Looking for I/M Readiness Scanner

Made 3 trips to the smog shop this week and each time their machine says :

"Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring Ready Status : Monitor Not Complete."

My little Actron CP9125 code reader reads codes and that's it.

Smog shop guy says I'm using up all his printer paper. :)

I have an Autel AL329, very simple and easy to use. Was around $30 at Walmart and it does have I/M readiness check. Had it for a few years now and it still seems to be available to buy.

I believe Walmart has a cheap $20 Hypertough that has I/M readiness.

O2 heaters should run a few seconds every time you cold start your car. If its a inline engine it's the sensor before the cat, If it's a vee engine does the receipt specify bank one or two?

Are all newer vehicles ELM327 compatible. I plugged into a 2022 Nissan, and it didnt register. Plugged into a 2008 Nissan all good.

Edit - sorry - my mistake. I do have a Actron 9125 and it will not read readiness.

I also have a 9410 - looks mostly the same, and it will read readiness.

I would think almost any reader will also read readiness at this point - per some suggestions above. I don't recall paying that much for the 9410 - again years ago.

Last edited:
O2 heaters should run a few seconds every time you cold start your car. If its a inline engine it's the sensor before the cat, If it's a vee engine does the receipt specify bank one or two?

It has a pre-catalytic oxygen sensor at the collector after the rear exhaust manifold and then it has a post-catalytic sensor. I'm assuming the sensor that's not ready is the post-catalytic sensor, but I don't know for sure. The receipt doesn't specify which bank.

It has a pre-catalytic oxygen sensor at the collector after the rear exhaust manifold and then it has a post-catalytic sensor. I'm assuming the sensor that's not ready is the post-catalytic sensor, but I don't know for sure. The receipt doesn't specify which bank.
No real reason to heat the back sensors but some cars have have it to reduce the number of parts in the supply chain. If you check the emissions label under the hood it should specify it they are all heated HO2S of if the back are just O2S.

Edit: heating the post cat sensor would still show garbage data until the cat is hot enough to work.

Last edited:
Readiness monitors, codes, and pending codes are all different.

Readiness monitors simply indicate that the control system has seen enough "cycles" that if the sensor were going to throw a code, it should have already. Its there so you can't simply reset the entire system 5 minutes before your smog check. Its not just about how many miles you drive, but the number of hot / cold cycles and other reasons. Sometimes it can be a major pain to get them to reset, and it has nothing to do with the sensor not working properly. You just need to drive more cycles. I have heard of it taking many cycles, and no one is sure why.

A code is where the ECU has seen the same error a prescribed number of times. For example a single misfire won't give you a misfire code. You require a certain number of misfires in a row.

A pending code is where the ECU has seen the error, but not enough times to set a CEL. It won't fail emissions for a pending code - or it should not.

Codes and Readiness are not really related.

$25 will more than cover the cost of an OBDII setup for an android device that consists of a Bluetooth dongle and the Torque Plus app. Plus, the pair can be set up to log real time information for just about every OBDII system that is monitored to help diagnose problems. Here is the link for the Bluetooth dongle:

Also, the saved data is stored in an Excel-like spreadsheet that can be viewed on a computer using Excel or other similar programs.

I ended up getting the Autel AL329. It does everything I need it to do for the time being. It says that the oxygen sensor heater is not ready.

At least this way I don't have to go to the smog shop and have them tell me it's not ready.

I ended up getting the Autel AL329. It does everything I need it to do for the time being. It says that the oxygen sensor heater is not ready.

At least this way I don't have to go to the smog shop and have them tell me it's not ready.
Try using these tips, maybe it will speed up the process. I used this for my old Hyundai and got it to run them after a few tries. I don’t know if it’s the same for all cars but it’s probably pretty similar.

I did this.

Gas level 1/4-3/4 tank. Started the cold engine and let it warm up for 10 mins or so then I drove normally to the highway which is about 5 miles away (30-40mph). Got on the highway and kept the rpm’s around 2400 which in the old Elantra was around 65 mph. (I did it at night when there wasn’t any traffic) I drove for about 10 miles to a rest area and I let the car coast on the exit. Then I put the car in park and let it idle for about a minute. Then I snapped the throttle real quick and let it idle again for a minute and shut off the car and took the key out. I did this 3 or 4 times and then all the monitors finally ran and passed. I think the one that took the longest was also the o2 heater.

Hope this helps you too.

Last edited:
Back