Lucas Oil Stabilizer helping

My daughter’s 2002 Blazer, 4.3 V6, was using about one quart of oil per week. No smoke, no leaks. Changed the oil. 3.5 quarts and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. 10 days in and no significant loss of oil.

My 91 Chevrolet K1500, 4.3 V6, was smoking like crazy and using oil due to bad valve guides. Changed oil, substituted one quart of LOS. It was smoking both on start up and while running. Now, just on startup and significantly less. 10 days in and no sign of oil consumption.

Will continue to monitor and update.
Thanks for sharing....glad it worked for you.

I did go ahead and add the LubriMoly Motor Oil Saver. Figured I will run until time to change then go to 10W/40 or 20W/50

This.

Use Mobil 1 HM or Valvoline Maxlife to start. If there is still consumption, step up a grade. Lucas is just insanely heavy brightstock, red dye, tackifier and ultra cheap VII plastic.
Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t.

My 91 318i didn’t smoke, didn’t leak, but it consumed oil. M1HM, maxlife, 20w-50 conventional, nothing helped. That restore stuff did help slow consumption in mine. Sure, restore and Lucas aren’t the same, but both would be considered by some to be snake oils, and both would have many questioning their use given lack of standards adherence and society defined tests, but sometimes in a pinch stuff like this works over the “right way”.

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t.

My 91 318i didn’t smoke, didn’t leak, but it consumed oil. M1HM, maxlife, 20w-50 conventional, nothing helped. That restore stuff did help slow consumption in mine. Sure, restore and Lucas aren’t the same, but both would be considered by some to be snake oils, and both would have many questioning their use given lack of standards adherence and society defined tests, but sometimes in a pinch stuff like this works over the “right way”.
Restore uses soft metals to temporarily fill scratches/scores, which can indeed reduce consumption if you have scored bores and want to get some more miles out of it. Lucas is just heavy Group I bright stock with a ton of VII in it and some tackifier; it's just more viscosity, it doesn't do anything "fancy" like Restore does ;) Ergo, Lucas is a scam, Restore is more of a "hail Mary" pass, it does something, but it's not something you want to be doing long-term because those metals go other places.

Restore uses soft metals to temporarily fill scratches/scores, which can indeed reduce consumption if you have scored bores and want to get some more miles out of it. Lucas is just heavy Group I bright stock with a ton of VII in it and some tackifier; it's just more viscosity, it doesn't do anything "fancy" like Restore does ;) Ergo, Lucas is a scam, Restore is more of a "hail Mary" pass, it does something, but it's not something you want to be doing long-term because those metals go other places.
Ehhh. Tomato - tomahto…

“Plastic” filling voids and limiting oil migration versus very low content soft metals are just two ways to skin a cat. Note I didn’t comment on the value proposition of either. Both are trying to do the same sort of thing by different means. On the matter of Lucas being two cents worth of junk in a hugely marked up bottle, I’d agree. I guess that’s how they pay for football stadiums. But they’re all just variations on a theme and sometimes may have some chance of working, despite not being the “right” way of doing anything.

I’d also agree that they’re all a Hail Mary type approach. Neither are the right way to operate, and pushing to routinely use Lucas is downright silly.

Ehhh. Tomato - tomahto…

“Plastic” filling voids and limiting oil migration versus very low content soft metals are just two ways to skin a cat. Note I didn’t comment on the value proposition of either. Both are trying to do the same sort of thing by different means. On the matter of Lucas being two cents worth of junk in a hugely marked up bottle, I’d agree. I guess that’s how they pay for football stadiums. But they’re all just variations on a theme and sometimes may have some chance of working, despite not being the “right” way of doing anything.

I’d also agree that they’re all a Hail Mary type approach. Neither are the right way to operate, and pushing to routinely use Lucas is downright silly.
It's Lucas's marketing and claims about the product that drive me right up the wall. The dishonesty is disturbing.

Guess the point I was trying to make was that since Lucas is just a big 'ol viscosity increase, you could get the same effect with some super heavy straight weight oil. You can't do that with Restore because its operating mechanism is different, even though it's not something you'd want to be doing long-term.

Restore marketing is also nowhere near as bad.

Per the bold and underlined bit, that's exactly what Lucas does, they want you to use this garbage right out of the gate, in a new engine, in a fully formulated oil, and that's not only silly, it's dangerous, and their claims on what it does are disingenuous.

Per the bold and underlined bit, that's exactly what Lucas does, they want you to use this garbage right out of the gate, in a new engine, in a fully formulated oil, and that's not only silly, it's dangerous, and their claims on what it does are disingenuous.
That's what always bothered me.

Ironic that on the bottle it states " Oil Alone Is Not Enough! " Yet the product is just plain heavy oil with no additives!

UPDATE: Changed oil with Quaker State 10W/40 and a can of Justice Bros. Oil Treatment. Oil was down one quart since 5-24-22. Will see how this works.

UPDATE: The 91 Chevrolet got an oil change using QS 10w/40 and Justice Bros Oil Treatment on Aug 27th. I average about 125 miles per week. Only down about a half quart. Big improvement.

Back