Loose filter gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some Maxlife and a new ProSelect filter from Napa yesterday for my oil change this weekend and noticed that the gasket on the filter is loose. It just popped right off the filter base plate when I looked at it after I got home. It fits in the area on the base plate well enough, but I have never seen any brand of new unused filter have that happen with the gasket. Is it normal and is it OK to use the filter? Or am I just being another OCD BITOG'er???

Thanks for any help.

I had a few Purotators that had gaskets that fell off. I just make sure that the gasket is seated properly before I install the filter.

Just put it back in the groove, and then oil it, and put it on. Make sure the old gasket is not stuck on the engines filter mount before installing a new filter.

Originally Posted By: Pete C.
Just put it back in the groove, and then oil it, and put it on. Make sure the old gasket is not stuck on the engines filter mount before installing a new filter.

+1

Thanks guys for the help. I figured it would be OK, just never really seen it happen before. I always double check and triple check the filter mount for the old gasket before installing the new one. I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago when I changed the oil in an old Toyota Celica I used to have and dumped oil all over the shop floor.

Thanks again.

I had to stop at Napa today to pick up a new oil filter wrench and so naturally had to take a look at the oil filters. All 3 Napa filters had the same thing with the gasket; it just lifted up out of the groove on the base plate. So it must be a normal design characteristic. Just for the sake of being an OCD BITOG'er I'll check the gasket on the old Purolator PP filter when I remove it and see if it lifts out just as easily. I am sure however that this really doesn't make one bit of a difference. Wix builds very good quality filters. I was really impressed with the build quality for the price of the Proselect oil filter, and the Proselect air filter I bought was also built very well.

The gasket also just lifted up off the old PP filter I removed today. I just never noticed it before. I guess I was just being an OCD BITOG'er, which really isn't such a bad thing anyway.

Ive noticed this happen with a few STP filters Ive used in the past. However, the filters worked just fine, so no big deal. I wouldnt worry...
21.gif

Most likley, the gasket on an "old used" filter will not just lift out. It's pretty much cooked in place by the engines heat and the fact that it is compredded and "set".

I've had it happen before. Returned the first one thinking it was defective but realized that you can just put them back in and put it on the car and it'll be fine, as long as you re-install it properly and tighten it properly.

Yeah I did oil change on Saturday and have had no leaks or any problems with it. Oil pressure is holding up fine and the ProSelect seems to be a good solid made filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back