Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

Originally Posted by zeng
Short answer :higher KV40 for 80W90 , commonly recommended in olden times .

should I bother change it all?
car is now on 30k miles but doing very short daily trips,like 4miles a day in traffic,only on weekends I do 60 miles on the highway.

Last edited:
Whats the specs for this gear oil, and whats a good a after market equivalent?
After searching the internet for this info, I finally have the answer. I bought a couple of quarts at the dealership yesterday and the label now states the gear oil is 75W-85. I imagine a quality alternative in that weight would be acceptable, unless you believe Mazda has a proprietary additive package that exceeds those of the alternative. At $32 a quart, a high end alternative would still save you money.

After searching the internet for this info, I finally have the answer. I bought a couple of quarts at the dealership yesterday and the label now states the gear oil is 75W-85. I imagine a quality alternative in that weight would be acceptable, unless you believe Mazda has a proprietary additive package that exceeds those of the alternative. At $32 a quart, a high end alternative would still save you money.
I will be helping a close friend maintain her 2019 CX-9 AWD. The Mazda differential is a bit pricy. Has anyone been using an equivalent that costs less? Thanks.

Back