Lowe's to sell Craftsman tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kburns
Apparently, most are not aware that Sears has sold the Craftsman trademark to Stanley Black & Decker. SBD has stated that production will return to the USA, but their manufacturing facility will not be completed until 2020. Also, Sears will continue to sell products under the Craftsman trademark, so its going to be a little confusing. The Craftsman tools sold in Lowe's will be SBD Craftsman, not Sears. For a while SBD Craftsman tools will still be manufactured by the present suppliers, but eventually will be manufactured by SBD or whoever they elect to contract with. Warranty will definitely be confusing.

Glad to hear that.

Stock ticker is SWK by the way
smile.gif

Yeah … daughter got me a little set at Christmas … asked her if Sears … nope, Amazon …
(I re gifted anyway ~ didn’t need any tools) …

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Stopped buying Craftsman when they sent them to China. If I'm paying top dollar for hand tools they better be made in the USA. I can get same as or better quality with lifetime warranties from Harbor Freight for offshore tools.

I couldnt agree more. A lot of us are left holding the bag. Im not a SO fanboy, (and similar) way overpriced for what they are, so now theres fewer and fewer, reasonably priced solid quality tools. If i cant get good stuff, then ill just use HF stuff and if & when it breaks get it replaced.
I just looked at a 3/8" socket set, Kobalt & 27' HF $13. Same sockets rounded points and convex flats for the best design, so... Which would you buy? To my knowledge Craftsman doesnt even have these features and costs even more!

Last edited:
Craftsman sales dropped because of China and Harbor Freight exists because of China …

Apparently, most are not aware that Sears has sold the Craftsman trademark to Stanley Black & Decker. SBD has stated that production will return to the USA, but their manufacturing facility will not be completed until 2020. Also, Sears will continue to sell products under the Craftsman trademark, so its going to be a little confusing. The Craftsman tools sold in Lowe's will be SBD Craftsman, not Sears. For a while SBD Craftsman tools will still be manufactured by the present suppliers, but eventually will be manufactured by SBD or whoever they elect to contract with. Warranty will definitely be confusing.

So will Lowes honor the lifetime warranty? Even on "china" Craftsman tools? and what *is* a Craftsman? Tools from Lowes? from China, USA? who knows!

Last edited:
I have no issues with Kobalt, but I'll buy my stuff at HF before Lowe's since they are the same quality.

Also, I've read some Lowe's warranty exchange horror stories with Kobalt. Obviously YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

So will Lowes honor the lifetime warranty? Even on "china" Craftsman tools? and what *is* a Craftsman? Tools from Lowes? from China, USA? who knows!

I broke a US made 15mm deep well that had my name laser etched on it. No idea what'd they'd replace it with, but probably a much larger diameter'd Chicom 15mm with cheap chrome. I'll keep it for that..

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Stopped buying Craftsman when they sent them to China. If I'm paying top dollar for hand tools they better be made in the USA. I can get same as or better quality with lifetime warranties from Harbor Freight for offshore tools.

Ha... Sears never charged "top dollar" for Craftsman hand tools, nor would they have gotten this far by doing so.

SDB is promising us US Craftsman tools made with Global materials, and the old warranty will be honored. However that all plays out, that's what they're saying.

Lots of unknowns.

Stanley B&D has said they will be making craftsman in the USA. But that would be contrary to what they’ve done with many other formerly USA brands.

Secondly, made in the USA does not necessarily mean a quality product anymore. It will require someone to declare that they are willing to specify a quality product and then to decide that they will offer it at a competitive price. That’s hard to do if you have shareholders that are expecting a cut of the profits.

Third, time will tell if they will stand true to craftsman’s legendary “satisfaction” guarantee? Especially when all the rusty old flea market returns come in .... Or will they be applying the usual “lifetime warranty”, which can have a variable meaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire

Ha... Sears never charged "top dollar" for Craftsman hand tools, nor would they have gotten this far by doing so.

That's true, they were never priced like Snap On but they were not cheap either. In 1975 I bought a 200pc set for $199, that is like $900 today. The same set today is still $199 but there is no comparison in quality between the two sets.
The 1975 set were real tools made of high quality tool steel by Easco, Armstrong, SK, etc the new one is inferior in every way.
The real difference back then between Craftsman and the majors was finish, fit and strength were on par, they were perfectly usable and affordable tools for a young starting out mechanic.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I remember the good old days when Craftsman was only sold at Sears. It made the tools a little bit special.

Yes , when I worked maintenance , I purchased quite a few Craftsman tools . Except for those I have lost or loaned out & were never returned , I still have my " old time " Craftsman tools .

Sears also sold " Sears " tools that were made off shore .

At my age , most of the tools I buy are HF specialty tools . Often for a 1 time project . If it lasts that long , I am OK & they will probably last as long as I am able to be turning wrenches .

Actually , some of the HF stuff is not bad . I think the quality on some of them has inproved over the years .

Best of luck to you all , :)

All of my Craftsman tools are US made . . . first set started in 1970, and built up until around 79 when I had everything I needed. The new '[censored]' stuff is just sheer junk. Chichrome looks shiny but for all I know, it's pot metal under it.

Will be glad if Craftsman/Black & Decker (whoever) makes them again in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back