Mazda 3, Impreza or Civic hatchback.. Which one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general, I like how Toyota and Honda products age. Their parts availability is also pretty good. For those reasons I would go with the Honda.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I've narrowed my search down to these 3 cars and will test drive soon.
Any other cars I should consider ?

Golf 1.8

The Golf has long been the gold standard when it comes to hatchbacks.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I've narrowed my search down to these 3 cars and will test drive soon.
Any other cars I should consider ?

Golf 1.8

The Golf has long been the gold standard when it comes to hatchbacks.

What makes the Golf the... 'gold standard' ?

add $3K and get Mazda6; the closeout sale for 2018 currently going on before the new model come in

it is dying breed for sure

I look up 3 dealers in my area, none with manuals

GL!

Styling, refinement, ride quality, available engines/transmissions...

It's just better.

The Civic, Golf, and Mazda3 are the most fun to drive; I can't imagine being sentenced to driving a soul-killing appliance on a daily basis.
The Fiesta ST is also a hoot, but probably smaller than a lot of people prefer.

I also am looking at new car later this year. Turbo's have invaded almost every manufacturer.

Civic Hatchback looks like 'butt'. Its clearly a teenager's first attempt at designing a rocket car and it was too late for the production team to tell anyone the car couldn't actually have rocket engines...hence and plethora of fake panels. LOL...the back end looks jacked up...even tho it isn't. Turbo unproven?

I keep reading VW has quality by some, then it has poor quality by others, they say the EA888 family of engines is great, but to others not reliable. All models are turbo..they have had thier scandals..I wish we could find the truth.

Subaru, I can't tell if the head gasket issue is resolved, but I keep reading their transmissions have issues. AWD not needed = mpg hit?

The Korean cars, I heard of some direct injection reliability issues, turbo issues, but then others report they are great. Some report decent build quality, but with no soul or excitement to drive.

Toyota Corolla, still has the same engine and drive train they did in 2009. Drum brakes in the rear. The Corolla is the pinnacle achieving unbelievably boring reliability. I know, I have one.

Mazda Skyactive clearly has a fuel sipper with decent power no turbo. Everyone says they are fun to drive and have decent interiors. Most say rust issues went away last generation.

I am interested in your findings....

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Subaru, I can't tell if the head gasket issue is resolved, but I keep reading their transmissions have issues.

No head gasket problems in the FA and FB engines. But the FB may still be an oil-burner with a manual transmission (seems very rare with the CVT these days).

Haven't heard of any major transmission problems.

Despite owning a Forester, I'd suggest picking a different brand if you don't need the AWD. Subaru spend money on that which other manufacturers would spend on the interior or electronic gadgets.

The new MQB chassis is really good. The base model has a leather steering wheel, back up camera, car play, decent audio quality. The wagon's cargo space is on par with a lot of crossover SUVs. Its just nuts to go down the highway at 40 mpg with a full pallet of goods in the back. Perfectly flat loading area in the back, no trunk drop down nonsense. I did have to buy out of state to get a stick shift base model wagon. It doesn't cost much more $$$ or weight to select the wagon over the normal 4 door golf.

It's the base model of the Golf R, a rocket hatch. You can put the Golf R turbo on it and tune it to the mid 300hp range. Its THE platform for the enthusiast who wants a mature styled vehicle. I got pulled over once for +12 over the limit and got a warning. I would expect a citation in a Civic hatch or a Focus RS.

With the Golf S, Golf GTI, Golf Sportwagen, Sportwagen All Track, Golf R, there is one for everybody. Nobody else has a transferable 6 year 72k mile bumper to bumper warranty(2018 MY).

I'm not die hard VW fan but nobody else offers a cheap stick shift turbo wagon. I'm addicted to driving a small wagon. Once you experience the mpg, capability, and the handling (i added larger summer wheels) you realize you get everything in one inexpensive vehicle.

I should get a job at VW selling these things.

VW Canada is 4yr/50,000mi complete warranty. Power train is slightly better at 5yr/62,500mi

Toyota Canada is 3yr/37,000mi complete warranty, Power train is slightly better at 5yr/62,500mi...8yr/100K mi is its a hyrid.

Honda Canada will match VW, but it will be extra cost and considered extended warranty, otherwise its the same as Toyota.

Ford, GM, Honda and Toyota all have the same complete

Mazda Canada has bumper to bumper 5 year Unlimited miles warranty...Hyundai Canada is same as Mazda.

I guess the warranties really are region dependent.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Mazda Canada has bumper to bumper 5 year Unlimited miles warranty

Well, that's a nice surprise.
Even better is this line from the Mazda.ca website:

https://www.mazda.ca/en/warranty/mazda-unlimited-warranty/

Quote:
What if my vehicle requires repair when I am travelling in the US? Am I still covered? Does the US have the same warranty coverage as Canada?

Mazda Canada Inc. (MCI) and Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) have a reciprocal agreement when it comes to warranty coverage while travelling in North America. Canadian 2015 model year vehicles will receive the terms of the Canadian Unlimited Mileage Warranty coverage even if travelling in the US, providing that the repair or diagnostic occurs at an authorized Mazda dealership while in the United States.

BC.

I can't comment on your top 3.

However, my Hyundai Elantra Gt is a 6-speed with a simple fuel injected, proven engine. I currently have 60,000 trouble free miles on it. I'm a BIG fan of the current GT redesign. I've also hauled a total of 20,000+ lbs of construction material over the years as well with the rear seats folded flat. Hatchbacks, in general, are so versatile.

I don't think any of your choices will leave you disappointed. So to answer your question.... I'd drive them all and most likely purchase the Mazda based on perceived driving dynamics. I very much dislike the look of the Civic. I'd also drive the Cruze hatch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back