Meet the cheapest US states to buy a house (and the priciest states)

GON, you're scaring me.

I understand the allure of the CA weather, etc., but soon, electricity in CA will be rationed and when you are able to consume it, it will be $.60-80/kWh

In 5 more years, there won't be many small gas engines on the consumer level. Those that are still running will be traded on the black market for some high-dollar stuff. Those that maintain the things will be posting on forums across the country begging people for $15 in parts and willing to pay $500 to get them somehow, someway.

Do you know that a good many things aren't shipped from a business in CA to a private individual in another (free) state? There's been a few threads on this very forum where people are asking why they can't get a dealer parts department to ship a much-needed part to them in an eastern state.

It's going to go on and on. More people that have a brain will be leaving. These people that have stayed in CA, IL, MA, CT, NY, NJ, etc their whole lives because of family, that generation is getting old and the new generations don't sit still. They have no ties to anywhere.

Your comments are silly. I lived there for 55 years of my life. Short changing and predicting what happens in California-is an exercise in futility-and most often wrong. They are mandating EVs-the grid will be shored up to handle it.

I honestly aren't worried about the CA grid in urban area, it is the rural areas getting shutdown during windy dry days that I'm concerned about (wildfire risk and PG&E doesn't want to go bankrupt in fire lawsuits).

Homes and buildings get rebuild from 1/F or 2/F to 5/F-12/F all the time and the grid is fine, people install AC on homes that never had them all the time, they are fine and didn't collapse the grids into rolling blackout. Duck curve is a problem but that's more of a generation not ramping fast enough problem, not a grid problem. Variable priced EV charging has the potential to reduce the duck curve slope, as long as the chargers work with the utility to start / stop at the right time.

Rainfall related hydro power problem is a real problem as well, but you never hear people blaming rain and therefore hydro power.

Vallejo is NOT nice. It has so much potential in terms of location but it's overrun by angry, uneducated criminals and the police are non-existent. It's very sad. I lived and worked there for a year.
Just trying to be polite... What's a poor boy to do?
I am not one to bash other states and people's homes.

"Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Arkansas, West Virginia and New York all logged median sale prices under $200,000 — and the median sale price in Alabama was exactly at that price point."

Please tell me where I can find a house for $200k, are they including trailers and motor homes in this valuation?
Median is a pretty good indicator - it's not skewed by outliers like an arithmetic average is.

"Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Arkansas, West Virginia and New York all logged median sale prices under $200,000 — and the median sale price in Alabama was exactly at that price point."

Please tell me where I can find a house for $200k, are they including trailers and motor homes in this valuation?
One just needs to do a real estate search on those states. I picked just one town in NY, not kidding, 15 seconds to pull this up.
https://www.zillow.com/utica-ny/

Here, another 15 seconds, I can give you a BRAND NEW DR Horton Home for $289. Not only that, I can get you a job, with the snap of a finger at BMW that one can buy a home in the area.

Another 15 second search, here are over 500 homes for sale in Michigan under $200,000

These results can be had in every state in this great country. Simple, get a job, work hard and if you cant buy a home there, move to where you can.

Last edited:
Who cares, a house is to live in not live off of!
Yeah, news sensationalism for advertising clicks.
Supply and demand rules anything else is needless speculation which we are becoming so addicted to in social media. Anyone can buy a home, if you cant do it where you are, pack your bags to a place you can IF you want to buy a home. Facts speak for themselves, plenty of places with homes much lower. Median means half the homes are cheaper than the prices they list.
These "news" stories are a joke, all of a sudden people think they are entitled to everything on this planet without earning it.

Last edited:
Perhaps a more important consideration is taxes: Income, property, sales tax, etc.
Click on a column heading to sort by that column.

Another consideration is crime and a state's get tough (or lack thereof) policies on crime.
I always want to live in a very safe place.
The small town I live in now hasn't had any crime in the last 40 years (according to my 80 year old neighbor).

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Another consideration is crime and a state's get tough (or lack thereof) policies on crime.
I always want to live in a very safe place.
The small town I live in now hasn't had any crime in the last 40 years (according to my 80 year old neighbor).

Bingo.

You can find 10,000 homes in Montgomery, AL for less than $100k right now.

Montgomery is behind ONLY Memphis TN in Homicides per capita annually. Memphis is far and above the rate in Atlanta, Birmingham, wherever (other than DC, Chicago, NYC, etc.). I think Montgomery has had 30 homicides to date in 2023.

Bingo.

You can find 10,000 homes in Montgomery, AL for less than $100k right now.

Montgomery is behind ONLY Memphis TN in Homicides per capita annually. Memphis is far and above the rate in Atlanta, Birmingham, wherever (other than DC, Chicago, NYC, etc.). I think Montgomery has had 30 homicides to date in 2023.
I try to avoid going anywhere that has a lot of crime, and if I'm going to buy a home, the first requirement is that the neighborhood has low/zero crime.

If I have to go into a high crime area, I carry a decoy wallet, with about $30 in it, an old expired drivers's license, and a few unimportant busineess cards, etc. So if I'm robbed on the street, and they demand my wallet, I can give them the decoy wallet, and keep my important wallet untouched which has the credit cards/drivers license/more cash, etc.

Last edited:
Here, another 15 seconds, I can give you a BRAND NEW DR Horton Home for $289. Not only that, I can get you a job, with the snap of a finger at BMW that one can buy a home in the area.
I Like the SC homes the best, lot's of home for the money. Working at BMW sounds like fun!

WI is full and the weather is crap anyway. Mosquitoes can pick up your dog and carry it off and constant road construction because of 9 months of winter. Please stay in CA where it’s warm.

WI is full and the weather is crap anyway. Mosquitoes can pick up your dog and carry it off and constant road construction because of 9 months of winter. Please stay in CA where it’s warm.
Sorry to report, I am fully confident there is not and will never be any major movement of Californias to WI, MN,MI,IL, IN, OH, etc.

You have zero to worry about in WI of a mass migrations of Californians. You may have to worry about legislation that awards water from the above listed states to California, Colorado, Arizona, Neveda, etc. All places Californians are moving to or are in now.

I was surprised to see Ohio in the list. Seemed Ohio has done a better than average job as a state of keeping and attracting manufacturers/ producers of goods, when compared to neighboring states.
Shh...don't tell anyone!
Ohio remains a fairly cheap place to live overall. The three real cities (Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati) are more cosmopolitan than most might think, with great museums, symphonies and theater.
There are two Ohios, though, and the rural parts of the state still have low housing costs, along with few decent paying job opportunities
The entire southeast quadrant of the state, south of I-70 and east of I-71 lacks any interstate highway access.
This is Appalachian and while those areas where the frackers and strip miners haven't been busy are hilly and quite pretty, there are few decent jobs and any city attractions, major hospitals or even shopping are many miles of two lane away.
Housing in the more desirable parts of the urban areas is as expensive as it would be pretty much anywhere else.
We live about halfway between Cincinnati and Dayton and made the quick drive to the 'nati today to see a production of Moulin Rouge, which was fun. We are well located with plenty of shopping, theater, good libraries and top tier hospitals within easy reach. In terms of housing cost, the house next door to us was just listed at $299.9K. Not out of line by current standards, but not especially cheap.

I was surprised to see Ohio in the list. Seemed Ohio has done a better than average job as a state of keeping and attracting manufacturers/ producers of goods, when compared to neighboring states.
Intel is building a huge chip plant here in central Ohio. They broke ground at least 6 months ago and will take years to complete. I think about a 20 billion dollar investment. Not too far from the Honda plants. Just google "Ohio Intel plant" for more info.

Reactions: GON
Back