M1 0W40 vs GC 0W30 vs PU 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
These three seem to be the top dogs for Euro Formulas here in NA

For your vehicle, which one and why?

Does one really stand out above the others?

I buy whichever I can get on sale. The latest sale results are in my sig.
smile.gif

I'm with Pete. Currently I have a stash for two oil changes on the Jetta. 7 quarts of M1 0w40 and 7 of GC. TRuth be told, I like the way the car sounds/runs on GC, but I do like the higher TBN of the M1.

I'm a bit sale driven. I'm actually thinking of ordering some Amsoil soon, as I have not used it in the Jetta.

To me, both M1 and GC are GREAT oils. I also use both in my lawnmower. Call me crazy, but they work well and the price is not an issue because of the small amount used.

Use either with confidence and heck, why not have a stash of both?
smile.gif

M1. No hesitation.

Constantly being improved, super-high VI, good HTHS value, API SN, readily available.

Hey Try this out I posted this in another thread earlier but
here is how to get Pennzoil ultra in ontario.

lubesource.ca/contact

Any contacts on lube source can look up this Part #550025270
I know kenworth hamilton was even willing to get it in for me.

Easiest way would be

If you call a carquest which can be found carquest.ca under there locations tab in your area. You can ask them to look up the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 Canadian Part #550025270. I know they can get it because I got it through them.

Napa Canada also carries it but they ask an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
If I was recommending for a newer vehicle under warranty, those three would be top choices - beyond warranty I seem to lean towards recommending HDEO like RotellaT6. Not sure I have a real solid reason for doing so, but after watching BITOG for a couple years that's where I'm at.
wink.gif

I just changed the factory fill (Castrol 5W-40) on my 2011 VW GTI to GC.
PU is really not available as far as I'm concerned and really not sure it brings anything new to the table.

I know a lot of people like M1 0W-40 but for some reason, probably not rational I know, I don't feel comfortable with M1 in this engine but I think that's likely what I will try for my next oil change.

What I am really wondering is whether to try Motul X-lite 0W-30 which should be great. It's much more expensive but with only one oil change a year (I'm only driving
But at least one can find M1 and GC readily at Cdn Tire.

GC seems to be a fairly obsolete oil that still meets the specs.
It has been shown to hold up well in UOAs, even though it looks as though Castrol forgot half the additive package when they blended it.
I've used it and liked it.
M1 0W-40 is probably the best M1 formula, meets the specs and seems to hold up well in service.
The PU is so unobtainable as to be outside of consideration, although I have no doubt that it would hold up at least as well as the M1 or GC in service.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
GC seems to be a fairly obsolete oil that still meets the specs.

Haha... that's because the specs it was designed for are also fairly old. I mean, BMW LL01 spec is now 10 years old. Not sure how old the MB 229.5 spec is...

Quote:

The PU is so unobtainable as to be outside of consideration, although I have no doubt that it would hold up at least as well as the M1 or GC in service.

Amazon sells it with free shipping. Also, local Pennzoil distributors sell it. If you have one close by, that would be another option. Mine actually sells it cheaper than Amazon, but I don't feel like driving 30 miles to get it when M1 0w-40 can be found just around the corner.

Touche on the GC specs.
WRT PU, if I can't find it on the shelf somewhere at a decent oil change special or discounted price, as I can with either GC or M1 0W-40, it really doesn't merit consideration.
Why pay more for an oil that meets the same specs?

GC does well in a lot of older cars, its not as thick as M1 0W-40, and i do wonder if they will ever "update it to SN," discontinue it (?,) or just leave it as it is.

GC, i have asked myself many times where it would be ideal. And the answers i come up with are:

1. Cars with a carb. The thick 30 can stand up well to fuel dilution, still be within the grade, and still keep its 0W goodness.
2. Cars that like a 40 or 50 weight oil can do good on GC.
3. Cars that you are on the fence about putting a synthetic in when it has had conventional oil its life.
4. Older cars.
5. European cars, again, those that would normally like a 40-weight. Unless you are like HTSS_RR and put the xW-20 in your E430 and it does well.

Really i can think of it going in almost anything but a Japanese car, and even then, if it is a performance model or a turbo, then yeah.

Wait until it is on sale at Autozone, then max out the sale. Otherwise it costs a bit much.

That was my initial response in this thread.

The reason I bought a case of PU off Amazon was because Pennzoil was offering (and still is) a $25 off mail-in rebate on it, making it effectively less expensive than even M1 or GC on sale.

Originally Posted By: dparm
M1. No hesitation.

Constantly being improved, super-high VI, good HTHS value, API SN, readily available.

+1

Add to that, used in endurance racing.

It is the only readily available oil that meets the highest specs (Porsche A40 and MB 229.5 AMG). GC used to also many years ago but has since gone to an inferior formulation and been dropped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That was my initial response in this thread.

The reason I bought a case of PU off Amazon was because Pennzoil was offering (and still is) a $25 off mail-in rebate on it, making it effectively less expensive than even M1 or GC on sale.

Hmm,
Good point.
How much was this stuff on Amazon?

Originally Posted By: Tomcio
Hey Try this out I posted this in another thread earlier but
here is how to get Pennzoil ultra in ontario.

lubesource.ca/contact

Any contacts on lube source can look up this Part #550025270
I know kenworth hamilton was even willing to get it in for me.

Easiest way would be

If you call a carquest which can be found carquest.ca under there locations tab in your area. You can ask them to look up the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 Canadian Part #550025270. I know they can get it because I got it through them.

Napa Canada also carries it but they ask an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the tip! I have had a hard time trying to find PU 5W-40 to give it a try in my Jetta 2.0T

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
GC has low oil loss, have not tried the other 2.

Agree...in my Jetta 2.0T with 3500kms on this GC Oil Interval it has not consumed any
grin.gif
. With the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 I had to add oil by now
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Originally Posted By: dparm
M1. No hesitation.

+1

Add to that, used in endurance racing.

It is the only readily available oil that meets the highest specs (Porsche A40 and MB 229.5 AMG). GC used to also many years ago but has since gone to an inferior formulation and been dropped.

The same can be said about PU 5W40....they use it right out of the bottle in Indy cars http://www.pennzoil.com/#/interview-sweepstakes/interview-helio

But why does Pennzoil make it so hard to get
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back