M1 0w-40, 4,806 mi, 02 Mercedes E320 165k

Status
Not open for further replies.
mboil001001.jpg

I have owned the car for the last 20k miles and have only used Mobil 1 0w-40. I do 5k oci. Should I be concerned about the Copper and Sodium?

The copper isnt that big a deal.

I would check on the sodium though.. usually thats antifreeze since you werent using an oil that has sodium as an additive

.. and your car is 10 years old.

Love the M1 0W40...great results in my Volvo (T5 is a high-pressure turbo)...and capable of far more than the factory OCI of 7500...

M1 0W40 should be able to go the distance up to 13-15k miles for mostly highway drives. Looks like you change the oil when FSS went down from 10,000 miles to 6,000 miles.

I changed the oil in my E430 when FSS went down to 500-1000 miles.

You have a coolant leak. It isn't much but I would get it looked at if you plan to keep the vehicle for a while longer. Thanks for posting, great oil in a great car. Just watch that coolant!

-Update-

I had the cooling system pressure tested and they could not find a leak. Not sure what the sodium could be, but as of now I do not think there is a leak. I'm going to send my next sample out in 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Mercedes use a small amount of coolant during an OCI. Not as bad as BMW which can be 1.5 quarts of coolant over 15k.

??????

Can you explain what you mean here? Ours use none, and this is the first I've ever heard somebody say this.

Almost every BMW that I have ever serviced has needed coolant. Ok lets say about 75% It is routine to add a least a pint per oil change, some people who really push the OCIs past a year but under 15k really need alot. Mercedes I would see at the min line on occasion, usually cars that we had serviced previously would come back to us the next time, so wed know the vehicle better. Theyd always leave at Max. We still go through more BMW blue for topoff than anything else at our shop.

Almost every BMW that I have ever serviced has needed coolant. Ok lets say about 75% It is routine to add a least a pint per oil change, some people who really push the OCIs past a year but under 15k really need alot. Mercedes I would see at the min line on occasion, usually cars that we had serviced previously would come back to us the next time, so wed know the vehicle better. Theyd always leave at Max. We still go through more BMW blue for topoff than anything else at our shop.

Well, this is not something I've ever heard of, nor experienced with my car, or heard from other M5 owners.

Any model in particular?

Umm what? Don't agree at all. 1 pint per oil change on average is just silliness.

Ive seen it mostly with models mid 90s and up. I mean, agree with me or not, Ive been a technician for 10 years, BMW for 3 and a master tech in 2009 when I was still at the dealer. Mercedes from 2002-2006. Its something common I see, maybe yours doesnt do it, but keep in mind Ive probably done at least 1000 oil changes in my life so far minimum. 100/year isnt that many. Try it out though. Check it in the morning one day, dead cold, top off to the correct level and watch the level over 15k or so. Most will use coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back