Matrix/Vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears they are now offered with Toyota's 2.4 4-cyl; Pontiac is "re" offering the AWD version. I seem to recall the 1.8 AWD version put out about 128 HP, many people complained that configuration was anemic; maybe this is the fix.

I'm glad they still offer the 1.8

the 1.8L seems fine to me. I'm glad they are keeping that engine, I want fuel economy

ditto. seems awful stupid to put a bigger, thirstier engine int an economy car, given th circumstances of our economy.

JMH

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
the 1.8L seems fine to me. I'm glad they are keeping that engine, I want fuel economy

Everything I've been reading about the 2009 Corolla/Matrix/Vibe says the 1.8 is all new and not the same as the 1ZZ-FE in our Vibes. There is some info in this article , but I'm dying to find out the details. The new engine has dual VVT whereas the 1ZZ-FE only has it on the intake valves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
ditto. seems awful stupid to put a bigger, thirstier engine int an economy car, given th circumstances of our economy.

JMH

Part of me agrees..........only part
grin2.gif

I wonder the MPG diff...and I want AWD.

This might be one of those cases where the bigger engine actually yields better MPG due to it not being necessary to rev the cr*p out of it to hustle it down the road. I remember some of the first automotive press impressions of the original Vibe, and that was their chief complaint...when it was time to giddyup, they had to basically abuse the engine to make it perform. Perhaps the 2.4 could be the fix.

The new 1.8l 4 cyl is the same as the one in the Scion xD. Mine gets around 30 city. I haven't had it on any really long highway trips to judge that mileage. VERY quiet at idle. Highway speeds run about 3.5k RPM @ 80 mph. It's not a scorcher but it will move that xD pretty good. The clutch feel in mine is very light and it's not hard to stall, especially with the ETC. The cartridge filter is a PITA to replace as it is under the engine near the oil pan. I'm not huge but I have to wedge myself under there to get to it. It's horizontal also. Depending on the underhood design, working on it won't be easy. My xD has a removable panel to access the plugs and brake res.

Quote:
The cartridge filter is a PITA to replace as it is under the engine near the oil pan. I'm not huge but I have to wedge myself under there to get to it. It's horizontal also. Depending on the underhood design, working on it won't be easy.

Sad. The filter on the 1ZZFE is the simplest one ever to replace.

I know the greenies love the cartridge filters but it needs to be a easy change for me to have one.

Oh well, thats progress for you.

Bill

Man that is a bummer...I gotta admit, the oil change on the Ecotec I have in my HHR is super simple due to the top loading oil cartridge but the OIC on my 05 Matrix was butter for a can type cartidge...I almost miss it lol it was super easy.

Miss the Matrix a bit...I feel the Ecotec will last as long as the 1ZZFE, it is the rest of the car I'm worried about
smirk2.gif

Goose

From Pontiac's site, MPG is 26/32 on the 1.8L, 21/29 on the 2.4L & GT and 20/26 on the AWD.

I'm seriously interested in this car now. I'm looking to buy new this summer and for the price, this seems like a great little car.

I'm seriously interested in it too for the wife. I've seen the Pontiac up close nad I like it a lot, but haven't driven one yet. I'd like to get a used one with low miles for around $10K-$12K. I have a hard time with the concept of buying a new car. Not out of the question because financing options are more attractive for new cars, but the insurance cost for a new car has got to be an awful lot. I don't know.......

Good luck on finding a low mileage one for that price range. Before buying our new Corolla we looked high and low for 1 or 2 year old Matrix/Vibes with low miles, and they are rarer than hen's teeth in my neck of the woods. When you do find one, with say, 28K miles, it still stickers at 14-17K here. AWD is even harder to find. For 10-12K you are looking at a model with 50,000 miles +.

The spiel from multiple dealers is that the Matrix/Vibe are just a hard vehicle to come across used.

The insurance on a new car isn't that bad. My Corolla 08' with the max coverage and windshield coverage comes in at 60 bucks a month. And I am not an old guy (32). I am married and the wife is 27, so maybe that helps it come in cheaper I spose. That is with a 1000 deductible which is the general rule with my vehicles.

I saw a fantastic deal about a month ago on ebay for a really clean I think 04 Vibe with like 30K miles for $12K. I wasn't ready to buy yet or I would have jumped on it. I hate finding good deals and not being able to take advantage of them. I was under the impression that car insurance for new cars is a lot more expensive than that. We pay around $100/month for older cars but have a 17 year old and a 19 year old in the house. Probably why it's so much.

I hate when I find deals too, but am not ready to purchase!

For a 95' Nissan Pickup and a 00' Saturn with just liability and a 2008 Corolla with full coverage, the bill is 641 every six months.

Yeah, it's probably the young ones your household that make it more.

I am 32, wife is 27, and between us no accidents, tickets, or DUI offenses.

Last edited:
That's about $100 a month per car on 5 cars. It's a Big chunk of change. One of them is an extra vehicle that has actually come in handy, but it has to go.

I remember when the wife and I weren't 25 years old and it was considerably more for auto insurance. They place a huge deal on age.

Have you got a quote online. That is where I got my insurance after checking out the lowest prices. I was skeptical, but it really worked. Came out to be cheaper. I was with Farmer's for about 10 years prior to going with the company I am with now.

Last edited:
Online? Which one do you use? We've been with Allstate for almost the entire 16 years we've lived in Florida. Once we get rid of the 5th vehicle I plan on shopping around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back