M1 Truck & SUV ok for 2001 Powerstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome.gif

First of all welcome to the site and congrats on your new purchase.

The Mobil I T&S is rated CI/SL and will work super in your truck. It is one of the best synthetics on the market. It is the same as the Delvac I. The only person that will tell you it is not the same oil is someone trying to sell you another brand.

This oil will certainly go longer than 3K miles. But if you are going to change every time at 3K may I suggest that you look at Mobil Delvac 1300S, Delo 400 or Shell Rotella T. I do respect you for changing oil at 3K miles under the circumstances of short trips etc. But I can assure you that you will receive the same benefit from the oils I mentioned at those change rates.

smile.gif

Dave,

Also when you change oil, don't forget, only add 13 quarts including the pre-fill of the Full-Flow. Start the truck and run for a couple minutes. Then shut it down and wait 10 minutes and check your oil level. This is only a 15 quart system and about 1-2 quarts remain in the HPOP that does not get changed. So you should have a couple quarts for make-up oil left.

cheers.gif

Thanks 59vetteman. Your response was very helpful. I changed the oil this morning and I put in 13qts to start and it still registered a little low so I added another half qt. I think I will stick with the M1 T&S as long as it is readily available at walmart. Truck seems to idle a lot more quiet with this oil also. Im sure I could get away with Delo or Delvac 1300 at every 3,000 miles but it makes me feel better to run the good stuff. Maybe the expensive oil changes will pay off in the long run.

Thanks again,
Dave

Dave,
Three or four oil analyses will tell you exactly how long your oil remains good. You'll also learn other things about what's happening inside the engine. You'll save money with the analyses and running the oil longer while you know it is good. Blackstone Labs does a very good analysis, and Terry Dyson is tops for interpreting the lab results and telling what's happening inside the engine.
http://bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html

I think that Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is slightly different from Mobil Delvac 1, but both are rated CI-4 and both are excellent for your truck.

Ken

I recently purchased an 01 F350 powerstroke and I thought I had done enough reading here to decide that M1 T&S was ok for this engine. Now that its just about ready to change I purchased 16qts from walmart. I came home to read a little more about it and now I am a little confused. Some say T&S is the same as Delvac 1, some say it isnt. I just want to make sure its a good oil for this truck. I dont know whether I should return this oil and pick up something else or just run it.

-I drive this truck about 500 miles per month give or take a little.
-I sometimes make short trips (less than 2 miles). I do let the engine warm up well before driving.
-The temperature in winter can get as low as 30 deg. but most often is around 40+.
-I plan on 3,000 Changes since I am a little worried that the short trips may cause fuel dilution of the oil.
-I am using a WIX filter.

Please let me know what you guys think. This is my first diesel and I want to take care of it.

Thanks
Dave

Syn. oil is a total waste of money at 3,000 mile oil changes, no advantages unless you are in below 10f climate . The Chevron Delo is a great oil . Don't idle your engine to warm it up,let the oil pressure build up then drive easy.

Dave. Congrats on the purchase. D-1 is great oil. I concur with others here. If you are going to spend 4-5$ per quart for oil, you owe yourself an analysis at the least, and you should consider Terry Dyson's professional services. The D-1 should run much, much longer than 3K in your 7.3 if it is running properly. Heck, our fleet of 7.3 utility trucks do just fine; more than fine, with 5K on just about any HDEO. Right now we buy Union 76. Analyses I see from my neighbors 99 7.3 with Delo at 5K intervals are terrific. The benefit from using syn or excellent semi-syn like Schaeffer's Series 7000 is you can safely and cost effectively run longer intervals. Don't sell it short. BTW, I live in Fresno, so my climate is almost like Marysville. You don't work for Caltrans do you?

Darren

Edits = spelling etc.

I almost agree with everything listed above. I would never have anything bad to say about Mobil, as some of the older members know my dad worked for Mobil for 40 years and they put me through college. No one was harder on a 56 Ford than me, and it never saw anything but Mobil Special 10W30.

But here is my question, and the only reason I ask it is that everyone on this board would jump all over another brand for doing this. If Mobil Truck and SUV 5W40 is the same as Delvac 1 5W40, then why is the Dalvac 1 more expensive. Are we saying that Mobil is fleecing the truckers that are using Delvac 1? For the difference in price, surley there must be some difference in the product.

I think they are both great products, but I could not honestly tell someone driving a $150,000 Peterbuilt to put Mobil Truck & SUV in his Cummins. Could you? I don't think Mobil would.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:

I think they are both great products, but I could not honestly tell someone driving a $150,000 Peterbuilt to put Mobil Truck & SUV in his Cummins. Could you? I don't think Mobil would.

I won't argue the Peterbuilt, but Mobil recommends the Mobil I Truck & SUV 5W40 for diesel powered pickup trucks and SUV's and meets diesel engine requirements of Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax and Navistar. Right off the bottle.
Also this oil is API certified CI-4/SL. Will work in any diesel engine requiring those Specifications.

cheers.gif

Hi 59 Vetteman, came through your beautiful part of the country on Friday at a high rate of speed. Sorry, did not have time to look you up. If that's what Mobil says, I will agree with them. Still would not use it in a big rig.
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif

Johnny,

You are welcome here anytime. In fact I was fishing Friday. Beautiful day and weather. The fish were deep, but nice to get out and enjoy the views of nature. Also, had a few cold ones in the refrigerator, and they are still there waiting.

cheers.gif

Been a little busy and havent had a chance to reply but im here now.

Thanks for the input guys. I dont drive the truck enough to really be concerned with the cost of the synthetic. I have a 1997 F350 company vehicle that I drive to work everyday and they use AMSOIL in it with 10k intervals. I work 6 days a week most of the year so my personal vehicles get very little use. I will look into the UOA and see how it checks out. The synthetic oil is peace of mind more than anything for me. Like all of you said, there are many dinos that would be perfectly fine, but im more comfortable with the synthetic in my engine. Even if I am wasting money.

Hev, no I dont work for caltrans. I wouldnt mind it though.

Dave

Been a bitog member for a good while, but know little about diesel. I never owned one. I just drove them in the military and the motor pool did the maintenance.

Wife just inherited a 1999 F250 with PSD. I'll probably go with the Delvac 5W-40 or Rotella 5W-40 from Wally's. I have heard that Wix changed their filter design but not the part# and you shouldn't use Wix. Is this true???

Any advice appreciated. I might use the TSUV if I find it a lot cheaper.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back