marvel mystery oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys ive posted this before i think but im wondering i recently bought this 92 gmc 4.3 jimmy oil had not been changed since feb 03 or 58000 miles ive been doing 300 mile short changes with cheap 1030 oil and 1 quart marvel oil took 3 changes finaly will stay clear just wondering is this a good way to clean an engine or should i just use an engine flush.

Originally Posted By: jc1990
hi guys ive posted this before i think but im wondering i recently bought this 92 gmc 4.3 jimmy oil had not been changed since feb 03 or 58000 miles ive been doing 300 mile short changes with cheap 1030 oil and 1 quart marvel oil took 3 changes finaly will stay clear just wondering is this a good way to clean an engine or should i just use an engine flush.

Keep running a quart of MMO in your oil, this will do more than an engine flush.

After those short few flushes you most likely got quite a bit out. I would try a good oil known for cleaning at this point. Rotella T5 10w30 would be a good one.

Why not run a 3000 mile OCI now with a qt of MMO? You probably got a fair amount of junk out of the engine. The 3000 mile OCI will give the MMO a chance to work. If you really feel the engine is dirty you can cut the OCI back if you like. JMO

You probably should have left the 10-30 and MMO in for 900 miles, instead of 3 X 300s.
But you DID clean things - no one can tell how much.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Why not run a 3000 mile OCI now with a qt of MMO? You probably got a fair amount of junk out of the engine. The 3000 mile OCI will give the MMO a chance to work. If you really feel the engine is dirty you can cut the OCI back if you like. JMO

Agreed. It is time to run the MMO longer. I would run a good oil with 1qt of the MMO for up to 3000. After that I would just start using oil.

YEAH I WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING IN 1540 OIL WITH 1 QUART OF THIS FOR 3000 MILES I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND SAVE THIS ENGINE.

YEAH I WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING IN 1540 OIL WITH 1 QUART OF THIS FOR 3000 MILES I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND SAVE THIS ENGINE.

When you go to change your oil with MMO in there for 3000 miles and you notice the oil looks very dark then it might be a good idea to do another 3000 mile OCI with a quart of MMO.

If you use a quart of MMO (replacing a quart) it might be a good idea to get a slightly heavier oil to compensate for the dulition effect of MMO. Others on this board may even have a formula for calculations. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back