MC FL-400S M1 OCI

This weekend my son is changing the oil and filters in our trucks. He can bring me an FL-400S from work for my engine, or a M1 209-209A, from his uncles stash (he has 3) that he doesn't need anymore.
If l use the MC filter, how many miles should l use it for until next OCI? The oil l will be using is M1 AFS (Advanced Full Synthetic) 5W20 @ .99 cents per 5 qt. container.

When I used the FL-400S in the past, I went up to 7.5K miles. This M1 states that it's good up to 10K. I just want to be sure the filter will geaux 10K miles.

When I used the FL-400S in the past, I went up to 7.5K miles. This M1 states that it's good up to 10K. I just want to be sure the filter will geaux 10K miles.
What length OCI are you planning on doing?

If they are both free, get the M1 filter since it is made for what you want to do.

If you have to get the FL-400S I'm sure it will go 10K miles. it has the silicon backflow valve so that will work fine. Even if it didn't it should still work fine. I had on one my lawntractor for 200 hours at 2 years. I changed it just because I felt guilty. the insides were fine after all that time and heat on a air cooled engine.

Well, I have never done an OCI over 7.5K miles. I was thinking about going 10K with the M1 ASF 5W20 (It states it can go up to 10K miles), but can the FL-400S handle that?
Ford recommends up to 10K OCIs on the newer Fords, and they all use Motorcraft oil filters. So I'd think based on that Ford knows the Motorcraft filer will do 10K runs.

Some might think it's trivial questions I'm asking. But, I have yet to use a FL-400S for more than 5K miles. It took me awhile just to break away from 3K mile OCI's. I usually run an OCI for 4-5K miles. If I get to 7.5K miles on this OCI, it will be a giant step forward for me.
My sons uncle used to own a 2002 Ranger. He bought a 6-pack of M1-209 oil filters for it before he totaled it. He said I could have the last 3. I will either use one of them, or a FL-400S.
Thanks for all of the replies.

The filter will be perfectly fine, pretty much every cheap jobber filter should be fine for 10000mi now, Fram and Supertech claim 10000mi on their cheapest offerings, I think the OLMs on a lot of newer Ford cars can go over 10000mi and they only use the smaller fl910s, an fl400 should be more than sufficient for 10000mi, I'd say that with pretty much any filter, the oil will completely used up before the filter becomes too clogged to work.

Either filter is fine for 10,000. If they are both free and the M1 is an older one (champ) use that, otherwise FL400S.
Thanks DR.
I'm not sure if it's a 209 or a 209A. The last one my son brought me was a 209. His uncle told him to just bring all of them to me.
My son is also bringing me a few used FL-820S MC oil filters for me to C&P.

Last edited:
I'd use the MC without worry. These filters are well built. I use them on our 2005 Grand Cherokee and my LT150. I do 5K miles in the GC and could go further for sure. Nice filter!

Just my $0.02

My son just finished both trucks OCI. He used the M1-209 on my engine. Can someone decipher the date on it? 209.jpg

Back