Lower Tier Interstate batteries @ Costco?

Everstart Maxx are nice batteries but no way are they within $1 of the Interstates at Costco. The walmart 24F is $107.45. The Costco 24F is $89.99. Costco also carries the 51R battery, it is $76.99. I was just there today. The Sam’s Club Duracell 24F with the $20 off sale is $82 and it is an East Penn.

Everstart Maxx are nice batteries but no way are they within $1 of the Interstates at Costco. The walmart 24F is $107.45. The Costco 24F is $89.99. Costco also carries the 51R battery, it is $76.99. I was just there today. The Sam’s Club Duracell 24F with the $20 off sale is $82 and it is an East Penn.

maybe it depends on location and the competition ...

I bought a 124R about 8 months ago at Wal-Mart and it was iirc $98 or so and was same price as Costco maybe a $1 more. My previous battery (different car same battery) was from Costco when they had 42 months warranty . I went to get another one and noticed the 36 months warranty and didn't buy it. Happened to be at Wal-Mart and saw theirs had 60 months warranty and exact same CCA, etc. for the same price and much longer warranty. Last 24 months is prorated though.

All batteries and their prices at local Costco today
B1FDA767-61DC-42F3-8626-E5F709118316.jpeg

Let me correct myself the Walmart 24F Is $98.76
EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 24F (12 Volt/750 CCA)
$98.76$98.76

I have bought 3 car batteries for 3 different cars in the last 18 months...I always check Costco, Walmart and I checked Menard's as they were carrying AC Delco batteries...

I found that here in ChicagoLand the Costco Interstate and the Walmart EverStart Maxx had the same manufacturer listed on their label, had the same warranty listed and were less than $1 between them...I replaced the Interstate in my F150 (purchased by previous truck owner at Firestone) with a Walmart EverStart Maxx from Walmart and it was about $8 less at Walmart...same manufacturer and same warranty...

for me it came down to price and in the case of the F150, it was Walmart...good luck with your choice

YMMV

Bill

I know for a fact to never purchase watches from costco. Many are gray market and aren't supported nor repaired. Maybe the batteries are a similar story?

the batteries I've seen at Walmart have the manufacturer name right on them (and they may vary depending on your location)...made in USA unless stated otherwise so gray market is unlikely...good luck with your choice

Bill

I had a interstate(not costco)last just over a year on my rv. I bought it used so had to buy a new battery. My walmart series 24 is now 2 years old. I may give interstate another chance, this time in my truck

Interstate use to market batteries made by JCI. But I do not think that is true anymore. I think some are Exide.

I agree with others that Costco is not selling the bottom of the barrel Interstate batteries. But Interstate could make a model specific to Costco and that could be made to certain specs for a price point. But if the model numbers are the same then the battery is the same Costco or an Interstate battery dealer.

they don't sell batteries by JCI because JCI sold the business to Clarios...shop warranty, Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity...I think you'll be just fine with your choice when you are an informed consumer...good luck with your choice

Bill

picked up a 35N Costco Interstate for sis' 2006 Corolla Sunday morning...it was $20 but less than the same battery from Walmart (Everstart Maxx) and much cheaper than similar CCA/RC/CA batteries from Advance etcetera even with their discount codes applied...

as I mentioned before...I shop CCA/RC/CA and warranties...manufacturer then price

Bill

If you paid $20 for a battery... Then was it blemished ?? Nothing really wrong with that. As long as the case is strong and intact.

^ Pretty sure silversport meant $20 cheaper not $20 total.

All batteries and their prices at local Costco today

Picture resolution is a little on the low side, but looks like a group 65 is a buck more expensive at Costco, which wouldn't make me drive out of my way but Costco's warranty is now shorter too, and Walmart is open 24/7 here.

There are some group #'s of Walmart ES Maxx batteries that have higher price than their size should dictate, and I don't mean especially rare ones either, including some sizes that popular vehicles use. For example group 59, 590CCA at $120, so it depends on what group # you need:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ttery-Groups-Size-59-12-Volt-590-CCA/28275661

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there will be battery shortages this winter especially with the number of people not driving that often and not doing periodic charging/trickle charging not their batteries.

The battery on the Caravan is 5 years old, I've been charging it every second week since April.

^ Pretty sure silversport meant $20 cheaper not $20 total.

Picture resolution is a little on the low side, but looks like a group 65 is a buck more expensive at Costco, which wouldn't make me drive out of my way but Costco's warranty is now shorter too, and Walmart is open 24/7 here.

There are some group #'s of Walmart ES Maxx batteries that have higher price than their size should dictate, and I don't mean especially rare ones either, including some sizes that popular vehicles use. For example group 59, 590CCA at $120, so it depends on what group # you need:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ttery-Groups-Size-59-12-Volt-590-CCA/28275661

Yeah... I tend to agree....

I also used if.... " if you paid".

I paid $20 less for the same battery made at the same factory...the Costco Interstate marked battery was $78 and change and the Walmart Everstart Maxx was $98 and change...same CCA/CA/RC and warranty

one reason I shop Costco/Walmart/Menards (and others but they are always much higher even with coupons/rebates) is as you found...bought an Everstart Maxx for the F150 that was about $8 less at Walmart than the same battery from Costco Interstate...in that case I bought the Walmart Everstart Maxx

for Family and my cars I've replaced 5 batteries in the last 12 months on different cars...all of these were flooded lead acid batteries (no AGM) and I usually pick the highest warranty as well as highest CCA/CA/RC numbers...(as well as how easy the warranty may be to use although I've not ever had to)

Bill

Last edited:
her battery also had higher CCA/CA/RC/AH numbers than the Interstate Megatron II battery it replaced with a 5 year warranty (3 year 100% replacement)...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Lots here that I didn't know about Interstate, I thought that they were their own entity from concept to retail sale. That said, I've been going to the Interstate distributor in my area for years now, always ask for blems or refurbs. Blems always have lasted until I sell the car, the EconoPower refurbs are a dice roll though. I've had one in a car for the past 2 years, sat I started and unmaintained for a month and started right up, a different EconoPower bought the same week no such luck, died every other day. Yeah, I know, pretty useless post, unless anyone out there happens to be in a tight spot and a $35 battery (blem or refurb) sounds right. Plus a 90 day warranty on a refurb can keep you in refurbs until you find a blem lol

Back