Meanwhile in Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hpb
Gee, and we thought it was a little chilly having our Christmas Day barbeque on a calm, sunny, 22 degree day - I'll no longer be complaining though! Honestly don't know how people survive in temperatures that cold. Must take forever putting enough clothes on to go outside, then take them all off again once you get where you're going. You have my utmost respect!

I won't post the picture, but this afternoon my two boys(5,7) thought it would be a great idea to see who could stand outside naked the longest. It was -5C and a bit breezy so they were out there for a minute then ran around the house in a foot snow, had a brief snowball fight, then ran inside to stand in front of the wood stove for a bit...
Here's a nice pic from this afternoon when we had some snow falling, so its not all deary drudgery.

"Gloomy?" That is anything but correct. I was quite cold as we had a minor storm today. But it looks beautiful ouside & I enjoy blowing snow. This place is far from 'gloomy'. Sounds like somebody needs to travel North lest he comment about something he knows not.

I recall a miserable day spent in Walt Disney World in March 2014 that was not far off ten degrees. THAT was bloody gloomy.

John.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
"Gloomy?" That is anything but correct. I was quite cold as we had a minor storm today. But it looks beautiful ouside & I enjoy blowing snow. This place is far from 'gloomy'. Sounds like somebody needs to travel North lest he comment about something he knows not.

I recall a miserable day spent in Walt Disney World in March 2014 that was not far off ten degrees. THAT was bloody gloomy.

John.

It was beautiful today here in Southern Ontario. We had a fair amount of snow and it is, as Ian's picture illustrates, quite picturesque.

At least if we had some snow, I could do some snowmobiling. We get snow and cold, then it warms up and melts everything, then another deep freeze!

car51: The tea press has been getting a nice workout.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: hpb
Gee, and we thought it was a little chilly having our Christmas Day barbeque on a calm, sunny, 22 degree day - I'll no longer be complaining though! Honestly don't know how people survive in temperatures that cold. Must take forever putting enough clothes on to go outside, then take them all off again once you get where you're going. You have my utmost respect!

I won't post the picture, but this afternoon my two boys(5,7) thought it would be a great idea to see who could stand outside naked the longest. It was -5C and a bit breezy so they were out there for a minute then ran around the house in a foot snow, had a brief snowball fight, then ran inside to stand in front of the wood stove for a bit...
Here's a nice pic from this afternoon when we had some snow falling, so its not all deary drudgery.

Very nice. Looks like you have nothing but woods around your house.

We had a nice Christmas Day here just north of Winnipeg. After opening gifts, we went out to our backyard hockey rink, dumped two 45 gallon barrels of hot water on the ice surface, and watched it freeze almost instantly.

An hour later, the kids came out and did some skating and shooting. They lasted about 45 minutes before my eldest said it was time to go in.

It is cold as heck. But if you dress for it, it is actually very enjoyable and comfortable.

Originally Posted By: propuckstopper
An hour later, the kids came out and did some skating and shooting.

So, did they do it at the same time?
smile.gif

Cold and more cold. I just plug in and have yet to run into problems. The expensive extension cord I was using had the insulation crack wide open in the cold so I have to repair it before I can use it again. Because of this, the F150 company truck never got plugged in. Fired right up this morning at -33 ambient. My Cummins got the block heater for a few hours prior to starting the other morning. Fired right up. Winter front, exhaust brake and high idle and she does just fine.

Speaking of which, I don't use additives at all and have yet to have a gel problem with our local winterized fuel.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The G37 spent many hours turned off yesterday in -26 C temperatures, and started with nothing more than a power steering groan at first. And yes, to those who wondered, I went back in and warmed up my car significantly before I drove off. Fuel dilution and wear are nothing in comparison to me being dead from hypothermia or shock cooling in my driver's seat.
wink.gif

Just make sure your doors are locked while you're warming up the car! Lots of cars get stolen in cold climates when the owners leave them running and unattended.

Here is something that is certainly Canadian weather related, and one that I think will certainly appeal to the members of this board.

So this morning, we jump in my wife's ES300 and drive an hour to a family gathering. We get there at 11 AM sharp, and the temperature is around -37 Celsius with windchill.

The car is parked outside for the day, and I already know that we will be leaving about 7 PM for home. So, at about 4:30 PM, I go outside to plug in the car. Not because I don't think it won't start at 7 PM, but to make it a little easier on an engine that would have been sitting in -30 temperatures for 8 hours.

One of the guests at this gathering overhears that I am going outside to plug in the car, and somewhat sarcastically asks me why I don't go out, start it, and let it run for fifteen minutes. I explain that there is no reason to cold start an engine twice in these extreme temperatures, and that a little heat for my 7 PM departure will be much easier on the engine.

He looked at me like I had two heads, and began what could have developed into a lengthy debate. I politely suggested that I don't go through new cars every three years (as he does), and that pretty much ended that conversation. We have had this car for twelve years now and there is no reason to abuse it.

The most incredible thing about this deal is the guy used to work as a professional mechanic...

Reminds me of how I cringe when guys have their remote starters set to start up for a few minutes every time the coolant gets below something like -20 C or -25 C, or whatever they are set at. Now, if I were in a place in those conditions and couldn't plug in, and expected a bit of vehicle trouble, yes, I'd start for 15 minutes or so, but only in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Reminds me of how I cringe when guys have their remote starters set to start up for a few minutes every time the coolant gets below something like -20 C or -25 C, or whatever they are set at. Now, if I were in a place in those conditions and couldn't plug in, and expected a bit of vehicle trouble, yes, I'd start for 15 minutes or so, but only in a pinch.

I did not even know that remote car starters had the option to cold start a vehicle when the coolant gets below a certain temperature.

Then again, I do not, or would not own a remote starter. I have been taught that internal combustion engines are designed to be put to work under load even when cold, and not idle for prolonged periods.

It doesn't mean that you should start a stone cold engine and run it like you are trying to qualify for the pole position at the Daytona 500.

It simply means that common sense should be used.

Last edited:
Some do have that option, but I never had one like that. My Audi and Town Car had remote starters before I got them, but they were very rudimentary ones that didn't have that option. I preferred it that way, less "stuff" to go wrong. Hit the button and start it if I want to start it. No locks, windows, automatic temperature starting, alarms, or anything else to confuse the issue.

I never minded using them, but within reason. It wasn't to start a vehicle for half an hour. Get it running before I got my boots and everything else on, or while finishing my last cup of coffee. A minute during the heat of summer would help, too, with the black leather seats of the Audi cooled by the AC. The Town Car saw a lot of outdoor starts, so it was often plugged in, which certainly helped the warmup, too.

Well, the cold has rolled in here today too. It's presently -23C (-9.5F) and expected to get down to close to -30C tonight (-22F).

Might actually hit the 5w-xx CCS limit
grin.gif

It was a balmy -8F here around I-80 area today. Started Camry at 6:30am with Magnatec 5w20 in and 3 second per steering whine but 8 minutes later; roasting heat!

Was -12 25 miles south where real Dad is at. Thank god for his hard coal stove

Breakfast was homemade buckwheat pancakes and spicy local ground sausage from his old co worker
wink.gif
. Very tasty

Dang is it brutal today. I think it hit +1F. But breezy!

Had a half-dead battery in the car, starting it and moving it closer to the house so I could hook up a charger took a good minute--which was about 59 seconds too long.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks delicious
20.gif

Very tasty yes
smile.gif

Dads truck in his garage cranked over tad slow with the QSUD 10w30 I gave him but warmed up fast. I’ll have to remember to cut his WIX filter open
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back