Magnetic sockets?

JHZR2

Staff member
A few times recently I’ve needed to get a screw or bolt with a hex head, into a near-blind hole, in a vertical position.

A magnetic socket would have been nice. Maybe a socket with a small magnet on it or in it.

Does anyone do this? Any best practices?

Think 8-10 mm heads.

Reactions: JC1
I have the sunnex 1/4” set and they are my most used sockets(mostly work on motorcycles). Goes down to 6 or 5mm, can’t remember.

Highly recommend.

For 3/8 drive Astro makes a good set

Magnetic sockets are great tools for the job you describe. There is a "redneck trick" if you want bolts to stick to normal sockets though, wrap a thin layer of tape around bolts head. I use PTFE sealing tape around the bolts head and the bolt will stick quite well to the socket.

There's been a few times where I needed a magnetic socket, but as time goes on, I forgot why. If I ran into the issue on a regular basis, I'd get only the sizes needed I and they would probably be from Snap-on. I'm getting too old to be taking chances on iffy tools.

Magnetic sockets are great tools for the job you describe. There is a "redneck trick" if you want bolts to stick to normal sockets though, wrap a thin layer of tape around bolts head. I use PTFE sealing tape around the bolts head and the bolt will stick quite well to the socket.
I don’t think for the small 8mm head screws that were causing me issues, that this would work.

Don't spend that kind of money. It's just not worth it on a tool like that. I have several sets of these, and they work beautifully. Both sets together are $10.00 bucks.

If you want to up the quality a bit they offer these as well.

Last edited:
I have this set but with matco stamped on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629-031047.jpg
    Screenshot_20230629-031047.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 13
Better than magnetic - these work great. Thanks to @Sam_Julier for the recommendation!

I’ve never used magnetic tipped sockets just the ko-ken nut grips. They work incredibly well.

If you’re tired of dropping nuts and bolts ko-ken nut grips are the answer.

I guess I'm just old school... I have used grease to hold the screw in the socket, or magnetized the socket the old fashioned way. Never saw a need to buy anything special.

Just my $0.02

I don't want any magnetic sockets. I drop sockets too often when I work on cars and they are hard enough to find without them sticking to something.

I too just have magnetic nut setters. It's a compromise but a couple times per year can be useful. I tend to hoard the cheap ones as I almost consider them consumables. They seem to vanish or the epoxied magnets fall out and they're not worth trying to re-adhere.

Both the problems above could be cured by 1) being more conscientious about tool placement/storage and 2) just buy quality....but for some reason I like cheap ones I can use and abuse.

Finally, if you really wanna git jiggy wit it, GW offers magnetic hex keys.

I show both products here:

A few times recently I’ve needed to get a screw or bolt with a hex head, into a near-blind hole, in a vertical position.

A magnetic socket would have been nice. Maybe a socket with a small magnet on it or in it.

Does anyone do this? Any best practices?

Think 8-10 mm heads.
I use a small piece of masking tape over the socket to hold bolts and nuts.

Back