Looking for a 2 stroke oil to replace Ipone Samurai

Up until recently I've been using the last bit of my Ipone Samurai racing oil in my ope (left over from a messed up order with Dennis Kirk). This stuff burns REALLY clean. I was using it in my Stihl 026 that I top ended (at 32:1) and even after several trees and a couple of gallons of fuel, the bore and piston top are literally spotless. Zero carbon accumulation on the piston. Without exaggeration, it looks like I just put it in. So I'd really like to replace it with similar, but after some searching, it looks like it's no longer available. So what is a guy to do? Does anyone know if there is a comparable replacement?

Jaso FD rated should do you pretty good.

I like echo red armor. Walmart carries VP Racing 2 cycle oil which is also JASO FD.

if you really want your oil it looks like no one distributes it in USA..
Ebay has it

Up until recently I've been using the last bit of my Ipone Samurai racing oil in my ope (left over from a messed up order with Dennis Kirk). This stuff burns REALLY clean. I was using it in my Stihl 026 that I top ended (at 32:1) and even after several trees and a couple of gallons of fuel, the bore and piston top are literally spotless. Zero carbon accumulation on the piston. Without exaggeration, it looks like I just put it in. So I'd really like to replace it with similar, but after some searching, it looks like it's no longer available. So what is a guy to do? Does anyone know if there is a comparable replacement?

Looks like the 2 stroke oil you were using was an Ester Oil, I would look at Maxima K2 two stroke oil. Another good oil is BelRay HR-1, but I am not sure if this is an Ester Based 2 stroke oil. Either of these oils will be very clean burning, I have had good luck with Amsoil Saber Pro mixed at 40 to 1 but I believe the 2 other oils I mentioned are probably cleaner burning. I just looked up the specs of this Samurai racing oil, you might also want to look at Motul 8002T, that oil might be very close spec wise to the oil you were using.

Last edited:

I like echo red armor. Walmart carries VP Racing 2 cycle oil which is also JASO FD.

if you really want your oil it looks like no one distributes it in USA..
Ebay has it
Thanks for finding it, though I probably won't be going through the hassle of international ordering.

I absolutely love Ipone 2 stroke oils. The scoot city is what I use a lot in my ope and it is so clean and smells so nice. I always regret using anything else.

Just buy some Stihl Ultra 2stroke oil.Your saw will thank you.The 026 was a great model.Mix it at 50-1 and use fuel with a minimum octane of 90 and preferably no Ethanol.

Just buy some Stihl Ultra 2stroke oil.Your saw will thank you.The 026 was a great model.Mix it at 50-1 and use fuel with a minimum octane of 90 and preferably no Ethanol.
My saw would not thank you. Not a fan of stihl ultra. also not JASO FD rating and the OP wanted cleanliness.
What makes the ultra great besides brand and marketing?

Edit: fix typo.

Last edited:
I've been using Stihl ultra with 100LL from the airport. So far my trimmer seems to run just fine

Completely, and utterly wrong. It is by far one of the worst oils to pick from in 2023.

It is not JASO FD rated, it does not keep the top end clean, and it does not have much if any film left over in the bottom end. It is also overpriced.

I am hoping this was just a joke to get a reaction from us.

Almost any true EG-D/FD oil is going to be good.

Redline Racing Oil is the only oil that I've ever had a failure with due to rust and brass jet corrosion.

Here is a review from a two stroke oil tester:

Redline: This was a strange oil. The piston and cylinder looked good, with minor shiny spots but no scuffing, and everything was reasonably clean and well-lubed. But this oil actually left surface rust on the crank wheels, and tarnished the carb brass. It also had a tendency to gum up the carb jets for some reason. How a metal surface can be both oily and have rust on it is beyond me, but clearly this oil lacks any proper corrosion-inhibitors, and it must have very high levels of esters that give it a strong hygroscopic effect. I would never use it again, nor could I recommend it.

One easy suggestion is Motul 710. A strangely superb oil is Pennzoil air cooled 2 stroke. It's among the cleanest running two stroke oils ever made. The guys with 2t ultralight aircraft love the Pennzoil stuff for it's great properties.

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-104034..._1_2?keywords=710+motul&qid=1675463388&sr=8-2

One easy suggestion is Motul 710. A strangely superb oil is Pennzoil air cooled 2 stroke. It's among the cleanest running two stroke oils ever made. The guys with 2t ultralight aircraft love the Pennzoil stuff for it's great properties.

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-104034..._1_2?keywords=710+motul&qid=1675463388&sr=8-2

I wonder if Shell ultra synthetic (ED-G) is the same product as Pennzoil? Shell is ether in a PWC or snowmobile bottle, same product different label.
Great stuff imo, easy to find and not too expensive.
I mix it in the 32-40:1 range with alcohol free marine premium.

An old saying 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'.When you consider that Stihl HP and HP Ultra are probably the most used 2 stroke oils in the world and I haven't seen any failures with either oil over 30 years of selling them.
Please show me the tests of these oils that show them not performing.Why would the company that sells the most OPE in the world,produce an inferior 2 stroke oil?Makes no sense.
By the way Stihl don't claim an Fb,c or d rating,they simply say it exceeds Fb.
But of course this is BITOG where we worship oil ratings.The other thing is these oil tests are more related to motorbikes than outdoor power.A totally different duty cycle. `

Conklin Head Start is darn good stuff. (Should be plenty of Conklin dealers in Iowa, right?)

I've been using Klotz Techniplate in my OPE. If its good enough for big expensive 2 stroke higher hp/stressed sled motors than little OPE motors are not even a test for it.

An old saying 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'.When you consider that Stihl HP and HP Ultra are probably the most used 2 stroke oils in the world and I haven't seen any failures with either oil over 30 years of selling them.
Please show me the tests of these oils that show them not performing.Why would the company that sells the most OPE in the world,produce an inferior 2 stroke oil?Makes no sense.
By the way Stihl don't claim an Fb,c or d rating,they simply say it exceeds Fb.
But of course this is BITOG where we worship oil ratings.The other thing is these oil tests are more related to motorbikes than outdoor power.A totally different duty cycle. `

We are not talking failures with Stihl oils, its just that on many chainsaw forums and lawnmower forums where they talk about 2 stroke equipment, its not a very clean burning oil.

Back