Love the latest APPLE privacy update and why I went to MAC and iPhone last year, for this very reason.

Sheesh, definitely not worth the extra price to me to have tracker avoidance enabled by default versus just enabling it myself. How about I enable tracking prevention, would-be Apple customers give me half the cost over an Android on Microsoft product, and we both win and have more money to do flat earth experiments? 😁

News flash: owning an Apple device does not make your data more private. Turning do-not-track on by default is nice of Apple, but in the grand scheme of things, you are still being tracked! Responding to DNT requests are optional, most websites don't change their behavior when sent a DNT request.

I happen to own (and like) Iphones, but certainly not because some illusion of privacy.

I happen to own Apple products because privacy is part of the philosophy of the company and its vision.
Anyone else is kidding themselves or uninformed to deny this fact over google, android and windows. Google especially. For goodness sakes, listen to googles own words to its investors of Wallstreet, warning how Apples new privacy controls are going to affect Googles future earnings.

Anyone is kidding themselves and uninformed if they think their google, android or Windows device is working as hard as Apple to protect them from tracking and privacy. Almost laughable but sad. Google no longer has access to every subject and every webpage I visit, including BITOG
(peace)

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 6.38.03 AM.png

Last edited:
News flash: owning an Apple device does not make your data more private. Turning do-not-track on by default is nice of Apple, but in the grand scheme of things, you are still being tracked! Responding to DNT requests are optional, most websites don't change their behavior when sent a DNT request.

I happen to own (and like) Iphones, but certainly not because some illusion of privacy.
You and other posts like this are wrong but if interested I supplied the links above. You are mixing up the word "tracking" with data farming.
Data farming companies have a profile on you, your family, you kids. These packages are sold like produce in a supermarket to the highest bidders.
It doesnt necessarily mean your actual location, though it can, it means building a physiological profile on your, your family, your kids and selling that profile to companies to sell advertising on across your devices, its so extensive that the science of what will trigger you to buy that product is built into it. We are at the point, where people buy stuff they have no need for but want it and dont know why, take this a step further people acting out actions for reason they do not know ... its goes on and on ... and in Tim Cooks video on page 1 of this thread. This guy is a lot smarter then we are but some people with big heads thinks they know better. :eek:)

Apple is the only major company working to prevent data farming and trying to protect your privacy. Maybe better said the only major company who operates on the principle of privacy for its customers. Wow and its a big deal for people educated in this field, that understands what is going on.
Some care not to know and that's ok, others do care, again I supplied links, both to Tim Cooks speech on page 1 and the link above.
For those interested there is an endless supply of information on line. Others not interested, that's ok, but respect the people who wish to remain free and their right to privacy.

What some other negative comments in here regarding Apple by saying big deal they get the same thing from Firefox that is completely false.
No operating system on a smart phone looks to protect your privacy more then Apple and coming early 2012 NO APP in their stores will be allowed to collect data on you. Firefox doesnt protect you and its operating system and the apps from collecting your data. Apple is/will.

This is where some people make these well intended but inaccurate statements. Its not about just the browser, its about the whole system of apps on your phone, computers, ect. Apple is ending it all. They could and were going to end it this month and right away, what do you know, Facebook announces it will take a big earnings hit on their and smaller companies ad revenue, unable to spy on you anymore.
So Apple is giving until the beginning of 2021 for companies to adjust, lessen the impact.

(peace)

Last edited:
What some other negative comments in here regarding Apple by saying big deal they get the same thing from Firefox that is completely false.
If you're referring to me, the comment I made about Firefox was in direct response to the screenshot of Safari which you posted. Please explain how it is completely false that Firefox introduced tracker blocking before Safari did.

While Apple as a whole may be slightly more committed to protecting your privacy than others, if you believe you're safe with Apple, you are fooling yourself, IMO.

Last edited:
If you're referring to me, the comment I made about Firefox was in direct response to the screenshot of Safari which you posted. Please explain how it is completely false that Firefox introduced tracker blocking before Safari did.

While Apple as a whole may be slightly more committed to protecting your privacy than others, if you believe you're safe with Apple, you are fooling yourself, IMO.
From what I can find, Apple started blocking cross site tracking by default before Firefox and Firefox started blocking 3rd party cookies by default before Apple.

I think many in here, understand my point as far as privacy and others no clue. No operating system looks to protect their users like Apple does.
I am talking about large operating systems, MS, Android, Chrome, Apple.
Apple continues to lock things down, others follow ONLY if they feel they have to in order to hold market share.

My post started by pointing out Safari, maybe I left out the fact that the entire APPLE operating system is going to block data MINERS, aka trackers or another name that you want to call data miners who build profiles on you, your family and kids and sell that information to the highest bidder in the world..
IM not sure why all the negative comments, some of them truly ignorant. Apple, good old American company looking to protect and is protecting its users like no other.
Simple fact. ... also ... This isnt about just Safari, its about the entire Apple operating eco system. All those Apps in the Apple store, no longer able to sell your information. Yes, to the naysayers, this IS a BIG deal, huge. People in the know, will be more loyal to Apple then ever.

Beginning next year, any App on your Apple iPhone or device will not be allowed to build a database on you and your habits, NO other company has done anything like this before. Facebook and advertisers, companies large and small are going to take a big hit not being able to profit off your private information. I assume you will have the option to allow them too. These are facts, so factual that Wallstreet is calculating how much it is going to affect the earnings of these companies.

Almost 1 year and 1 week ago I took the plunge into the Apple world, after ignoring them for 20 to 25 years. Wow, Im glad I did, no more Windows, No more Chrome, no more Android. As long as they look to protect my information and stop the madness of being tracked by these other companies Im a customer and the price is definitely worth it to me and many others.

Last edited:
I run Ubuntu Linux do better than Apple for security. I'm still hoping the Ubuntu Phone, or Linux phone actually get off the ground. I can't stand the restrictions and limited environment Apple keep you in.

I run Ubuntu Linux do better than Apple for security. I'm still hoping the Ubuntu Phone, or Linux phone actually get off the ground. I can't stand the restrictions and limited environment Apple keep you in.
I mentioned Windows, Android, Chrome.
Thing is the percentage of people (consumers) using Linux in the USA less then or around 1%, 2% and zero on the phones.
I doubt it will get off the ground. I consider myself a little knowledgeable with computers, been using them for 25 years and as much as I always want to try Linux, I never got "there" With that said, to me that means the average consumer, will never.
If privacy ever becomes a concern of a majority, they will rely on a company to do it for them, todays consumers wouldn't want to waste their time on it. Heck, the majority can not even manage their cell phones as it is and have no interest in learning we are a throwaway society now. doesnt matter if its material or an operating system, to them, its what works today and let someone come up with something for tomorrow so we dont have to do it ourselves. :eek:)
I myself very well, still want to one day play around with Linux on a spare computer or two that I have, not sure if I will ever find the time too but even then, think I would trust someone more other then myself for security only because computer security is not my field.

Last edited:
I consider myself a little knowledgeable with computers, been using them for 25 years and as much as I always want to try Linux, I never got "there" With that said, to me that means the average consumer, will never.
I've been around PCs for 35 years, and while I do have one of my home PCs running Ubuntu, I must say it wasn't an easy transition.
I think Linux would gather more popularity if more new PCs came preinstalled with it. Otherwise, most people will not attempt to reinstall a new OS at a risk of messing something up, not to mention having to figure their way around an unfamiliar (to them) OS. Most folks have better things to do with their time.

Also, the more popular an OS becomes, the more attractive it'll become as a target of hackers, virus makers, and other exploiters. So in some ways, Linux is safe because it is small.

Manjaro is by far the best Linux distribution I have found for a desktop or laptop, and it is based on Debian kernel so it is rock solid. The AMD Ryzen support for it is excellent and performance is outstanding. It boots in seconds.

I've been using Linux mostly Ubuntu almost exclusively for 15 plus years. Yes until Ubuntu version 16 or so came out ( 20 is out now) i had to research ALOT of drivers and work arounds for things. Yeah i get it most people don't want to mess with learning something new. However i have got people started as I've installed linux on their laptop and they didn't look back.

You know, reading the posts above. This thought just came to me.
I look at Apple as a "preassembled" Linux.
More or less, out of all the evil "preassembled" operating systems, Apple is closest to providing the security and privacy that I want, I feel the others are just bottomless holes with the explicit purpose of data mining.
I find the idea of Linux great, just no time in my life and no tech "friends" to make sure I am doing it correctly, so I have no problem paying Apple to do it for me.
BTW - this is a complete change in my thinking over the years, after 25 years of computing I only switched to apple last year from the Windows world. I do wish, I switched a decade ago but oh well.
And just to cover myself, you very well maybe see me come in here one day or year on a Linux system, everything is about finding the time in my life but I do enjoy computers and I have some pretty darn good ones that I have retired that I think would run Linux great, so for fun, one day I just might fire one up and load it, then again, I have been thinking that for years and they are still neatly sitting on the floor waiting for me to pull all the photos off them ... *L*.

Last edited:
I've used Linux Mint and now Ubuntu Mate for eight years without incident although I've had to settle on HP printers since I'm far from an expert. Ubuntu went down the phone rabbithole for years. There's always someone working on a phone. Remember Firefox?

Also, the more popular an OS becomes, the more attractive it'll become as a target of hackers, virus makers, and other exploiters. So in some ways, Linux is safe because it is small.

That's the case for Linux desktop systems, but Linux servers are very popular and common and there are plenty of exploits against them. If you run Linux servers that are exposed to the internet you'd better keep up with security.

Back