First Conceal Carry Handgun?

Originally Posted by Marco620
Walther PPS M1 or M2
HK VP9SK
Springfield Hellcat

I've had a PPKS for over 6 years good shooting little gun. But the smallest I'd use for carry.

I alternate between a Sig P365 and a S&W442 . Both can be holstered or carried in a pocket rig . As stated previously , the little J Frames are not a pleasure to shoot but they aren't target guns . Shoot for proficiency , not fun .

Wife has a 9MM Millennium Pro now replaced by the G2C I believe. She loves it but really doesnt carry it around. Wife is petite and at the range, its like driving a luxury car to her. Nice and smooth.
We have three, all Taurus. The Pro, a Revolver and TCP.
The Pro and Revolver are fun at the range. But the TCP is for me to carry. Its tiny and can even be worn, if you wish, in a cell phone type case on your belt or just put the thing in your pocket with your car keys, almost ! All three pistols have been rock solid reliable.
I think the TCP has now been replaced by the Taurus Spectrum.
Honestly I would suggest at least one of you, take a good hard look at any of the tiny 380 compact pistols from Taurus, Ruger LCP, S&W M&P, maybe even keltec, much info on the internet.

Me personally, having owned now 3 Taurus models, if I was to replace my compact 380 with another or buy another, I would seriously look into the Taurus Spectrum (I know nothing about this newer model) and Ruger LCPII, S&W Bodyguard as well as some compacts from Keltec ect.
My first two go to choices would be the Taurus and Ruger LCPII both good names and can be bought for around $200.

The reason I suggest one of you get one of the above (or any of the recommendations at this size, price and weight), is because they are tiny pistols to carry with a CWP and you can not defend yourself with a pistol that you do not take with you because its to cumbersome to bring.

I would seriously look into the Taurus Spectrum (I know nothing about this newer model) and Ruger LCPII, S&W Bodyguard as well as some compacts from Keltec ect.
My first two go to choices would be the Taurus and Ruger LCPII both good names and can be bought for around $200.
lol...be prepared to be laughed at when you try to purchase an sd pistol. I would opt for the LCP first and the G42 second.

I am sure you would probably in a period of time end up with 2 or 3 Small pistol/ revolvers.

I'm guessing that this question will provide a wide array of answers, but I'll go ahead and ask anyhow.
I'm not big into guns when compared to a lot of people. I have an old 20 gauge shot gun and a 22 rifle.
For a long time I have been wanting to get my conceal carry permit and get a handgun; same for my wife as well.
I bumped into a couple local small town police officers and asked their opinions. They both strongly recommended a Glock 43 to get. Simple, easy to use, easy to clean, relatively inexpensive.
Any other thoughts on that or general advise or information for someone entering the conceal carry realm for the first time?
The officers also recommended a local class to take run by a 25 year veteran of the state patrol, which my wife and I would take as well.
Are you "just now" wanting a hand gun because you're in the group better known now as PANIC BUYERS? Have you EVER shot a hand gun? Do as the officers advised you to do. Go to a range and rent different calibers, models, sizes, etc. Take those classes like they advised. Then, ONLY choose what YOU'RE most comfortable shooting. Don't let others TELL you what to buy. Take their suggestions and either geaux with it, or stay with what YOU prefer.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE shooting!

It's all up to personal preference. It also depends on your size/frame, how slim your are, clothes you wear, comfort, etc. Conceal carrying is never going to feel 100% comfortable - it's more just getting used to it.

I carry a 9mm M&P Shield mainly because it's the most reliable handgun I've owned/shot so I trust it.

On learning when to pull the trigger and what will happen if you choose to do so I recommend everyone get a copy of the book called " In the gravest extreme" it's written by an ex-cop Massad F. Ayoob.

Range rentals are your best friend - try em all before you settle, and when you do settle make like you are are trying to get to Carnegie hall.
No one can tell you what fits your hand and works best for you.

To answer what my recommendation would be for a first carry piece a small double action revolver is a great choice and a solid foundation to any home armory.

A 357 is ideal because of its ability to shoot multiple ammo choices from a fairly tame, cheap and easy to get 38's, to red hot 357 Magnums.

Another reason this is a great choice is this ammo is viable in a rifle with the same ammo flexibility, and when 357's come out of a 16-18" barrell they are absolutely sizzling capable of taking down anything at short range with the recoil of cap gun.

One box of ammo - both guns covered.

Best sir,

UD

Originally Posted by rdevans89
I always recommend a DA revolver to start. Safe, simple, and effective. Also if your wife or girlfriend had to use it she could, again so simple.

Because girls are dumb or something?
There is less of a learning curve . I see women at the range handle any type of semis with ease and proficiency. My wife can shoot 1911 and Springfield XD and the Kahr 9mm well but prefers the revolvers best.

There is less of a learning curve . I see women at the range handle any type of semis with ease and proficiency. My wife can shoot 1911 and Springfield XD and the Kahr 9mm well but prefers the revolvers best.

Brings to mind a few years back when my wife and I took our CWP tests.
Out of about 12 people at the range I would say my wife was just about or tied with the guy who blew out the center star on the target.
She was shooting her 1st Gen 9MM Taurus and is dead on accurate with it, she loves this gun, says it shoots so smooth.

From what I hear at ranges, many woman are more accurate then men, they have the composure. Whether that is true or not, all I can say what my wife is capable of, male or female we are just humans and others have some abilities others dont. But as men, we somehow think we are better at a "manly" things such as handling a gun. Ummm ... I don think so.

Out of about 12 people at the range I would say my wife was just about or tied with the guy who blew out the center star on the target.
She was shooting her 1st Gen 9MM Taurus and is dead on accurate with it, she loves this gun, says it shoots so smooth.

From what I hear at ranges, many woman are more accurate then men, they have the composure. Whether that is true or not, all I can say what my wife is capable of, male or female we are just humans and others have some abilities others dont. But as men, we somehow think we are better at a "manly" things such as handling a gun. Ummm ... I don think so.

The big thing I've found is that women can take direction and learn to shoot well if they have an interest. To many men have such a ego you can tell them very little.

Women pickup fire arm proficiency instantly I like to watch the CCW firing classes at the range.

I agree there's no one fits all model. Look at, feel and shoot as many different models as you can and make your own decision. At least 95% of the time my carry weapon is a Taurus PT709Slim. I've got other 9's but this is the one that fits and feels best in my hand. The worst thing about the 709 is the lower round count capacity of 7+1. I bought and carry an 8 round ProMag for mine. It adds an extra round capacity and adds approximately 1/2 to 3/4" to the gripping surface for better gun control. The model number has changed since I bought mine and it now goes by G2S but is basically the same gun. I have no idea of the times I've gone to look at a pistol thinking maybe I'll buy one of these but, as soon as I put it in my hand I decide against it. If it doesn't feel right in my hand I know it's just a waste of money because I'd never shoot it.

Back