Medical field options

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is a PA. Makes great money and doesn't have the schooling debt of a DR.
But, while she does love her job(works in ERs), she also loves autopsies and stuff like that.

Healthcare, Medical Examiners, Dentists, and Morticians will always be in high demand. At least until people are no more...

Liking a job is over-rated. Or in other words, they pay you to be there. Otherwise it wouldn't be work, as everyone would want to do it. Get a high paying job, and perhaps you retire all the earlier--or at least get ahead enough that you can take a lower paying yet more fulfilling job.

Anyhow. Might not be bad to hit up a temp agency. Get cycled through some job openings, see what the grass actually looks like at some companies. Plus sometimes you can find odd jobs that are rewarding. Jack of all trades at a company, where you do a little of everything, might be "fun".

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I agree. Choose something that you can build upon and go in the right direction. Lots of times people don't know which direction to go.

jeepman071,

My employer has paid 1 year internships for all their businesses. You simply can't get a piece of paper from a college and hit the ground running without some mentoring and guidance. Being around blood is not that bad, especially if you see it all the time. I think shadowing a person in a field the OP is interested in working might help him decide.

When I've trained interns I never assumed they had knowledge of the field, started them with the very basics, the principles what we are doing and patience because every student has a different learning curve.

I agree, and internships are an excellent way to get a taste of a certain field. My comment about blood wasn't to say it is that bad, but just something to be aware of if the OP has never really been exposed to that sort of thing. Working on other people's bodies is a lot different than your own, and in the case of my sister, she 100% wanted to be a nurse until she started really getting exposed to it.

Originally Posted By: supton
Liking a job is over-rated. Or in other words, they pay you to be there. Otherwise it wouldn't be work, as everyone would want to do it. Get a high paying job, and perhaps you retire all the earlier--or at least get ahead enough that you can take a lower paying yet more fulfilling job.

I see your point but "get a high paying job" isn't really in his list of options unless he goes back to school. I disagree with liking your job being over rated. Sure, no job is "fun" or the equivalent of laying on the beach, but you spend a lot of time at work over the course of your life. Find a job that you at least don't hate or debate quitting every morning when you drive in to work.

I spent 10 years as a paramedic (not recommended) and was thoroughly burned out by the end. Take my advice for what it's worth, but i'd say look into respiratory therapy. 2 years of school and you do about half as much work as the nurses for 75% of the pay. You get your own office with the other RT's and spend most of your days walking around to different departments giving breathing treatments and running simple tests.

I'm over dealing with patients and hospital bureaucracy, however, so i'm learning to code.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: supton

I see your point but "get a high paying job" isn't really in his list of options unless he goes back to school. I disagree with liking your job being over rated. Sure, no job is "fun" or the equivalent of laying on the beach, but you spend a lot of time at work over the course of your life. Find a job that you at least don't hate or debate quitting every morning when you drive in to work.

Few people work their 'dream job' and make tons money.

I would rather be:
Starting QB for the NE Patriots, guitarist with Guns & Roses , 777 pilot or president of the Hells Angels than doing my current job. The reason why i did it for 30+ years because of the good pay, great retirement benefits, low stress and great coworkers / bosses.

The OP needs a CAREER that he will like doing while making good money with an associates degree.
$25 an hour is approx the starting pay in my previous post about careers with a 2 year degree.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Few people work their 'dream job' and make tons money.

I would rather be:
Starting QB for the NE Patriots, guitarist with Guns & Roses , 777 pilot or president of the Hells Angels than doing my current job. The reason why i did it for 30+ years because of the good pay, great retirement benefits, low stress and great coworkers / bosses.

The OP needs a CAREER that he will like doing while making good money with an associates degree.
$25 an hour is approx the starting pay in my previous post about careers with a 2 year degree.

Exactly, and that was my point. A few posters made it seem like work is always terrible no matter what you do, so just suck it up and hope you retire young enough to enjoy it. I'd say a job with good pay, great benefits, low stress, and good co-workers and bosses is a job you can "like".

Medical Assistant was brought up on here. I know several women who do this type of work in western new york for less than $14 per hour.

Some of the folks who work IT in my office do not have college degrees at all, just experience and certs.

IT work starts at $40-$45k around here. Not huge money but not 14 per hour either.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Medical Assistant was brought up on here. I know several women who do this type of work in western new york for less than $14 per hour.

Some of the folks who work IT in my office do not have college degrees at all, just experience and certs.

IT work starts at $40-$45k around here. Not huge money but not 14 per hour either.

The thing with IT is that technology usually has room for growth. Start somewhere, get some training and take a few classes and you can work your way up. I know a few project managers who don't even have a computer science degree, started as entry level technicians and now make 6 figures.

The key is the start somewhere, work hard and prove yourself, and you will do well.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Hey everyone so I've been doing quite a bit of research in different career paths and it's very obvious medical field is booming.
The college spoke with me about doing healthcare management information..... it sounds kind of boring but I'm open to opinions. What I think sounds more enjoyable is being a medical assistant but from what I can gather they do not get paid all that well. Most I ever made being a mechanic was 18 per hour. I had tool bills and no health insurance. I was content making around that oer hour. I'd be very happy between 20-25 per hour that's not big money by no means but I'm ok with just being average and happy. That being said I would prefer a 2 yr degree just because while going back to school I'll be pretty broke. And I'm not really sure I'd be comfortable being an actual nurse. What's your thoughts and opinions?

Any thoughts on what you would like to pursue as a career ?

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Take a look at the Biomedical Equipment Technology field. BMETs are in short supply in many parts of the country.

Lots of people are retiring from this field or near the end of their career. It's a good field to get into if you like a blue collar job and remain in a very clean environment. Always OT if you volunteer for it.... 97% PM compliance is very important to the laboratories and hospitals. The month of Surgery is always busy with a very tight schedule.

I sometimes post jobs for the central and northern Florida regions on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back