Mahle KC63/1D diesel fuel secondary filter for MB

JHZR2

Staff member
Cut apart a diesel filter from a 1991 MB diesel.

It’s a secondary filter, I believe 5um.

Clean and looked fine. Definitely had some weird material in the filter area.

IMG_5047.jpeg
IMG_5048.jpeg
IMG_5049.jpeg
IMG_5050.jpeg
IMG_5052.jpeg
IMG_5051.jpeg

I've never seen a filter with such narrow pleats & with that many. I wonder how long this filter media is when stretched out? It looks like it could go a very long time on the MB. What does the OEM suggest for duration?

I've never seen a filter with such narrow pleats & with that many. I wonder how long this filter media is when stretched out? It looks like it could go a very long time on the MB. What does the OEM suggest for duration?
Well it’s for fuel, not oil.

I’ve heard one year or 15k from some, 30k miles as a recommendation from IIRC the FSM, and others say when it starts to have driveability issues since it’s a secondary filter that cycles the fuel in the injection pump. The lift pump sets the internal to the IP pressure…

Well it’s for fuel, not oil.

I’ve heard one year or 15k from some, 30k miles as a recommendation from IIRC the FSM, and others say when it starts to have driveability issues since it’s a secondary filter that cycles the fuel in the injection pump. The lift pump sets the internal to the IP pressure…

Very good information sir. Than You for sharing that.

Not that I have much of anything to compare, so this is very subjective. Aeeing as that's the secondary, I would say there is quite a bit of material in there. What are the specs for the primary?

Not that I have much of anything to compare, so this is very subjective. Aeeing as that's the secondary, I would say there is quite a bit of material in there. What are the specs for the primary?
Not much. I forget if it’s 20 or 30um? It’s a fine screen. There is a larger screen in the tank.

Given that these cars run hundreds of thousands of miles without issue, and the IPs are not a big issue, I’d say they’re doing something right…

Back