Lost Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Having said that, Brits, especially professional men, seem to neck way more booze which can't be good for them.

THIS I find a bit surprising, since it seems that MOST in this land consider alcohol in liquid form to be an absolutely "essential nutrient" in their diets.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I'm in my mid-60s. Three or my long time friends have had serious health issues recently. All three of them (and me) are in exceptional physical condition. We're all hardcore road bicyclists and ride at least 150 miles per week. One had a serious heart attack while riding his bicycle and had to be airlifted by helicopter from out in the middle of nowhere. The other guy, another bicyclist, had a stroke while riding but foolishly continued riding 25 more miles before he got home and drove himself to the hospital. Months later, he's still having speech problems. The third had a stroke in the shower and suffered temporary blindness, but seems to have suffered no lasting effects.

Scott

The above is really scary since it cannot be attributed to cancer sticks, opioids, or obesity, but one can have very high LDL levels even with more intensive aerobic training than even the above.
(There was a VERY fit, and fast, many times national champion, masters road and track racer around here who had a MAJOR coronary during a race, and needed open heart/bypass surgery in order to survive. Turns out his diet was at fault, WAY too many saturated fats, etc.)

Usually, a low body fat level, high Max V02, high natural or training effect hematocrit value and/or good oxygenation, and low BP and resting pulse equate to very good general health.
21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I read a book about personal health here in America. One of the things it said was that when you reach age 50 half of the people who were born the same year you were born are gone. And when you reach age 60 half of the ones that were alive at 50 are gone. And when you reach age 70 half of the ones that were alive at 60 are gone.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Years ago I read a book about personal health here in America. One of the things it said was that when you reach age 50 half of the people who were born the same year you were born are gone. And when you reach age 60 half of the ones that were alive at 50 are gone. And when you reach age 70 half of the ones that were alive at 60 are gone.

Must have been a very old book. According to this social security table for 2014, those that make it to 50 had a 92% chance of making it. Those that make it to 60 had a 86%, those that make it to 70 had a 73% chance. It starts to drop off after you hit 80, 50% and then once you're 90, it's 18%. When you're 100, you only had a 1% chance of making it to that age. It pretty much goes to zero once you hit 112.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

You guys are depressing.. Couple years away from 40. So far lost my sister at 27, MIL at 50, grandpa at 82 and grandma at 91. Wasn't ready for grandpa or really grandma since they sorta happened out of the blue. Learned alot from grandpa. Bunch of other family members.. getting older really sucks. No one from my class though, I guess that's coming.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
You guys are depressing.. Couple years away from 40. So far lost my sister at 27, MIL at 50, grandpa at 82 and grandma at 91. Wasn't ready for grandpa or really grandma since they sorta happened out of the blue. Learned alot from grandpa. Bunch of other family members.. getting older really sucks. No one from my class though, I guess that's coming.
When you are young you don't think of going out of existence (dying) because you think you will live forever. However, as the years go by and you start attending more and more funerals, you finally begin to see that you too will have family, friends and acquaintances gathered to celebrate your life post tuam mortem. You begin to pay more attention to the obituary section of your newspaper.You pick a trusted individual to administer your will and visit an attorney to get your last wishes down on paper and file it with your doctor, hospital,bank and financial administrator. Along the way you have purchased a burial plot and headstone with all pertinent information less date of death.You make an appointment with a funeral home. The director will be more than glad to see you. Your eyeballs will roll around in your head as he transcribes what you want for a funeral.You may be traumatized for awhile on the way home. You might visit your gravesite if you like to attend Memorial Day services. You will probably see your last resting place when you attend funerals. You will finally get it. A few may even recall what Mark Twain had to say about dying. "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." And one or two might ruminate about what the Sisters of ???? and the SJ,OP et al filled you mind with many,many years ago when you didn't have much experience with the world and believed everything you were told. Guaranteed that you will do some of the things above. You most certainly will. The Second Law of Thermodynamics will enfold you just as it does all of existence.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

They had their fun (V8, V10, straight W30, non-CAT pipes, and stuff) and now they got onto the complaining stage...

Me, I live pretty lose to a Harley dealer... Do you know how many ride without helmets?

That kind of death rate at a young age in a group of people growing up together points at a common factor. Could be an environmental factor. Maybe everyone at your high school was exposed the same toxic substance. I'm thinking toxic carpet glue, chemicals in drywall, mold, those school lunch specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back