M1 EP 5w30 20,500 OCI, Toyota 2TR-FE Fram Ultra W/TBN

This is the most recent UOA of my 2019 Tacoma with a 2.7. Vehicle is lifted and running 33 inch load range E tires. This run saw temps in the 80s down to roughly -20F. Plenty of idling to warm up in the mornings and a fair amount of spirited off road use. Truck runs high RPMS...32-3500 RPM on the interstate due to the tires and a mild tune with lots of WOT runs off road.

Filter is a Fram Ultra...makeup oil for the run was 1 qt of the same oil. Previous runs were 0w40 M1fs.

Blackstone comments are funny. Good thing im not an idiot and check my coolant and oil levels at every fill up. My guess...this would be good to 25k no problem...but that would just be silly ;)

Thoughts from the intelligent and haters welcome

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.58.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.58.59 PM.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 791
The reason they mentioned coolant leaks is because the glycol causes acid formation that will lower TBN (total base number) more quickly than normal. Coolant contamination does not play well with long drain intervals.

They could have just as easily mentioned the effects of squirrels getting into the oil pan.

The vehicle doesn't have a coolant leak...isnt known for coolant leaks, and nothing was mentioned regarding coolant leaks in my submission. Pointless on their part.

Bottom line...oil held up...engine is wearing well despite the hard use it sees. At least thats how i read it.

Admirable wear rates for sure.
No contamination to speak of.
Keep those long OCIs rolling!
Are you going to extend a bit further? Perhaps 22.5K?

No 20k is far enough for me. It’s an easy number to remember and i have a good saftey margin left in case I can’t change the oil due to injury or I’m in vacation etc.

From what I can tell this oil could likely go 25000 miles though

How cold does it get over there?
I like EP 10W-30

Edit:
Nevermind, saw the -20F
Stick with 5 or 0

Curious, is it advisable to do extended oci with DI or in this case Port/DI due to potential fuel dilution and soot?

Last edited:
No 20k is far enough for me. It’s an easy number to remember and i have a good saftey margin left in case I can’t change the oil due to injury or I’m in vacation etc.

From what I can tell this oil could likely go 25000 miles though

Oh come on. P-P-Push it real good. 20k is still teenager level. Go big or go home. 25k is an even easier number to remember. Lol. 😁😄

It gets -15 to -25 without the wind chill every winter. Coldest I’ve ever seen it was -41 but that was a couple years ago.

Typical lows are below zero with single digit highs this time of year. 10-30 would likely be fine…5-30 is about perfect

This is the most recent UOA of my 2019 Tacoma with a 2.7. Vehicle is lifted and running 33 inch load range E tires. This run saw temps in the 80s down to roughly -20F. Plenty of idling to warm up in the mornings and a fair amount of spirited off road use. Truck runs high RPMS...32-3500 RPM on the interstate due to the tires and a mild tune with lots of WOT runs off road.

Filter is a Fram Ultra...makeup oil for the run was 1 qt of the same oil. Previous runs were 0w40 M1fs.

Blackstone comments are funny. Good thing im not an idiot and check my coolant and oil levels at every fill up. My guess...this would be good to 25k no problem...but that would just be silly ;)

Thoughts from the intelligent and haters welcome
You are driving 32,000 miles/year, far more than average. If you drive a lot of highway and very few cold starts for short drives, maybe this oil report is typical. I'd be interested to know more.

Example: Cold start to get groceries 1 mile away in the city, is much harder on the engine and oil than driving 30 miles to a town for shopping and returning.

Nice looking report. Blackstone's comments seem reasonable but I wouldn't extend the OCI further.

My hats off to you sir! I pushed 22K OCI with my departed 2009 Ford Focus but changed on averge at 17K. I look up to a guy who does his own research and puts his own engines on the line to prove their point. I may try that oil after my next change.

Back