Manual Tranny Fluid for Cold Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may need a thinner (lower viscosity) MTL specific, GL-4 protection rating fluid for those extreme temps:

Manual Transmission Mechanical and Fluid Technology

See post #3231410

Quote:
A. The four MTL fluids closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.1 (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
The BOT 303 should be the factory fill. I was planning on doing a UOA when I drain mine at 10K plus and then a follow up UOA at 20K.

That would be great - would love to see that.

I used a dirty ice salt bucket to drain it into, I was convinced that what came out would be the same "black water" as others had reported. If it weren't for that I'd send a sample of mine in to see if is indeed the BOT 303. It looked pretty good coming out, though I only drained 50oz and there's supposed to be 64 (2 quarts).

Yes, a completely different gearbox than your little Chebbie's (same/similar as your Z06's though);

My T56 will grind/act 'balky' in this single digit/< 0* F weather for the first few shifts into second & third until warmed up when using straight Red Line MTL.

Next winter (or sooner if these arctic snaps keep up for any length of time) I may try the very thin, 7.5 cSt MTLs which MolaKule suggests.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Blue_Angel

Are there any manual transmission fluids (synchromesh?) that are known to work better at low temperatures? Do others have different experiences with this fluid at these temps?

Pretty much the thinnest manual transmission fluid that you can buy is the 100% fully synthetic BMW MTF-LT-3 (made by Pentosin). It will cost you 2 arms, a leg, and them some, but it is truly an excellent fluid.

My brother's 2009 BMW came with this fluid from the factory, and it does not even flinch in the -25 to -30 C weather that we've had here on and off for the past few weeks. Shifts are butter smooth.

The viscosity is around 6.x cSt at 100 C, but the brookfield viscosity at -40 C is like 5000 - 6000 cP, way less than any other fluid other than a synthetic Dex VI ATF (which is not as well suited for manual transmissions, despite the factory fill).

Give it a shot if you can spare the 100 bucks
wink.gif
I don't think you'll be disappointed.

MolaKule;

Is there ANY chance at all of that GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid being a full synthetic??
21.gif

My most local parts store/AC Delco dealer has it on the shelf for ~$6.50/quart.

I figure that it absolutely CANNOT have ANY group 4, or 5 in it for THAT price, correct?

Blue - Has anyone of the Cruze forum tried Redline D4 or D6?
I wonder if D4 or D6 could be mixed with Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF?

Redline D6: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 6.4
Redline D4: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 7.5
Amsoil MTF: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 9.7
Redline MTL: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 10.4

My Fusion shifts quite well in this subzero weather, a little stiff for the first few shifts but NO crunching. Car has 93K and the current fill in the trans has 60K on it (2 qts Amsoil MTG & 1 qt of Amsoil MTF). The trans also shifts beautifully hot weather.

RL D4 and MTF in a 50:50 mixture is EXTREMELY popular with BMW owners running a lightweight flywheel, as it really does give most of the benefits of both while reducing many of the negatives.

I'm not sure which fluid my 2006 Civic came with from the factory ... MTF I or the thinner MTF II but when I switched to Amsoil MTF, I wasn't too impressed. It was the middle of summer and, initially, I felt that the factory fill was a bit smoother. But after 2-3,000 miles of warm weather driving, the temps dropped and winter came. The sub-freezing shifting was MUCH smoother and by the time the next spring and summer came along, that became smoother as well.

I now have about 55,000 miles on the fluid and the shifting remains butter-smooth. I will probably swap out the fluid again within the next year but it's NOT because the shift-feel has deteriorated.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
RL D4 and MTF in a 50:50 mixture is EXTREMELY popular with BMW owners running a lightweight flywheel, as it really does give most of the benefits of both while reducing many of the negatives.

YES, Dave @ Red Line tech specifically states that these two fluids CAN be mixed/blended (in ANY ratio) to get the exact properties/viscosities/cf one needs, or desires.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: cos
Blue - Has anyone of the Cruze forum tried Redline D4 or D6?
I wonder if D4 or D6 could be mixed with Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF?

Redline D6: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 6.4
Redline D4: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 7.5
Amsoil MTF: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 9.7
Redline MTL: Vis @ 100°C, cSt is 10.4

My Fusion shifts quite well in this subzero weather, a little stiff for the first few shifts but NO crunching. Car has 93K and the current fill in the trans has 60K on it (2 qts Amsoil MTG & 1 qt of Amsoil MTF). The trans also shifts beautifully hot weather.

Straight D6 would be the closest viscosity wise to the factory fill. But even Redline does not have a recommendation this application.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister

Straight D6 would be the closest viscosity wise to the factory fill. But even Redline does not have a recommendation this application.

Exactly, almost every other fluid out there is simply thicker than the stock fluid for this transmission.

However, the BMW MTF-LT-3 (Pentosin MTF 3) is a fully synthetic fluid that is purposely built for manual transmissions, with the correct friction characteristics, and pretty much the correct viscosity for the manual tranny in the OP's Cruze. The only downside is obviously cost (BMW dealers make a nice profit on this fluid I'm sure, for the price that they charge, and that's the only place I'm aware of that carries it in NA)...

Pentosin MTF2 is close to MTF3 and is easy to find. Oreilly's even carries it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

The OP is in Canada, as am I. Trust me, the MTF2 is just as hard to find up here and is not much cheaper than the MTF3.

You guys are quite a bit more fortunate when it comes to oil than we are! Thankfully I take regular business trips to the US where I normally stock up on things that I need...

Originally Posted By: badtlc

NO ONE near me has it on their shelves, NOT even specialized EURO import parts stores! (And this is in an area where ALL of the high-zoot Euro/Teuton-mobiles outnumber the 'lowly' domestics, and even the plebian Nippon appliances, by 10 to 1!)
frown.gif

The ones that offer to "get it for you" will charge $26.00/liter PLUS shipping from the warehouse or a vendor drop ship.

FORGET ABOUT the Ravenol MTF-2 stuff which MolaKule and others suggest, as even the most knowledgeable Euro dealers/parts stores around here have NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THIS gearbox fluid AT ALL!!
I also CANNOT find anyone selling it online ANYWHERE.

DOES IT EXIST, and if so, does ANYONE bring it into THIS country???????!!!!!!!!!!!
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I was actually asking about the Ravenol MTF-2.
wink.gif

yes but the posts before you weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back