Live view from the Tesla orbiting the Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The UV level is higher outside the atmosphere, but the Tesla got jettisoned towards Mars so the Sun's rays will become weaker as it moves away which will help the tires last longer. The side of the car continually facing deep space will try to cool down to below -200 F if it's not rotating like a pig on a rotisserie.

I doubt strongly that it's "driving" nose first on it's adventure, lacking anything stability wise (although maybe with nothing to run into, autopilot is humming along racking up those accident free miles.)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The UV level is higher outside the atmosphere, but the Tesla got jettisoned towards Mars so the Sun's rays will become weaker as it moves away which will help the tires last longer. The side of the car continually facing deep space will try to cool down to below -200 F if it's not rotating like a pig on a rotisserie.

I doubt strongly that it's "driving" nose first on it's adventure, lacking anything stability wise (although maybe with nothing to run into, autopilot is humming along racking up those accident free miles.)

Yeah, I doubt it's in a stable orientation. But if it was, the side facing deep space would cool way down over time.

But if it was, the side facing deep space would cool way down over time.

Yes, certianly.

(topic for another conversation, but mentioning it as I know that you'd be interested...but the new metamaterials that have different emissivities dependent on wavelength are amazing...even during the day, they radiate more to deep space than they absorb from the sun, providing cooling, even in the sun)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
... the new metamaterials that have different emissivities dependent on wavelength are amazing...even during the day, they radiate more to deep space than they absorb from the sun, providing cooling, even in the sun.

That is pretty "cool" (literally) ... might be good for some coating applications for space use too. Wonder if I could get a car coated with that stuff to keep it cooler on a hot day.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I wonder what kind of tires are on it... would be good advertising.
lol.gif

Sure hope they use N2 to fill them up. Hard to maintain out there.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
What happens when one of these rockets malfunction and comes blasting down to earth at 300mph in a densely populated area?

SpaceX would likely be out of business the very next day.

I'm assuming they know this, and have gone beyond the ultimate level of making sure that never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back