Looking to replace Daily Driver Camry 2017 SE - Battery Type 24F

Looking to replace Mrs camry 2017 (OEM battery) - developed a hesitant to start last week - Volt test @9.8-10.2 VDC Battery is 6+ years old abt 48Kmiles OEM battery.
Looking for best value (not cheapest not the best) - I heard Bosch or X2 are the best for my application (Atlanta driven 100-150 miles a week)

Toyota uses Exide from my understanding so that might be something to consider. Supposedly home depot carries them.

An East Penn battery from O'Reilly's, NAPA, Federated or Batteries and Bulbs. The serial number will begin with the letters "EP". Some Walmarts even carry them. You can email E.P. with your zip code and they can tell you what locations in your area carry them.

I was going to recommend the NAPA Legend that has been going strong for me now for 7 years. But I did a little research, and it seems they are now made in India or Turkey or who knows where. The Battery Game is not an easy one anymore.

Walmarts in the Northeast carry East Penn. They used to do "southern" versions of batteries with, I presume, thicker plates and less CCA but I think this stopped. I'd get a value battery from them iff it was EP.

Walmart MAXX. Check for online rollback price deals before you go to the store. If they have it on rollback on the internet they do not match that at the store but you can save yourself 35 to $45 depending on the rollback price. You still pick it up at the store and it's the same battery but if you buy ahead of time you can save yourself some money. You can go to Napa or Advanced Auto or AutoZone and get the exact same battery for 20 to $40 more and they'll give you a different prorate warranty that essentially isn't worth much at all by the time you have to trade in the battery when it's used up. Walmart has the best bang for the buck for the price of the battery including the warranty. And it's the exact same battery you'll find at other stores but the sticker on it is different. Just make sure you get the m a x x version of the Walmart battery.

what do you guys/gals think about this option

Can have some of the best pricing, but they recently changed their 36 month warranty from replacement to a pro rata basis, which has altered the equation.

It will depend largely on your application, and what options are available in your area, especially if you're picky about the battery's OEM.

As an example, for my typical H6 application:

Standard FLA H6:
Costco - $120 - 36 mo pro rata
Walmart - $160 - 36 mo free replacement

AGM H6:
Costco - $170 - 36 mo pro rata
Walmart - $180 - 48 mo free replacement

First case is a +$40 bet to recover full value if it fails within 3 years, or being happy with half value by not paying that premium. Debatable to pay $40 to recover $60 in value.

Second case isn't much of a debate; only +$10 bucks for a full 4-year warranty vs. a 3-year pro rata, for a premium segment battery that usually carries better terms in the marketplace?

The Costco battery will be from Clarios. The Walmart battery may be made by East Penn, Clarios, Delkor (their former joint venture with GM in Korea), or ATLASBX, depending on the supply chain that serves a particular area.

Weigh your own application/risk/reward accordingly.

Walmart has 3 and 4 year warranties on batteries now. Good value, thousands of stores all over the country for warranty. Hard to beat.

Costco Interstate 24F $120 Prorated for 36 months.

Or

Walmart's Everstart Maxx $140 with 3 years free replacement.

I paid $88 plus tax for a 24f Walmart MAXX last September on roolback online pricing and purchase online. The store would not match the rollback price if I bought it in person at the store. But after I bought it online with the rollback price I could pick it up at the store.

They rotate through a cycle of which batteries they put on rollback. So it's not likely that you're 24f will be on rollback when you go to buy it but it's worth checking.

Just go to Walmart online shopping and purchase it online ( you can do that on your phone ) and see what the final prices is when you go to check out. If it's on rollback it'll come up.

Last edited:
I think at this point your just buying a warranty.

I bought the $55 - 24F from walmart almost 2 years ago. When I got it home it tested only a 80% health, so I figured, yep this one isn't for much - but almost 2 years later it hasn't degraded much. I have had several walmart batteries, even the good ones, die at 2 years in this vehicle. Our Southern heat along with the vibration. I did put a 1/8 inch piece of silicon rubber under it this time to dampen some of the vibration, maybe that is helping?

Back