. Yes NC is relatively inexpensive but you won't like the food here at all. Everybody eats hog jowels, fried chicken gizzards, grits, collards and corn bread. We don't have sophisticated west coast cookin' tastes. And we get hurricanes every year because of always changing weather. Better to look in Colorado for a new palace. They got Rocky Mountain Oysters there. Ya'll like them better. ;)
Note to Californians: It's comfortably warm in NC. You can have the mountains and the beach the same day, just like California. Colorado is below freezing with blizzards over 320 days a year.

I was surprised to see Montana on the list of most expensive. I wonder if that's because many of the rural 'houses' sold are really ranches that also come with a huge chunk of land?
Yes-However there are many movie stars and music artists who are plunking down major dollars for ranches-not to farm/ranch -but to have a place where there are far fewer people and they can be among them without photographers and autograph seekers.

Note to Californians: It's comfortably warm in NC. You can have the mountains and the beach the same day, just like California. Colorado is below freezing with blizzards over 320 days a year.
Hasn't that shipped sailed-like 10 (plus) years ago.....

Last edited:
Back