Looking for first person story: My warranty denied because of oil used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't assume the dealership will always use the correct oil!! No idea if they have ever had a warrantee issue due to wrong oil. Talked to their service dept and advised they use the same oil for all of the vehicles they service. The specific oil was off spec. for my new 2021 Merc GLC 300. The oil was Mobil 1, so perhaps informal endorsement of its broad capabilities and confidence by said dealership.

I always change my own oil and filter since a quick-change franchise suddenly refused to change the oil on my VW Passat after using them to service my vehicle for the previous eight years. Why - advised the oil they had available was not to spec. Would not discuss why it had been fine previously.

Was the last time someone else changed my oil! Far as I know there were no ill effects on said vehicle. Driven 148K miles and then donated to charity. Was still running.

I suppose one thing can be said is that the NHTSA has accomplished their goal, since without any factual or technical reasoning the public has been cowed into extrapolating CAFE wording into a broad-based and unfounded fear.

I think that's pretty much it. People continually regurgitate the CAFE line, that you should only use what oil your engine is "specd" for. Even though that same engine is "specd" for higher viscosity oils in countries where CAFE doesn't exist.

I would love to know in real numbers, how many people were rejected to have major engine work performed under warranty, because they had the "wrong" oil in their engine?

Probably the same amount who went to jail, because they shot someone in self defense with the "wrong" type of ammunition. Instead of something that was kinder and more gentle.

We tend to believe these lawyers to the point they can bend a beam of light, by the way they can present B.S. in a courtroom.

Don't assume the dealership will always use the correct oil!! No idea if they have ever had a warrantee issue due to wrong oil. Talked to their service dept and advised they use the same oil for all of the vehicles they service. The specific oil was off spec. for my new 2021 Merc GLC 300. The oil was Mobil 1, so perhaps informal endorsement of its broad capabilities and confidence by said dealership.

I always change my own oil and filter since a quick-change franchise suddenly refused to change the oil on my VW Passat after using them to service my vehicle for the previous eight years. Why - advised the oil they had available was not to spec. Would not discuss why it had been fine previously.

Was the last time someone else changed my oil! Far as I know there were no ill effects on said vehicle. Driven 148K miles and then donated to charity. Was still running.

Honda dealer around here would put 5W-30 into everything.

I saw it happen first hand more often than I care to remember when I worked for an extended warranty company. "Use of improper fluids" is usually what they call it and they use it as an excuse to weasel out of otherwise legitimate claims. If you are still under factory bumper to bumper warranty or under any kind of CPO/manufacturer extended warranty it is best to read the entire warranty and find out what it requires and use only those kinds of oil or other lubricants. Branded dealers can deny claims just as fast as an extended warranty admin will if they think or claim the owner used some non-OEM approved oil. They will call it abuse or negligence and deny the claim. If you are under any kind of warranty, don't risk it. Use a dealer/manufacturer approved oil and filter, save all of your receipts and document the date you did the work, mileage, and anything else you did. Also make sure you follow the rest of the maintenance that the manufacturer warranty requires and document those too. Tire rotations, brake inspections, air and cabin filter changes, fuel treatments if the warranty allows them, anything in that maintenance schedule if you do it or have it done by someone else, make sure you keep all the paperwork just in cas
A warranty could be denied if you just “DIY” your oil changes. When we bought our 4Runner, the salesman said the value of our truck would go down if I did them myself. 🤷‍♂️ (My time going to the dealer aside, it has too many skids for me to trust a dealership goon not to mess up.)

On a side note, dad just traded in his SHO for an Expedition. They gave him what the car was worth and I did the oil changes myself from day 1. That didn’t seem to bother the

Last edited:
It's kinda already been said, but I'm a fan of echoes.

In this case, the manufacturer wouldn't need to prove the higher viscosity oil did damage. They would just need to show that their warranty is based on the use of a xW-16 or xW-20, and their performance/longevity claims cannot be held subject to an 'untested' grade.
There is no OM that says if the "recommended" (not "required") viscosity isn't used that the warranty is void. If the manufacturers wanted to mean that, they wouldn't say "recommended" in the manual.

And all the newer Toyota OMs have a statement that make it OK to use a higher viscosity, decided by the owner. I'm actually surprised they leave it that nebulous, but it says using a higher viscosiy is better suited for more severe vehicle use. That OM statement pretty much gives the owner an out if a dealership pulls the "your warranty is void for using a thicker oil" nonsense.

Some OMs say warranty "could" be void if "additives" are used, but never seen an OM specifically say if the "recommended" viscosity isn't used, the warranty is void.

Last edited:
But it’s not. Besides that, the oil would have to be the cause of a failure and no engine is going to fail because of the use of a somewhat higher HT/HS oil.
There is no OM that says if the "recommended" (not "required") viscosity isn't used that the warranty is void. If the manufacturers wanted to mean that, they wouldn't say "recommended" in the manual.

And all the newer Toyota OMs have a statement that make it OK to use a higher viscosity, decided by the owner. I'm actually surprised they leave it that nebulous, but it says using a higher viscosiy is better suited for more severe vehicle use. That OM statement pretty much gives the owner an out if a dealership pulls the "your warranty is void for using a thicker oil" nonsense.

Some OMs say warranty "could" be void if "additives" are used, but never seen an OM specifically say if the "recommended" viscosity isn't used, the warranty is void.

It seems I've been misunderstood or I'm conveying my point poorly. I don't know how to phrase it any differently though, so I'm going to leave it at that. I agree with both of you.

I don't think they will be able to tell if you use the same oil going from too thick to too thin. They might see sludge and concludes you didn't change your oil frequent enough instead of you using a non detergent oil for some Euro long drain oil or a gasoline oil in a diesel engine. If they have the photo to prove you sort of have to bust your receipt out to prove what you bought or where you do your oil change.

They will likely not need much to prove they were right with the photos but you will have to do all the work to prove it doesn't matter you use a different than spec oil. It might even be a bad head gasket but they blame it on oil and now you are afraid of showing your receipt because they show the wrong oil used.

As others said they have a room full of lawyers and stacks of test data but you have to argue your way out and can only afford a cheap lawyer. Odds would not be in your favor.

Sorry if I missed this above, but also don't assume your used, dealer purchased vehicle's power-train will be covered for ~5yrs/60K miles (or longer if "certified used" or a contract is purchased) in the event you need oil change records for the time period before you owned the vehicle.

I've read of several instances now, where owners had major engine problems, but only had oil change records to support the time period they owned the vehicle. They were deemed SOL by the manufacturer.

Years ago, we had a service advisor try and convince us that a warranty issue with a turbocharger on a Duramax was due to the John Deere 15W-40 we were using being "too thick." Same advisor also tried to sell an oil change because the oil was black.....on a diesel.

Engine replacement denied on a 2015 Kia Sportage due to missing receipts.

Engine replacement denied because the owner did "driveway oil changes" ... yet the problem that causes those engines to fail isn't caused by owner oil changes. They wouldn't do a free replacement program for all those model years if engines were blowing up from owner maintenance.

Engine replacement denied because the owner did "driveway oil changes" ... yet the problem that causes those engines to fail isn't caused by owner oil changes. They wouldn't do a free replacement program for all those model years if engines were blowing up from owner maintenance.
ya ,really

They were denied because he could not produce the receipts for all of them...not because he DIYd it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back