Looking for oil suggestions/comments on mult veh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I'd like some comments/suggestions on oil selection.

I've been searching through the forums for oil suggestions on a variety of vehicles owned by myself and a few friends.

There is a ton of info on here, which is great, and here's what I've come up with so far. I am welcoming any suggestions on why you would or would not use the oils I have specified below. Also included is the current oil in use, mileage and general info/use of the vehicle.

I am leaning towards one brand of oil simply because it's easier, at least for the common oil in most of the vehicles, the more unique cases (Porsche 911 and F-350 PSD) can be different brands without a problem. Money is always an issue, not looking for the absolute most expensive oil in the world, but not looking for the cheapest either. Basically looking for the best oil that can be fairly easily found or shipped for a decent price, slightly more than retail Mobil 1 price is about what I'm expecting.

OCI's on most of these vehicles will be 7,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. The race car will be different as it's changed just about every race weekend.

Thanks in advance for any information posted and if you need any additional info feel free to ask!

Also, location in central Florida, so real cold weather operation isn't much of a concern. Sorry for the number of vehicles listed here, I appreciate your patience!

Vehicles:

1983 Mazda RX-7:
Use: Stock motor, Occasional street use and spare parts for the race car.
Mileage: 150,000
Current Oil: Castrol GTX 10W-30
New Oil: Not sure yet, haven't looked into the RX7's but as I recall dino oil is preferred in these motors.

1983 Mazda RX-7:
Use: SCCA Club Racing road race car
Mileage: Approx 2,000 miles on factory rebuild
New Oil: Not sure yet

1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged:
Use: Street driven car, no autocrossing, track days, etc on this vehicle (may change in the future but unlikely)
Mileage: 24,000
Current Oil: Mobil 1 10W30
New Oil: Amsoil ATM

1993 Porsche 911:
Use: Street driven car, likely HPDE track days in it's future.
Mileage: 58,500
New Oil: M1 15w-50, Amsoil Euro 5w-40 or Series 2000 20w-50 - not sure which is best here

2006 Honda S2000:
Use: Occasional street driving, cross country trips, HPDE track days, Autocrossing
Mileage: 10,500

1997 Acura Integra Type-R
Use: Old track car, currently a daily driver
Mileage: 117,000

2000 Acura Integra GS-R
Use: Old track/autocross car, currently a daily driver
Mileage: 112,000
Current Oil: Castrol GTX 10w-30 (has used this oil since new...)
New Oil: Unknown, may not change it, open to suggestions.

2002 Ford F-350 PSD
Use: Street driven, chipped, tows the race car, and some other towing jobs (boat, sleeper, etc)
Mileage: 59,000
Current Oil: ? some dinosaur oil and some anti-foaming diesel additive
New Oil: Amsoil AME

2005 Lotus Elise
Use: Street driven, occasional HPDE and autocross use
Mileage: 7,500
Current Oil: Castol Syntec 10W30

1992 Nissan 240SX SR20DET swap
Use: Street driven, HPDE and autocross use
Mileage: who knows.
Current Oil: Cheap dino (motor swap is 90% complete, not running yet, first few hundred miles were going to be cheap oil)

Like I said, I know that's a huge list, and I appreciate any comments you have on any of the vehicles/new oils/etc listed. Also, if there are any additives/clean up processes that should be followed on some of the higher mileages vehicles, feel free to post that too!
smile.gif

BTW, The only car with a UOA that was done was the 2006 S2000. If desired, I can post it up. I should do so anyways I guess.

Thanks again,
-Dave

I've used 10W30 ML syn and PP in my '04 S2000 with excellent results in SE TX. I do 5K OCI's (32K now), but would expect either to hold up well in your '06. I prefer the ML syn for quieting valvetrain noise, but the PP UOA's are a tiny bit better. I can't see how you could go wrong with Amsoil though. Do they make a 10W30 or 5W40 as recommended by Honda? Good luck with your new oils.

For the RX7s the AMSOIL site recommends:

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
SAE 5W-20 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil (My pick for racing RX-7s in Florida)
-26 To 29°F......10W-30
Above -15°F......10W-40, 10W-50
Above 16°F......20W-40, 20W-50
Below 32°F......5W-30
Below 0°F......5W-20

AMSOIL's listings for the 911:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*[1]
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (my pick since you already use Mobil 1 10W30 and already use the ATM)
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
-20 To 38°F......10W-30[2]
Above 14°F......15W-40[3]
Above 14°F......15W-50[4]
1. Synthetic oils are preferred.
2. Synthetic based oil.
3. Mineral based oil.
4. Synthetic based oil.
All Temps......5W-40, 5W-50[4]
Below 100°F......5W-30[4]

Integra:

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
Above 19°F......10W-30 (might as well stick with the ATM)
All Temps......5W-30[1]
1. SAE 5W-30 is preferred.

With all that ATM you are buying, you might buy it in cases of 4 gallons for the best price if you're not already.

INDYMAC,

AMSOIL has a bigger selection of synthetic motor oils than anyone else in the world! It's hard to pick just 1!

AMSOIL's recommendations for your 2004 S2000:

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil (great all temp/year around oil)
Above -4°F......10W-30 (Looks like a good oil for the Magnolia Trace!)
grin.gif

All Temps......5W-40

And they have the EaO20 nanofiber oil filter for your car. A great combination.

And Manual Transmission,.....GLS[1]
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
1. Honda MT fluid, P/N 08798-9016 (I used this in my 2006 Honda Civic Si i-VTEC. Much better shifting that the Honda fluid)
grin.gif

I don't think too many RX7 owners would use Amsoil for the simple reason that rotary engines burn a lot of oil. Especially those that are used for racing, they can use a quart every 2 or 300 miles in those kind of conditions. So to suggest Amsoil for these engines is quite foolish, you might as well just put in a dino oil that you got on sale for $1 a quart.

I dunno, these guys would seem to agree with me.
http://www.amsoil.com/racing/racers_of_yesterday/gallery5.aspx
http://scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/02-EP.pdf
http://www.snyderweb.com/drivingforce/lube.htm
SCCA’S Dave Palmer - Performance Racing

Dave Palmer's home track is the Portland (OR) International Raceway. His AMSOIL Mazda RX7 GT3 dominates. He posted 10 first place finishes in 2001, with 15 top five finishes.

http://www.swbs.com/01s2e1.html

I've used it in my FBs and FCs for years with a blessing from Mazda N. America. I at one time had a letter from them stating it was the best oil you could run in their RX-7. They were referring to Amsoil in general.

http://www.scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/epfinalrace.pdf
http://www.johnr.com/rx7faq/faq4.html

Quote:

I don't think too many RX7 owners would use Amsoil for the simple reason that rotary engines burn a lot of oil. Especially those that are used for racing, they can use a quart every 2 or 300 miles in those kind of conditions. So to suggest Amsoil for these engines is quite foolish, you might as well just put in a dino oil that you got on sale for $1 a quart.

I'm glad these guys didn't take your advice.

“We ran a six-hour Enduro. On the
220th lap we broke an oil line.
After two laps with little or no oil
we took the engine apart and
found no appreciable engine
damage. We feel this is a very high
tribute to the quality of AMSOIL
motor oil.”
– Dave Palmer - Driver
Mazda RX-7 GT3

Let's compare the Castrol GTX 10W30 with AMSOIL 20W50.

High Temperature/High Shear 3.19 5.1
Noack volatility 6.77 5.9
TBN 8.52 >11
4-ball wear 0.60 0.35
Flash point 400F 453F
Fire point 430F 489F

I would say the 20W50 is a step up.

Sorry, but when someone asks for help with oil selection and states "Money is always an issue, not looking for the absolute most expensive oil in the world, but not looking for the cheapest either. Basically looking for the best oil that can be fairly easily found or shipped for a decent price, slightly more than retail Mobil 1 price is about what I'm expecting." and later
"Nothing, not even a go search noob?"

And I respond with what the Mazda recommends for the car "
-26 To 29°F......10W-30
Above -15°F......10W-40, 10W-50
Above 16°F......20W-40, 20W-50
Below 32°F......5W-30
Below 0°F......5W-20
info posted on the AMSOIL site and sugggest a few products that AMSOIL recommends, and you say "to suggest Amsoil for these engines is quite foolish, you might as well just put in a dino oil that you got on sale for $1 a quart." and I respond with data that I based my recommendation on, what did you expect?

I'm not here to sell anything to BiTOG'ers. That is what the sponsors are here for. I've noticed alot of newbies here and others that might not be aware they can get some useful information about their application questions at the AMSOIL website. Even if you don't want to use their products, I think their application software and brand name product comparisons are very useful. If you've read all my posts you will notice I've also recommended Red Line, BMW motorcycle oil (made by Castrol), Castrol, Pennzoil and likely others for specific applications and desires.

If you're "tired" of AMSOIL "commercials" from myself and other AMSOIL enthusiasts, perhaps there should be an AMSOIL section like the Castrol folks have. That way we wouldn't have to bother you.

Quote:

INDYMAC,

AMSOIL has a bigger selection of synthetic motor oils than anyone else in the world! It's hard to pick just 1!

AMSOIL's recommendations for your 2004 S2000:

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil (great all temp/year around oil)
Above -4°F......10W-30 (Looks like a good oil for the Magnolia Trace!)
grin.gif

All Temps......5W-40

And they have the EaO20 nanofiber oil filter for your car. A great combination.

And Manual Transmission,.....GLS[1]
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
1. Honda MT fluid, P/N 08798-9016 (I used this in my 2006 Honda Civic Si i-VTEC. Much better shifting that the Honda fluid)
grin.gif

Thanks for all your info, Tim. I can understand the previous poster's complaint about "too much information" though. I have tried Amsoil XL 10W30 before. It seemed like good stuff (the price was right at $1/quart off of a dealer's shelf) about 3 years ago, but I bought the last 5 bottles they had and they said they wouldn't be buying any more. 3 of the bottles looked like they had sat for awhile with a lot of dirt and a different label than the other two. Bottom line...I was impressed with how it smoothed the engine out and quieted valvetrain noise after the factory fill was drained.
Since I'm pretty happy with my current engine oil and MTF (GM synchromesh FM), I'll probably stay with them for awhile. Are you the local sales rep here? If it continues to be difficult finding ML syn locally, I may give you a call.

I am an AMSOIL Direct Dealer and Account Direct in the Houston area and provide AMSOIL to about 90 Retailers, a dozen Commercial Accounts, and about 75 individuals in the area. However I believe the BITOG owner is not looking for anymore AMSOIL sponsors, so I cannot sell direct to a BITOG'er as they are encouraged to go through a site supporting AMSOIL salesman.

Hope this helps.

Indy: Are you running the PCX filter these days or are you using a different one? Any UOA's from your car? I'd be curious to compare.

Syntec: Whether or not it's the best oil ever, I couldn't see using the same oil for all applications, like a modified F-350 PSD....

rsylvstr: MC 5W-30 Synth Blend, even in the PSD and 911?

Tim: Thanks for all the info, some of the links will be very useful.

Patman: Yeah, I don't see a reason to run Amsoil in the rotaries either, not saying it wouldn't work or that ir wouldn't be better than cheap oil, but with the likely diminishing returns in a 100-200 mile OCI I don't think it'd be worth it. Perhaps for the 6 hour enduros.. but the car's lasted with Castrol GTX for enduros before anyways...

Overall I haven't seen anything against what I listed, although I do want to check into the MC and VML mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back