Magnetic Drain Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnetic drain plugs are a lot more common in gear boxes and differentials and manufacturers are reluctant to use them in engine oil pans.

I am guessing that they do not want ferrous particles in engine oil magnetized which might lead them to adhere to cranks, camshafts etc and cause damage. I am also guessing that magnetized particles do not present as much of a problem in non-engine applications.

This ia also a commonly cited downside to the magnetic bands which fit around engine oil filters.

how helpful have you found the magnets to be? ever find chunks? what preventative measures have you taken as a result of finding something on the drain plug?

just curious.

My Toyota and Subaru (also my Chevys) all came with Mag plugs.

I took them off and put on quick drains. The oil filter does a much better job than any plug.

Never had enough stuff on a mag plug to worry about.

Take care, bill

PS: Off topic but... Let us know what MPG you get with the truck once it is broken in!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: George7941
Magnetic drain plugs are a lot more common in gear boxes and differentials and manufacturers are reluctant to use them in engine oil pans.

I am guessing that they do not want ferrous particles in engine oil magnetized which might lead them to adhere to cranks, camshafts etc and cause damage. I am also guessing that magnetized particles do not present as much of a problem in non-engine applications.

This ia also a commonly cited downside to the magnetic bands which fit around engine oil filters.

why would magnetized particles an issue in the engine but not in a transmission or differential?

It seems to me that if ferrous particle gets close enough to the magnet to be magnetized that they will be captured.

I agree that they don't do much good except as in indication of how fast your engine is consuming itself.

Well on my 6.0 Diesel F250 it came stock with a Mag oil plug. You could tell how much [censored] was on it when you did an oil change. after 3 oil changes the amount on the plug was reduced, and I could tell break in was complete. If it's good for a diesel, it'll be good for a Taco.

BMC front wheel drive units had a magnetic drain plug - you knew there was a problem on the way when there was a crown wheel tooth or bearing cage on the end of the magnet.

Yeah, I'm glad I ordered the "super magnetic" drain plug. Deffinately gives you a heads up. b/c you'll know what normal "wear" is when you wipe it off on a paper towel each time.

Well, all I know is expensive equipment come stock with them. Diesels, Construction equipment, etc. So if it was good enough for International to put in my 6.0... good enough for my 4.0. Can't hurt that's for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
I just changed the oil in my '09 4.0 Toyota and got a bit ticked the factory didn't put a magnetic drain plug in it.

Toyota saved a few pennies per vehicle. For them it adds up to a nice 5 or 6 digit figure savings for the production run. The cost/benefit for them wasn't worth it.

Well, all I know is expensive equipment come stock with them. Diesels, Construction equipment, etc.

This is fleet equipment where a magnetic drain plug can give early warning of problems with the engine.

... I am guessing that they do not want ferrous particles in engine oil magnetized which might lead them to adhere to cranks, camshafts etc and cause damage. I am also guessing that magnetized particles do not present as much of a problem in non-engine applications...

Guess again, they're used in small aircraft. If enough particles build up on the magnet a sensor trips the warning light letting the pilot know the engine may be disintegrating, and hopefully give him enough time to land before the engine seizes.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Guess again, they're used in small aircraft. If enough particles build up on the magnet a sensor trips the warning light letting the pilot know the engine may be disintegrating, and hopefully give him enough time to land before the engine seizes.

Interesting. I guess you are talking about a chip detector? Those would be in turbine engines that I've seen.

Never seen one in a piston engine. I have seen mag plugs in piston engines but they only tell you something is wrong during the oil change. This is why UOAs are used and very important in small aircraft engines.

I've flown quite a few aircraft and only when I was flying a KingAir did I start seeing the chip detectors. Never had such warning systems in the piston twins (Baron, C414, C421 and Model 76 Duchess) or any single engine plane (C172, Archer, Arrow, Dakota, Saratoga, C210, Bonanza and Malibu) that I've been in.

Maybe I'm getting old (ok I am
grin2.gif
) but I don't remember any....

SO I'm not hurting anything by upgrading to a mag plug then.
No.

But you really are not gaining anything either IMO. Anything damaging in the sump is already damaged and the sump pickup then goes directly into a filter which will catch anything that could damage the engine.

The oil pump can pump pretty large items with no effect to its life.

Take care, Bill

Quote:

They're used in commercial and military aircraft also. jets/turbines have quite a few mag plugs and sensing mag plugs.

A mag plug certainly doesn't hurt anything but their usefulness in a regular duty engine is questionable. That's why I was asking about the benefits you've witnessed by using them. Someday someone will give me a great account of avoiding certain disaster because they found something on their mag plug.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

why would magnetized particles an issue in the engine but not in a transmission or differential?

Dunno. I was merely hypothesizing, based on the fact that all the diffys I have come across have the magnetic drain plugs in them but not all engines have had them.

Differentials have a mag plug because they don't have filters.

Any chips that get caught on the plug are chips that don't get caught in the gears.

Crude but works....

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back