Marine tools?

Looking for some very basic tools to leave on an old pontoon which only sees short underways a few times per year so I really don’t want to spend much. Problem is we never have a screw driver when needed.

Right now I have some old needle nose that rusted up but have been doing well for the past two years after a fluid film soak.

I want to add at least a flathead and #2 Phillips. I can grab a couple of spare drivers and wipe them with fluid film as well hoping for the best…. In fact I will likely do this. But if there any decently priced stainless steel screw drivers out there? Looks like wera makes a set for $50 but this offers no benefit to me over replacing a $4 pair every couple years as needed…

Looking for some very basic tools to leave on an old pontoon which only sees short underways a few times per year so I really don’t want to spend much. Problem is we never have a screw driver when needed.

Right now I have some old needle nose that rusted up but have been doing well for the past two years after a fluid film soak.

I want to add at least a flathead and #2 Phillips. I can grab a couple of spare drivers and wipe them with fluid film as well hoping for the best…. In fact I will likely do this. But if there any decently priced stainless steel screw drivers out there? Looks like wera makes a set for $50 but this offers no benefit to me over replacing a $4 pair every couple years as needed…
i always carried pliers, wire cutters, couple different screw drivers, old ratchet with spark plug socket and spare plugs, knife....

I carry a pair of vise grips that have the wire cutter, a 4 way flip over screw driver, extra long pair of needle nose and a pair of slip joint pliers, a 3/8 ratchet and sockets that fit my prop nut and the motor mount through bolts, folding knife and a long pair of forceps. I keep them oiled and in a plastic box that has a rubber gasket along with some parts like fuses, cotter pins, electrical tape, water proof epoxy stick ect. I picked up most at either the pawn shop or Harbor Freight.

Marine tools?​

Maybe something like this?

marine.jpg

I would get a Klein bit driver, some adjustable wrenches, a hammer and some punches, and whatever else you can think of and put them in a water-tight case with some dessicant bags.

Like cars have done, marine engines have gotten complex. Still good to have some tools. Freezer bags are more heavy duty than normal zip-lock bags. Spray with oil, WD40, FF and don't wipe it off.

My 2011 VP engine/outdrive needs a laptop & $800 adapter to read engine codes. And I have 3 or so OBDII scanners for cars/trucks but not marine engines.

Back