Looking for 380acp for Concealed Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of people do. And with the ammo we have today they are better off than yesterday.

People have the same mindset with an .38sp out of a snub nose. We had an self defense here that a CCW shot this guy from 18 feet away 1 round center mass and he dropped dead. A big guy too.

Shot placement is VERY important. Even more is HAVING A FIREARM WITH YOU. I see plenty of people printing when that is illegal. They think that they are concealing but everyone can tell.

The smaller firearms to allow to carry and be within the law.

When I do carry my .380 ACP I feel just as safe as when I carry my .40 S&W. I can carry both so they ARE concealed depending on clothes. Same with a snub.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I see plenty of people printing when that is illegal. They think that they are concealing but everyone can tell.

Depends on state...

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I see plenty of people printing when that is illegal. They think that they are concealing but everyone can tell.

Depends on state...
Most CCW do require it to be CONCEALED. Utah's CCW is one of the most recognized and every state that I have carried in (just went accross the US) had that requirement. No printing. Did not make it to Wash state so I did not look up there though.

I carry a fullsize USP9 so you can tell if you are looking but no one ever does. Few people are actually looking for it. Im sure other carriers like you could pick it up but 99% of people pay so little attention it does not really matter.

I've got a kel-tec .380 and I love it! I also have a NAA .32 and the kel-tec is better in every way. I recommend the Kel-tec's to everyone. My uncle has one in .32 and I know several other people that have the .380's and we all think they are the best CCW ever.

I have a Sigma .380 although everyone knocks them (not totally unjustified) I have never had a fail to fire with it.

+2 on the Ruger LCP. The LCP has a slide lock to lock the slide back for inspection and cleaning. The KelTec does not. Plus the LCP is more refined in fit and finish. With cargo shorts, it fits very nicely in the pockets with a pocket holster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve20
Seriously-I didn't think anyone trusted their lives to a .380
regardless of the type of ammo loaded.
Guess you learn siomething new everyday

That's rich. There are plenty of firearms that shoot smaller than the 9mm that can be carried for self-defense. I've got a Walther PPK .32 that I carry. Used to carry a .25 when I was younger. Now, you can argue that these smaller bullets aren't as effective, but there's no arguing that they can still kill a person. Shot placement and control are key.

Vic

LOL! Q-branch of MI-6 has it right. Walther. Just ask Mr. Bond, James Bond.

Seriously, I have a PPK/S 380ACP and it's sweet.

So, Gents, what ammo do you suggest for maximum "impact" so to speak?

Finding 380 ammo around here is nearly impossible.

Originally Posted By: Tremo

So, Gents, what ammo do you suggest for maximum "impact" so to speak?

Finding 380 ammo around here is nearly impossible.

Plenty of it around here. (Now its not cheap these days)

Aguila .380 90grain JHP. $21 for 50.

380whole.jpg

Here is a round recovered from a few sheets of paper into gelatin.

closeup380.jpg

Weight was right at 90 grains and as you can see it expanded fairly well.
48.gif

Shot out of a Ruger LCP @ 10 yards.

Take care, bill

I like my ruger LCP. I always have it in pocket carry. Ive also carried a Glock 27 IWB with my MTAC and I can change that out to carry my XD-9. I want to get an XD9sc to carry more often, but I am a big fan of LCP.

I picked up the KelTec today. Hey, it only took me 11 months, that's life. I was undecided between that and the Ruger but one of the local stores had a lot of the accessories for the KelTec so that pushed me in that direction. I have some FMC for the range on Monday but will need to get something more suited to personal defense if anyone has suggestions.

Good call. I'm probably going to get me one, one of these days. Dad recently got the LC9 and I thought I might be able to buy his old P3AT for a decent price, but nothing doing. He still prefers the kel-tec to all his other concealed stuff.

I think you'll like it.

I own an LCP and P11 and I can't do the P11. Has to be a compact .380 if I'm going to carry it. I've gotten my hands on and fires most of what's available and my personal fav is the Diamondback .380. Best sights and excellent handling pistol. Looks like a mini Glock to boot.

I put 100 rounds through it today. I could only keep accuracy within minute-of-dirtbag under 20 feet. That's plenty for addressing bumps in the night or unnegotiated car swaps but really makes me wonder about the guy that was claiming he took a wild boar at 50 yards (yeah right!). I had one FTE plus one other time the slide was short about 1/8" and wouldn't fire until I nudged it home. The FTE was in the hands of my 9yo son so I can't say for sure that it wasn't his fault. I've heard complaints about the recoil on these but I found it easily manageable. About the only issue I had with it is that it's tough to find a good grip since it's so small. In my big mitts it's best one-handed and I'll probably get the extension that goes on the bottom of the mag to give me a little more to hang on to. I smashed my thumb with the spur experimenting with two hand grips.

I'm still looking for a pocket holster. The store I bought it from has the desantis nemesis on order. I'll be over to check it out when the come in.

For a little better grip, cut yourself a length of bicycle tube, relax it in some really hot water, and stretch it over the grip. I think Hogue may make a slipover for it, too.

Originally Posted By: cryption
I carry PMC Starfire and they are nasty little suckers.

image012.jpg

Wow. That's a hurt locker in anyone's book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back