LM 75W90 GL4+ vs. Redline MT-90 GL4...any real difference?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
This is for my front bevel box and rear diff on my Sportwagen. LM GL4+75W90 is $13/1L vs. the Redline GL4 75W90 at $19/L at FCP Euro. Not sure of the "GL4+ (GL4/GL5)" designation on the LM, as far I can see, I need GL4 for both of my applications. This is for a ~70K/3 year change which will be about my interval going forward. I'm not interested in what I can get locally/Walmart as I like to use FCP and this is part of a larger order for my DSG and Haldex and I can return these later for a refund next change. Also, going to run LM MoS2 for gears in both.

Last edited:
I would recommend not using any MoS2 in any MT as this is a friction modifier that would compete with the balanced friction modifiers already in the formulation.

Do you have a VOA of the LM GL4+75W90?

I would recommend not using any MoS2 in any MT as this is a friction modifier that would compete with the balanced friction modifiers already in the formulation.

Do you have a VOA of the LM GL4+75W90?
This is not for a manual trans (I have a DSG), it's for the front and rear differentials. I don't have a VOA for it but here is the PDS from LM:

P000233-High-Performance-Gear-Oil-(GL4+)-SAE-75W-90-38-en_GB-page-001.jpg

This is not for a manual trans (I have a DSG), it's for the front and rear differentials. I don't have a VOA for it but here is the PDS from LM:
Okay, I thought there was a transaxle involved so my misunderstanding. But I still don't see the need for any extra Moly.

We know the chemistry of the Redline oil but not the LM.

This is for my front bevel box and rear diff on my Sportwagen. LM GL4+75W90 is $13/1L vs. the Redline GL4 75W90 at $19/L at FCP Euro. Not sure of the "GL4+ (GL4/GL5)" designation on the LM, as far I can see, I need GL4 for both of my applications. This is for a ~70K/3 year change which will be about my interval going forward. I'm not interested in what I can get locally/Walmart as I like to use FCP and this is part of a larger order for my DSG and Haldex and I can return these later for a refund next change. Also, going to run LM MoS2 for gears in both.
I'm about at the first DSG service on my GSW, I have the oil/filter already, what method have you used for putting the new oil in? I'm looking at one of these hand pumps with fittings just never did that before. I did drain/fill on those "difs" a while ago just using the regular synthetic valvoline GL4 I got locally. I really would like to get on the FCP return train just need to be more organized to really take advantage of it all.

Okay, I thought there was a transaxle involved so my misunderstanding. But I still don't see the need for any extra Moly.

We know the chemistry of the Redline oil but not the LM.
Based on your knowledge of the Redline - I take it it's a solid product? Happy to pay a few more bucks for it. Appreciate the feedback on the MoS2 for gears, figured it was a "why not" but I'm kind of in to trying stuff.

I recently went thru this debacle for the Bevel Gear on an A3 Quattro. I went with the dual-rated Motul Gear 300 75W90.
LM doesn't even list an application on their site for the r. diff, only the bevel box. I emailed them, they said check their oil selector..hahahahaah.

I'm about at the first DSG service on my GSW, I have the oil/filter already, what method have you used for putting the new oil in? I'm looking at one of these hand pumps with fittings just never did that before. I did drain/fill on those "difs" a while ago just using the regular synthetic valvoline GL4 I got locally. I really would like to get on the FCP return train just need to be more organized to really take advantage of it all.
I use the recommended fill from the bottom method. I have the tool that threads into the drain and attaches to the bottle with a valve for on/off. I snake it up through the engine compartment. Very easy/fast. To go all-in on FCP like I have, you really do need to be orangized. I have a spreadsheet - I've saved ~$600 so far so $1200 spent on consuables for my 3 VWs. A great deal. Fast shipping. Great customer service. No-drama returns/lifetime replacement. I have a video somewhere showing it....I'll see if I can find it and post it to my YouTube channel/link it. I used the Liquimoly DSG fluid before, worked just fine.

Found it and posted it:

for my 2001 TT 225Q i find Redline lubes worth the xtra $$ + found some at 20% off over the holidays. LM is ok BUT not likely a true synthetic like Redline. i even use their engine oil in my small 4.25 qt sump + their 15-40 reduced consumption + shows more vacuum on my in car boost vac gauge. been using Redline for years + never disappointed. their MT90 cured my 5spd O2J in a 2001 jetta until i stripped the 5th gear at 25 lbs boost!!

for my 2001 TT 225Q i find Redline lubes worth the xtra $$ + found some at 20% off over the holidays. LM is ok BUT not likely a true synthetic like Redline. i even use their engine oil in my small 4.25 qt sump + their 15-40 reduced consumption + shows more vacuum on my in car boost vac gauge. been using Redline for years + never disappointed. their MT90 cured my 5spd O2J in a 2001 jetta until i stripped the 5th gear at 25 lbs boost!!
I think I'm going to splurge on the Redline for the gear oils. The LM DSG fluid has worked well and is quite a bit less than the VW stuff with no negatives I can see.

Given the added power and torque I'd recommend using GL-5 in both the bevel box
(it's NOT a diff) and the rear diff. Also, 'GL-4+' does not equal to meet both GL-4 and
GL-5. Actually 'GL-4+' is just a GL-4 with (supposed) added protection levels. Not sure
if LM now carries a proper GL-5. They didn't in the past, however I noticed LM now has
some excellent MTF (GL-4). In the US I'd probably go for RL or Amsoil, since Castrol's
(excellent) fully synthetic gear oils are harder to obtain in NA. For example the Castrol
Syntrans V-FE I used in the GTI's 02Q was shifting as effortlessly as VW's multi-$$$$$
G 052 527 (75W MTF). On a side note, for the VAQ/Haldex I use Ravenol AWD-H fluid.

(it's NOT a diff) and the rear diff. Also, 'GL-4+' does not equal to meet both GL-4 and
GL-5. Actually 'GL-4+' is just a GL-4 with (supposed) added protection levels. Not sure
if LM now carries a proper GL-5. They didn't in the past, however I noticed LM now has
some excellent MTF (GL-4). In the US I'd probably go for RL or Amsoil, since Castrol's
(excellent) fully synthetic gear oils are harder to obtain in NA. For example the Castrol
Syntrans V-FE I used in the GTI's 02Q was shifting as effortlessly as VW's multi-$$$$$
G 052 527 (75W MTF). On a side note, for the VAQ/Haldex I use Ravenol AWD-H fluid.
Good into thank you. Yes, LM lists a GL5 "Hypoid gear oil" now. Redline shows the 75W90 GL4 for both the front bevel box and r. diff.

Yes, but that's for the car in stock shape. Commonly using an API
GL-5 in a diff doesn't hurt. Maybe MolaKule might comment on this.

Last edited:
I used the VW Haldex fluid in the past and was going with Febi kit that FCP sells that comes with the Racingline mag drain plugs. I'll have a look at that Revenol fluid.

Yes, but that's for the car in stock shape. Commonly a using an API
GL-5 in a diff doesn't hurt. Maybe MolaKule might comment on this.
From my limited understanding/reading on this subject, seems like GL5 is ok to use in diffs but not in a MT b/c it's "too slippery".

Regarding oil same as a diff. Not sure it has some kind of offset,
probably it doesn't, so I wouldn't call using GL-5 a 'requirement'.

Back