Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Question: What in oil is this third party additive supposed to stabilize?

Good question. I'm at a LOS for words
crazy2.gif

The argument about LOS diluting the sump's total additive quantity makes sense.

But there's something in LOS that acts as a delivery agent for the regular oil. That little gear gizmo in the stores is kind of neat. You can turn the gears very slowly and instantly see the oil moving around the gears on the LOS side because the oil was already there waiting to be used. The non-LOS oil does not do this, you must crank very quickly to get the oil even near the top gear.

I'm using the LOS synthetic version right now along with 2 ounces of Tufoil. This delivery agent seems to help deliver the Tufoil throughout the engine. Without LOS, the Tufoil seems to lose it's amazing lubricating power because I think it's not moving around the engine like it should. It's so freaking slick that I think the impeller in the oil pump is unable to push the oil around, which is why testing shows that oil pressure sometimes drops slightly after installing Tufoil and other PTFE products. But after installing LOS, I think the Tufoil is able to be distributed properly because the LOS is able to hang on to it. I'm just theorizing here, I know you all say that all additives are garbage, except for ARX.

I'm running Lucas 5W20 syn oil right now, and I think it's not as good an oil as GC. It was very cheap, but next oil change I'm switching back to GC. GC, LOS and Tufoil is my favorite combination so far. My Volvo XC70 runs like a striped ape right now, though it did run better with GC.

You do NOT want all that oil climbing up into your engine and clinging to parts, creating drag. There's a reason engines have an oil pump

Additives like this might help in a manual transmission or differential, but not an engine.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
You do NOT want all that oil climbing up into your engine and clinging to parts, creating drag. There's a reason engines have an oil pump

Additives like this might help in a manual transmission or differential, but not an engine.

So I should not use LOS because you say oil should not be up in the top of the engine because my engine has an oil pump, and that I should not want my car to run like a striped ape?

Sounds like excellent logic.

My brother's old minivan was running like [censored], and made lots of noise from the valvetrain. I opened the oil fill cap and looked inside the top of the head. There were very many parts covered in dark varnish and were also dry to the touch, no oil wetting at all. I reached in with my finger and touched parts after the engine had been shut off after being on line for a while.

I installed GC, LOS syn and a bottle of ARX. I then drove the van about one mile and rechecked the valvetrain. All parts were oil-wetted and the racket had subsided. I thought this was a good thing. I guess you think this thorough oil-wetting and quieting of the valvetrain is a bad thing?

No, he is saying the oil pump will pump the oil to where it needs to be.
You changed so many things on your oil change to his van it is impossible to say which "fixed" it... Did it even have syn before?

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
No, he is saying the oil pump will pump the oil to where it needs to be.
You changed so many things on your oil change to his van it is impossible to say which "fixed" it... Did it even have syn before?

Nope. But I'm sure switching to syn will not have made such a drastic difference so quickly.

Wait a second......

I've got the details mixed up. I didn't change my brother's oil. He had it changed a few days prior with el cheapo oil from the quick lube. So I extracted a little more than a quart and re-filled with a quart of LOS and ARX.

I've worked on so many family member's cars recently that I mixed them up.

Quote:
But there's something in LOS that acts as a delivery agent for the regular oil. That little gear gizmo in the stores is kind of neat. You can turn the gears very slowly and instantly see the oil moving around the gears on the LOS side because the oil was already there waiting to be used. The non-LOS oil does not do this, you must crank very quickly to get the oil even near the top gear.

As Bruce stated, this is nothing more than an oil thickener with a very, very low level (dose) of a conventional MO additive. Very similar to the old STP blue bottle.

Not sure what you mean by delivery agent, but suspect you are referring to the general term for "surfactants" which are in most MO's.

I do not believe that LOS is anything more than an olefin co-polymer with a tackifier. I would not even use it as an assembler lube since it does not have enough AW additives.

And BTW, thanks for your service to this country.
thumbsup2.gif

I am not a fan of the Lucas products personally in cars that are functioning properly. I do not see why you would want to dilute the additives on your oil and substitute them with something that is thickening your oil as much as the LOS does. It is usually best to stay with the proper recommended viscosity of oil suggested by the manufacturer. Sometimes it may be beneficial to go up a bit in thickness for towing or real severe duty as many members have discussed here in many posts. But why you would want to thicken your oil THAT much is beyond me. I will say that I have used the LOS successfully in quite a few vehicles. They were on their last leg and this stuff did an amazing job quieting certain noises and hiding flaws. Used it in differentials that did go completely quiet as well as a Nissan Maxima 3.5 that burned just about its entire sump of oil in a day if driven enough. It did a good job slowing down the oil burning but this was a motor that was basically shot and should not have even been used anymore. Basically to cover up junk cars that were being sold to people who could not afford anything better. Some people swear by this stuff but I feel the VOA proves that it really does not offer anything other than a way to seriously thicken up your oil while lowering the overall quality and usability of it.

Are we allowed to laugh at stuff like this, or is that considered impolite? What is the fascination people have with putting snake oil additives into their motor oil that are actually inferior to the oil itself? I don't get it.

It's marketing was the best thing it had. It does work great on door hinges and applications where non detergent oil is needed. I used it to lightly coat my hockey skate blades to protect from rust and I still have .900ml out of .946ml left in 4 years.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
I am not a fan of the Lucas products personally in cars that are functioning properly. I do not see why you would want to dilute the additives on your oil and substitute them with something that is thickening your oil as much as the LOS does. It is usually best to stay with the proper recommended viscosity of oil suggested by the manufacturer. Sometimes it may be beneficial to go up a bit in thickness for towing or real severe duty as many members have discussed here in many posts. But why you would want to thicken your oil THAT much is beyond me. I will say that I have used the LOS successfully in quite a few vehicles. They were on their last leg and this stuff did an amazing job quieting certain noises and hiding flaws. Used it in differentials that did go completely quiet as well as a Nissan Maxima 3.5 that burned just about its entire sump of oil in a day if driven enough. It did a good job slowing down the oil burning but this was a motor that was basically shot and should not have even been used anymore. Basically to cover up junk cars that were being sold to people who could not afford anything better. Some people swear by this stuff but I feel the VOA proves that it really does not offer anything other than a way to seriously thicken up your oil while lowering the overall quality and usability of it.

You're criticism reads more like a testimonial. They don't put any additives in it so it will be compatible with anything. As you thicken an oil you inherently need less additives. There are plenty guys here that will explain the virtues of thicker oil film.

Do you know how many ka-billion cans of STP, Lucas and others went into cars over the past 40 years?

No, Don't put it in a good engine. The whole forte is to help an oil burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back