Long-suspected link between cats and schizophrenia could be real: new study

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Kind of a weird read to say the least. Not saying the article is wrong, although it very may well be. I would rather share the old saying " figures lie and liers figure".

New medical research suggests that owning a cat could double the risk of developing schizophrenia.

Could it be that people at risk to schizophrenia are a match for cat ownership?

I would wonder if its that over the cat leading to schizophrenia.
My guess too.

But as the article says, more research required.

(but now I feel better about not letting my daughter get a cat, lol)

My guess too.

But as the article says, more research required.

(but now I feel better about not letting my daughter get a cat, lol)
My adult Daughter has a cat that is 16 years old. Daughter makes it known she would rather lose her husband instead of the cat. When my Daughter goes on vacation, my Wife has to fly to Colorado to watch the cat ... .

I live five states away from my Daughter's cat, but that cat costs me thousands of dollars every year, and a lot of time....

Just imagine how many unemployed people there would be, if studies were outlawed. :unsure:
Touche, especially worthless and stupid studies.
I suppose it may depend on the cat but my cat is the most soothing companion I’ve ever had. She’s always right there purring if I’m agitated or if I’m sick.
My Black lab/Newfoundland mix WILL cause you to go insane if you don’t reel him in. Even the trainer said his energy is over the top. Thank god for dog trainers, he’s actually a well behaved dog now.

Yikes, here is the meat and potatoes of the article:

"That report suggested exposure to a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii could be the cause.

The parasite is believed to enter a person’s body through a cat’s bite or contact with a its bodily fluids or feces. It can also be ingested through contaminated water or undercooked meat.

It’s estimated that about 40 million people in the US may be infected with T. gondii, usually without any symptoms. However, the parasite can infiltrate the central nervous system and influence neurotransmitters."

Maybe if ones immune system is weak this can be an issue. The actual function of the toxoplasma on the immune system would need to be researched further.

Hopefully this could lead to some kind of treatment or early testing.

Last edited:
Back