Finally replaced my Camry

Unfortunately, my daily driver 2007 Camry went to the scrap yard in the sky a few months ago. Sucks because I just replaced the engine less than a year ago and at "only" 175k it seemed like the rest of the car still had plenty of life left in it. After going through a particularly stressful time, I dozed off for a split second, hit a guard rail, and woke up sliding down 150 feet of embankment before finally coming to rest in a ditch. Car was obviously totaled but amazingly I walked away without a scratch (except for cutting my leg on a bush climbing back up the hill). Score one for modern safety requirements.

IMG_20201214_120008.jpg

Insurance actually paid me more than the car was worth without a fight, and since I still had plenty of vehicles I could use, I didn't bother to replace it right away. Eventually settled on a 2017 Chevy Bolt a few months later, and went to go purchase one literally the day after it turns out they had been recalled and dealers weren't allowed to sell them. Figured I'd deal with vehicles getting 20mpg or less for a few more months until the recalled batteries are supposed to be fixed in early 2021 and then get my Bolt still, but then the wife's Versa gets T-boned by an idiot with no insurance, license, or registration. Great, now we really need another vehicle that doesn't suck down the gas.

Last weekend I went to look at Volts and came home with this 2017 with 31k on it. Just in time to take advantage of a $1,000 rebate from the power company that's expiring at the end of the year, and originally sold in CA so the battery and hybrid system are warrantied until 150k.

IMG_20201213_150225408.jpg

IMG_20201213_150233571.jpg

IMG_20201213_150249203.jpg

I've only put about 100 miles on it so far, and ~70 of those were bringing it home from the dealer running on gas, but my initial impression is that I like it quite a bit. Went to Home Depot yesterday, 27 mile round trip and didn't use a drop of gas. I normally drive about 50-60 miles a day, so I might be filling up once a month-ish? It charges from completely empty in about 12 hours, so I should get by just fine by plugging into 110 every night.

Suspension isn't nearly as floaty as the Camry, and I quite enjoy the smooth, quiet operation in EV mode, where I figure I'll spend most of my time. Even in gas mode, it pulled hills completely effortlessly without any loss of power or harsh downshifting since it's my understanding that the wheels are (almost) always entirely electrically driven. Quality seems a lot better than my last GM product, a 2000 Cavalier. The car itself is a base model with (I believe) no options, and by no options I mean it still has power windows/locks, keyless entry, keyless start, backup camera, cruise control, Bluetooth, and Android Auto. Can't think of anything else I'd need, really.

Since my wife prefers hatchbacks, she'll still be getting a Bolt when they're available again to replace her Versa. That way we'll have one full EV and one that still takes gas for longer trips.

Last edited:
Ouch glad you’re okay. I hope the Volt gives you no trouble. The best safety feature is the driver.

Very nice, and even more so that you're both just fine after two very dangerous events. Congrats on the Volt! Very nice lines on that car.

Last edited:
Nice looking car! I still miss my 2012 Volt. Feedback from us early adopters was actually used by GM to improve this model. It should be a great car for you.

At least no one got injured. Thank your lucky stars.

Wife and you are not having a good month. Better days to come!

We have a Volt for work. Mileage is amazing and pretty fun to drive. The seat starts to get very uncomfortable for me after a couple hours though. There is something on the outside hip area that makes me crazy.

Glad you're ok. Just wondering if the new car has a drowsiness feature. That might have kept you awake and avoided the first crash. A lane departure feature might also work.

It doesn't have either of those, and my cheap [censored] wasn't willing to drop a few thousand more for a Premier that did (and I absolutely did not want black leather seats). So far I've been driving ~70-80 miles a day and have been averaging about 50 miles per charge with the heat set just as warm as it would be in a regular car (I don't see the need to sacrifice comfort for hypermiling), although I do leave the car plugged in for 5-10 minutes before I leave to preheat the cabin. At the time I usually drive, outside temperatures are mid-40s to mid-50s.

On gas, I'm averaging 38 mpg and including the ~70 mile trip home from the dealer, I've used 3 out of 10 bars on the gas gauge. Part of the reason that's low is because I have to drive uphill to get home, and by that time I'm running on gas. I've seen as high as 44 around town.

Last edited:
The Volt is a nice car. There are no gears shifting in the Volt, it stays in one gear all the way up to its top speed which I think is about 100. On charging it may default to the 8 amp, not 12 on 120v. It. It may have to be manually selected for 12 amp. The Volt hatchback area might be as roomy as the Bolt.

Apparently if I set up a home GPS location, it will save the default setting of 12 amps. I haven't gotten around to figuring that out yet. Ordered a screen to protect the opening under the bottom grille from rocks, as I've read that there are expensive radiators behind it that can get damaged.

One of the principals at a school district I work with has a Volt. I forget what year but he has had it for 2 or 3 years and loves it.

Back