LL-01 FE 0W-30

Cafe aside..........N63T3 Engine, for mid-cycle engine oil changes between annual service changes, should I stick with OE LL-01FE O30, Motul Specific LL-01 FE . Costs is about the same on either.

I do have *alot* of Castro 0W40 on hand in the garage as well

Last edited:
Is there any difference in the HTHS or other specs?

In warranty, I would stick with the BMW LL-01FE per the BMW bulletin which says you must use the recommended oils in USA. Out of warranty I would use LL-01 or LL-04, as both are approved as alternates outside of the USA. Castrol all day out of warranty :)

The statement on the document says this:
"Color-coded engine oils are recommended for the respective engine and are mandatory for the US market in accordance with legal specifications."

I have the N63T2 and since I drove so little I just did the annual changes at the dealer for the first four year (used to be four years free in Canada, now three same as USA), but now I am doing my own, so my first last year was Castrol Euro 5w-40 LL-01 but this coming year will probably go Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 LL-04 for no reason than a have a bunch for last year's sale and rebate.

Wait for edyvw for the definitive answer.

Last edited:
Cafe aside..........N63T3 Engine, for mid-cycle engine oil changes between annual service changes, should I stick with OE LL-01FE O30, Motul Specific LL-01 FE . Costs is about the same on either.

No, especially if you’re not in warranty just use LL01 not FE. I doubt you’ll have a warranty issue with LL01.

Still have another 3 yrs in warranty. Always have done mid cycle changes. This thing runs hot

Last edited:
I am in warranty and I use M1 0W-40 or PP Euro 5W-40 mid cycle in my S55. Not only will they never know, but the official oil list in TIS allows for LL01, the FE is just preferred. This is an older PDF but it hasn't changed for N63.

I'm unable to post the newer version TIS from 7/2023, but has the statement I posted above:
It says to use the appropriate coded oil (in this case LL-01FE):
"Color-coded engine oils are recommended for the respective engine and are mandatory for the US market in accordance with legal specifications." It says LL01 and LL04 can be substituted, with the fuel mileage disclaimer, outside the USA.

The risk is low, as the manufacturer has to prove the non approved oil was the reason for the problem. And that would be rare to have an oil be the actual cause.

Last edited:
I'm unable to post the newer version TIS from 7/2023, but has the statement I posted above:
It says to use the appropriate coded oil (in this case LL-01FE):
"Color-coded engine oils are recommended for the respective engine and are mandatory for the US market in accordance with legal specifications." It says LL01 and LL04 can be substituted, with the fuel mileage disclaimer, outside the USA.

The risk is low, as the manufacturer has to prove the non approved oil was the reason for the problem. And that would be rare to have an oil be the actual cause.
Legal as in BMW's legal obligation to the federal government. I don't think it affects warranty status. If it did they wouldn't X it as suitable, and the entire section is called "Technically suitable engine oils for petrol engines". They are careful to note that LL04 is not suitable for the US, which is a technical judgment. The intended audience for TIS is first and foremost BMW service centers, who would really love to cut corners if they were allowed to I am sure.

A voa of the motul got posted yesterday.

Here is a UOA on the BMW TPT 0w-30

Both the BMW and motul are available from FCP so you can use their lifetime replacement. Both look like fine options.

I would use the Castrol just because you've paid for it. It's not wine. Or just buy the dealer oil if it's as convenient.

Both the BMW and motul are available from FCP so you can use their lifetime replacement. Both look like fine options.

I'm all in for a part from FCP failing and taking them up on their lifetime warranty should the need arise.
Like an alternator, water pump. radiator, axle, etc.

For something like oil......different POV on their lifetime

👍

IMG_1235.jpeg

:rolleyes: I thought I saw it all on the Costco return line with mattresses, kids car seats, winter jackets being returned in the summer and the usual abuse that comes with it but I guess every store will have that sorta customer...

Just noticed there is a FCP LTG thread over here at Bitog. 14 Pages Deep. Motor Oil, Differential, Brake Fluid,a dozen wiper blades, and the long laundry list of items in that thread. Might be cheaper getting a new lease, as then you don't need to get on the USPS/UPS line to ship it all back

😬 Is this a sign of the times......had friend over. S68 engine....
Pan:Drain Plug is Plastic .

Last edited:
Thred BRUMP. Time for a mid cycle OCI. I don't care if I'm using FE or not.

- Loads of 0W40 Castrol on deck
- Order TPT 0W30 or Motul Specific

Option 2 is about $120 a OCI.....
Option 1- I did pay for the jugs back then, but it's basically unused *free oil* the way I look at it

I’d use M1 0W-40 or PP Euro 5W-40 before I used any of the FE oils personally. The Castrol is probably fine but I’d imagine it’s not even LL-01 depending on the age of the bottles.

Thred BRUMP. Time for a mid cycle OCI. I don't care if I'm using FE or not.

- Loads of 0W40 Castrol on deck
- Order TPT 0W30 or Motul Specific

Option 2 is about $120 a OCI.....
Option 1- I did pay for the jugs back then, but it's basically unused *free oil* the way I look at it
Go for it.

I would be hesitant to use full-SAPS oil like that Castrol in that hot running DI engine unless you are fine with the valve media blasting once in 60K-100K
I did not see much of the proof of using full-SAPS oil in recent BMW engines and have clean valves after 100K

I would appreciate if anybody can share a few cases with valve pics

PS: If it would be my choice I go with LL04, same HTHS

Last edited:
Back